Best guitar practice amp these days?

What's the difference between a practice amp and a ... erm... non-practice amp???

Possibly this:
Marshall Full stack – Google Suche-1.jpg

Marshall Full stack – Google Suche.jpg

IMO one of the best practice "amps" you can get for isolated home practice is anything that gives a headphone solution. I really think that the key to good tone perception is to not hear your own electric's acoustic string sounds when playing, and at low volume levels, headphones are the way to immerse. Everything else feels thin and unsatisfying at bedroom levels.

Yamaha THR series are still king for me; owned the original THR10 for a couple years, sold it and moved to the THR10X when that came out (which I still have) and even had the THR100HD

They all rule

I'd go as far as to say that the THR10X isn't just my favorite practice amp; it's literally one of my favorite amps ever.

I've even played live gigs using that little fucker in to my Powerstation + cab

Yamaha THR series are still king for me; owned the original THR10 for a couple years, sold it and moved to the THR10X when that came out (which I still have) and even had the THR100HD

They all rule

I'd go as far as to say that the THR10X isn't just my favorite practice amp; it's literally one of my favorite amps ever.

Man; I LOVED the THR100 I tried in GC here a few years ago. I was really surprised with how great it sounded from the minute I fired it up.

They all rule

I had a thr10 and thought it just sounded small tbh. I also don't think it took pedals particularly well so just went back to using an amp.

IMO one of the best practice "amps" you can get for isolated home practice is anything that gives a headphone solution. I really think that the key to good tone perception is to not hear your own electric's acoustic string sounds when playing, and at low volume levels, headphones are the way to immerse. Everything else feels thin and unsatisfying at bedroom levels.
I use headphones with my Axe FX when I need to be quiet, and the rest of the time I play through a power amp and guitar cab, just adjusting the volume as necessary.

An IR is just trying to fool your studio monitor into thinking it's a guitar speaker.

Well. Ok. So, when I listen to some gypsy jazz recordings, are those making my studio monitors think they were Django Reinhardt?

Why not just use the real deal?

Why would I? I still have some excellent guitar cabs (and some tube amps to feed them) and will never ever use them again.

I still have some excellent guitar cabs (and some tube amps to feed them) and will never ever use them again.
Looking to sell anything?
Have you heard of IRs?
Of course. I'm just playing devil's advocate.
I went down the whole "FRFR" w/IR road a few years back - HARD! 100% plugins through Genelec monitors.
In the end I just tossed it all and went back to old school.

But I'm fully aware there's lots of ways to skin a cat these days. I'm just fond of old fashioned.

YMMV
IMO
FWIW
SABHD

Back