Looking for an mini amp for Green day tones

Hey
Thanks for the advice . i heard the mg10 wasn't very good for green day . Wow you knew them !!! I'd love to meet them then ,they seem like such nice people .
Sorry I got confused i thought it was a actual pedal and not a patched for the pedal . I'm still saving up for a katana but it might have to wait till next year .
What mini amp would you guys recommend for under 100 ?i was looking at orange mini crush , blackstar 3 and a lekato 10w amp.
Thanks
Toby

I’d have a SuperStrat set-up guitar,
And a 2203, boost pedal.
However,
I’d hook up with Eddy Lenz & have him build me a custom Dookie amp.

Hello
Iam 15 years old and i love playing the guitare and love green day , so playing green day songs is the best of both worlds. i have got a harley benton les pauls but want to make a telecaster style partscaster with angled humbucker like he uses at the reading festival in 2013 and a squire sp10 amp and i am trying to get a green day tone from it but apparently these aren't very good amps and doesn't sound good on distortion so i want a cheap but good amp to practise with that gets close to billie joe armstrong tone .
I have looked at little practise amps and ones i am looking at are the boss katana mini, the blackstar fly 3 ,fender mustang tl 25,. or big ones the boss katana 50 . what does anyone thinks ? has anybody got any suggestions? what does anyone recommend ?
Would a marshall ms4 work ?

Thanks
Toby

bj uses hotrodded Marshall's, try a $50 nux plexi crunch pedal, any clean channel with bass mid treble will get you the rest of the way

I'd stay away from the Katana 50. Katana 100 is ok, pedal for switching is expensive! Catalyst may be a better deal
For combos, the 50 and 100 sound basically identical. There's not much difference other than volume and smidge of low end. The Katana 50 will hit 115 decibles the 100 will hit 118 decibles. The Artist 100 is definitely a step up in sound quality from either. All of these amps sound better than the catalyst for dirty tones. Catalyst does sound pretty great clean though.

A two button switch is like 15 bucks used on Ebay. If he's looking to sound like Green day, that's all he'll need. I agree with the big foot controller being pretty expensive considering how cheap these amps are.

Hey
so saving up to get a boss katana next year but for the moment i want an amp for under 100 . Which one would be the best for green day sound and loud enough with backing track between the blackstar fly3 the katana mini ,blackstar debut e15 and orange mini crush ?
At the moment i'm leaning towards the katana mini but how loud is it ? can i p[lug it into the squire sp 10 to make it louder ?
Thanks
Toby

Hey
Thanks for your replys and advice sorry i haven't replied to them yet. I just found a behringer v-amp 2 that can do loads of effets and sounds and using it until i can get a boss katana but i can't get a green day tone does anybody have any suggestions ? It's got settings for a marshall plexi 1959slp 100w and 50 w and a jmc800 and got gain ,treble,mid ,bass volume and master and presence and different sounds at the top MIDI ,DRIVE,CABINETS REVERB and NOISE GATE . i tried setting i like billie joes set up like on rig rundown.. here a photo

Thanks
Toby
I have someone in mind who could give excellent advice on this device: @Digital Igloo ;)

But seriously, you can't really go wrong with a Boss Katana or Line 6 Catalyst.

Last edited:
No they aren't. For live use, the Katana has no line out, not even an unemulated one. It has a phones out that defeats the speaker. It also has no proper footswitch input, only the limited one.

You could get by with the two sounds in a pinch, but the 100 gets rid of all the crippleware

The Katana 100, Artist 100, 50 EX and mk3 50 combos all have an emulated line out. You have to go into the tone studio to choose cab speculations though. They all take the GA-FC footswitch as well.

The older MK2 and Mk1 50 watt combo amps do not have a line out/stereo expand. They do take the the 5 button airstep switch, just not the GA-FC.

None of this was my point though. I merely said they SOUND basically identical because they do. I never said they were the same other than wattage.

I suppose if this kid ever needs stereo expand, access to more than 4 effects on the fly to sound like Green Day, and is playing a venue without the ability to mic an amp, he'll be in a very bad way.

