Looking for an mini amp for Green day tones

Is the NUX Plexi pretty good?

it's almost marshal 8100 good, it has more gain I think. the gain knob is like jvm lead channels, it's not really a taper, it's just ON and MORE. the only adjustment you get is below 10 o'clock, but luckily, the gain structure is usable and musical all the way down to off in the first half. can't say that for much high gain modeling

If you just need something to play through, a Blackstar Fly 3 or a Boss Katana Mini would be just fine. The Boss is a bit bigger and has a couple more tone controls, but the Blackstar works fine too. Both are little practice amps so won't work outside the house. Both should have plenty of gain and I think both have a nice little delay feature that can be interesting to play with.

I bought some used gear as a package about 8 months ago and a Fly 3 was included. TBH, this little sucker sounds great and loud enough for a couch amp and does have delay thats not that great but good enough for what you are buying. If I wanted to buy one, I would spend the extra money to get the BT version so you could use it as a BT speaker to play music through but then you are getting into the used price range of a Katana 50.

To the OP, IMO, you should go wash some cars, do some yard work, help the neighbors, etc in your neighborhood for a few weeks and save up to get a Katana 50 or 100. Although the little practice amps sound decent, for the same money I would just get a used Katana for around the same price and not look back. 100x better than one of these amps for about the same price IMO

Since you are young and have limited funds, you should buy quality gear you can afford once. Buying something just to get you by for now with the intention of getting what you really want later will just be a waste of money. You will have plenty of time to do that later when you have a real job. The Katana will get you by for the next few years where the Blackstar will start pissing you off once the newness wears off.

Hey
Thanks for your reply and advice i'll look into all of it but making hy at the moment .
But out of curisoty what cheap humbucker you advise that sound like a seymour duncan sh4jb?
Thanks
Toby

Hey
Thanks for your reply and advice i'll look into all of it but making hy at the moment .
But out of curisoty what cheap humbucker you advise that sound like a seymour duncan sh4jb?
Thanks
Toby

You should be able to find used JB's all day long for $50 or less, or whatever the equivalent is in your country. Next best option would be something like a Tonerider Generator bridge pickup which is a good quality import version. In a real pinch a Dragonfire Screamer would be solid too, those are surprisingly good for being dirt cheap.

Does the k rating effet the tone of a humbucker ? how different does a 16.6 sound to a 15k ?

Does the k rating effet the tone of a humbucker ? how different does a 16.6 sound to a 15k ?
In the grand scheme of tone it means little. It's just a way of spec'ing out a particular model pickup for those who want more detailed info. Type of magnet(s) matters for sure. You might want to do some research into magnet types like A5, A8, ceramic, etc.

It depends on how it’s wound but at that price range it doesn’t matter much. Honestly I’d just wait to get a used Duncan USA JB for $50.

Hey
Cool thanks for all your answers. I'll look into it but it's for my guitare build so maybe a cheap pickup for the moment then update in a few months .
I want to start a band but no one around me is intressed in music and stuff so it's bit hard ,i ve started writing songs and inproving my guitare playing.
Thanks
Toby

Hey
Cool thanks for all your answers. I'll look into it but it's for my guitare build so maybe a cheap pickup for the moment then update in a few months .
I want to start a band but no one around me is intressed in music and stuff so it's bit hard ,i ve started writing songs and inproving my guitare playing.
Thanks
Toby

good pickup in a garbage guitar > cheap pickup in average guitar. pickups + scale length + string gauge + pick gauge/type = 75% of artist signature tone

i don't even know what 'budget' pickup would be? Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio are all like $99 for the basics, a JB in a squire would still rip like a mfr. Idk what bj uses but my personal favorite is Seymour Duncan SH-14 custom 5, it's like a hotrodded 59, bass like crazy and a little mid scooped, but i'm a palm mute addict. I played a SH-4 JB for the first 6 years in a epiphone les paul standard, sounded like adam jones, really bright and even bass, strong mids, then one day i bought a LTD Viper 400 (all mahogany set neck gibson scale) and they had a Jazz/Custom5 configuration, SH-14 to JB is like WRX STi to a Corolla GR. Custom 5 has a huge pair of balls!

Back