Best guitar practice amp these days?

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Seems like practice amps are radically better than they ever used to be (as a guy who used to gut it out through a Gorilla...) and it got me wondering what everyone's choice of fave practice/bedroom amp is these days? Katana, Catalyst, Spark, DSL1, something else? For parameters, let's just say something that can be had for under $750 and sounds great at bedroom volumes. And, go!

I really like the Positive Grid Spark. It’s small and sounds pretty good at low volumes and gets loud enough for cranked background music. While the app isn‘t perfect it is useful for playing along with backing tracks, youtube, etc…

I could use my FM9 but sometimes I want to plug in, twist a few knobs & play. For that I prefer it. If I need to practice a band set I’ll use the FM9 so it’s consistent with playing with the band.

At lower volumes, stereo/ wet dry or any other configs really help with an added dimension.

Instead of focusing on tubes, I’d focus on the soundscape instead.

Studio monitors for me too.

I really like the Yamaha THRs. Still on my list (couldn't justify buying one, but that might change). The W models allow for battery operation, which I think can really come in handy. Sound is pretty decent IMO, too.

This is my practice setup :satan

0E3C4DAD-2064-42BB-8842-4BF2655BBBFD.jpeg

That said to stick to what OP is asking if I wanted something small and low wattage and available for under 750 for home I’d personally grab one of the evh lunchboxes cuz I’m pretty obsessed with the 5153 stuff these days

I reversed the paradigma…my practice amp is the 2x50 what poweramp I own for the moment Stevie wonder calls me for an arena gig.
Since that never happens…that’s the amp that’s never in the car or the hallway.

My light amps…Blackstar stJames, Fender superchamp never get used for practice…cause they are great gigging amps ;)

Seems like practice amps are radically better than they ever used to be (as a guy who used to gut it out through a Gorilla...) and it got me wondering what everyone's choice of fave practice/bedroom amp is these days? Katana, Catalyst, Spark, DSL1, something else? For parameters, let's just say something that can be had for under $750 and sounds great at bedroom volumes. And, go!
Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

I reversed the paradigma…my practice amp is the 2x50 what poweramp I own for the moment Stevie wonder calls me for an arena gig.
Since that never happens…that’s the amp that’s never in the car or the hallway.

My light amps…Blackstar stJames, Fender superchamp never get used for practice…cause they are great gigging amps ;)
Some people at TGP talk about the turned down cleans of Fender Twins and other bigger amps being better than small amps.

How do you feel about the bedroom level cleans of your 2x50 W amp vs the Superchamp?
Just for chord melody and arpeggio practice..

Some people at TGP talk about the turned down cleans of Fender Twins and other bigger amps being better than small amps.

How do you feel about the bedroom level cleans of your 2x50 W amp vs the Superchamp?
Just for chord melody and arpeggio practice..
In my mind the only benefit of small amps is their size and weight…..when you don’t go for poweramp clipping that is….And poweramp clipping doesn’t happen at bedroom levels…not even with a 1 watt.

I rely on preamps …so power is only an issue when I don’t have enough ;)

So for home use…when it’s stays at home and you don’t have to carry it….the bigger the better as long as it has a master volume (or an efx loop so you can insert a MV)..so you can get the preamp working.

In my mind the only benefit of small amps is their size and weight…..when you don’t go for poweramp clipping that is….And poweramp clipping doesn’t happen at bedroom levels…not even with a 1 watt.

I rely on preamps …so power is only an issue when I don’t have enough ;)

So for home use…when it’s stays at home and you don’t have to carry it….the bigger the better as long as it has a master volume (or an efx loop so you can insert a MV)..so you can get the preamp working.
And bigger amps usually have bigger cabinets and 2 speaker configurations, adding to the overall sound.

And bigger amps usually have bigger cabinets and 2 speaker configurations, adding to the overall sound.
For sure!
Over a beer I could make an argument for this order of impact for cleans:

- room
- cabinet
- speaker
- the rest

I almost lost my f’ing mind last night and started looking at the Astro combo for a “little” “practice” amp. Then I remembered I’m on a “gear is pointless” kick. :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, the IRX is a badass no footprint solution. I wish I had that when I was 16 and not that Peavey Rage combo. :ROFLMAO: Run it to some studio monitors, "FRFR" or a small SS poweramp into a cab. That might be the best bedroom practice rig I can think of.

The DSL40CR combo is badass but it’s not really a volume control solution. It’s a beast.

Fwiw, IMO quite obviously studio monitors (fed with quality modeling) are the perfect practice companion - but for some reason I thought transport convenience was asked for, too (which it wasn't).

What's the difference between a practice amp and a ... erm... non-practice amp???

I used to use my Helix into studio monitors but these days just use my jvm. The master volume is great on that amp. I can easily use the jvm while my 5 year old is in bed sleeping. It's probably the best master volume I've had on an amp. The 2x12 helps it sound full while still being 'reasonably' quiet.

I definitely prefer 12 inch speakers over studio monitors.

Back