Is a Catalyst 60 as loud as a Katana 50?

pipelineaudio

Shredder
For our smaller shows, the katana 50 keeps up with drums just fine, can I expect the same from the Catalyst 60?

I would think so, no problem. I have the 200 and it is real loud. At practice I'm set up right next to the drummer in a small room and I have no issues. Sometimes I am asked to turn down so the lead guitarist that has a Spider III 212 can be heard better. Not that his amp wont keep up, if he wants to, but the louder his gets it doesn't sounds as good at higher volumes as the Cat.

Just out of curiosity, why not spend $50 and get the 100w version. It has true midi capabilities with DIN plug vs midi over USB plus a few other features the 60w doesn't have like stereo headphone jack, the 60 is mono. Some also say the slightly bigger cab on the 100 sounds fuller. The 100 is only 6lbs more than the 60w. For me it would be a no brainer for $50. When I was going in to buy the 100w and at the time the 200 was on sale for only $10 more than the 100w so I bought the 200. I would expect if you decide to sell it down the road, you would get more for the 100w too.

I use mine in poweramp mode with my Stomp XL and it sounds great at practice with the rest of the band.

Yeah they should be pretty similar.

The Cat 60 has a bigger cabinet and warmer speaker that sounds better to my ears at least at lower volumes, but the Kat 50 may end up sounding punchier and cut more.

Back