Or he could pay $75 on marketplace for a mk1 50 combo until he can afford a better amp and just bypass the whole Katana thing for once he saves some coins. If he really likes that tone, $400 will get him a used JCM 2000 combo. Crank the gain on the clean channel, and he'll really sound like Green Day, especially in a live mix.

Last edited:
I didn't say anything about the sound.
I made a post stating that the two amps basically sound the same.

You responded with a post starting with "no they aren't" regarding the specs of the amp. I would assume you were responding to the wrong post or you didn't understand my post.

I then responded With the correct specs for said amps While reiterating that I was only talking about the sound, not the specs.

Then you posted this^

🫤

For combos, the 50 and 100 sound basically identical. There's not much difference other than volume and smidge of low end. The Katana 50 will hit 115 decibles the 100 will hit 118 decibles. The Artist 100 is definitely a step up in sound quality from either. All of these amps sound better than the catalyst for dirty tones. Catalyst does sound pretty great clean though.

A two button switch is like 15 bucks used on Ebay. If he's looking to sound like Green day, that's all he'll need. I agree with the big foot controller being pretty expensive considering how cheap these amps are.
I’d get a Marshall SV20 and a Fortin Grind and dime the bass & treble, scoop the mids & bring in the upper-mid snarl with the Grind, starting at 11o’clock on the adjuster.

“I’m all busted up broken bones
and nasty cuts,
Accidents will happen, but this time I can’t get up”

That’s a very interesting song.. the taproot of it.
Love the ‘not what you thought’ behind that one!

All of these amps sound better than the catalyst for dirty tones. Catalyst does sound pretty great clean though.
My Crunch and Dirty tones on my Catalyst 200 sound pretty damn good. Even better now that they released 6 more amps for it...

Katana sounds good too, but tone is subjective and I liked the Line 6 better. I dialed in a better crunch out of the box with the Cat vs Kat, but the deep editing is where both shine.

Hey
Out of curisosityI keep reading that the dookie mod turns a plexi it into a jmc 800. Why didn't he just use a jmc 800? what head sound sound most like the plexi ? an sv20 or origin 50?
Thanks
Toby

Hey
Out of curisosityI keep reading that the dookie mod turns a plexi it into a jmc 800. Why didn't he just use a jmc 800? what head sound sound most like the plexi ? an sv20 or origin 50?
Thanks
Toby

jcm800 has more stock gain than plexi, but plexi has more "meat", so if you gained up the plexi it's a different sound. try the nux plexi crunch pedal for real, it's voiced like a plexi but the gain knob literally has as much gain as a JVM, complete liquid, 100% analog. while you're at it, run a nux recto pedal in parallel, the recto is the other half of billboard tone

If you just need something to play through, a Blackstar Fly 3 or a Boss Katana Mini would be just fine. The Boss is a bit bigger and has a couple more tone controls, but the Blackstar works fine too. Both are little practice amps so won't work outside the house. Both should have plenty of gain and I think both have a nice little delay feature that can be interesting to play with.

jcm800 has more stock gain than plexi, but plexi has more "meat", so if you gained up the plexi it's a different sound. try the nux plexi crunch pedal for real, it's voiced like a plexi but the gain knob literally has as much gain as a JVM, complete liquid, 100% analog. while you're at it, run a nux recto pedal in parallel, the recto is the other half of billboard tone

I was curious about that NUX Plexi pedal. I have the NUX Klon Clone and it sounds pretty good to my ears. Is the NUX Plexi pretty good?

Right now to get a Plexi tone, I have my Stomp XL running into the Return on my SC20H and DSL100H it sounds pretty good. I wish both High & Low could be used at that same time with a A/B box. I have not tried it but I read somewhere that when you use one input, it turns off the other one. It would be so cool IMO if I could switch between JCM800 and Plexi tones using an A/B box on the same amp.

Hey
If i did this

Then pluged it into the squire sp 10 on clean and all on 5/10 would it be louder than pluging it into a cab ?
Thanks

Back