I'm thinking about a Marshall Origin

DrewJD82

Staff member
I really want a nice pedal platform amp for Strat tones and I've been watching Origin vids for the last hour and I'm thinking this might be a good amp for this. I love the JTM45 sound and it seems like this can get in that territory. I'll most likely grab one of the heads, just considering the 20 or 50 right now. I've heard the 50 is stupid loud and I need to watch it with volumes in my apartment (hahaha got two complaints this week), so the 20 might be better suited for me.

I'm watching Leon's demo of the 20 combo right now, anyone else have experience with these?

You get a lot of amp for the coin with those. I'd go 20.
It's a STOUT 20 watts---due to the 2 x EL34 power section.

I can't imagine you needing more---apartment or no apartment.

The Origin series are fantastic. They get a bad rep from people who don’t understand just what type of tones they produce. I will have one at some point, but will go with the 20 as I have no need for anything bigger. Also, need to re bias when rolling tubes!!! If you are into those types of tones, you can’t beat it at that price point.

They seem to have power attenuation, too! Now I'm gassing. Would it be better than a Revv D20/G20? :nails

Origin 20 doesn't have the built in load box, USB, MIDI, or IRs... or channel switching....
but it does have that 2 x EL34 power section. That's a massive win for the Origin,
in my opinion.

Origin 20 doesn't have the built in load box, USB, MIDI, or IRs... or channel switching....
but it does have that 2 x EL34 power section. That's a massive win for the Origin,
in my opinion.
If I’m not mistaken, both the Origin 20 and 50 are single channel amps. I dig ‘em!!!
:beer

No, but for the prices those are going for I’d most likely get a Ceriatone JTM45 or some other vintage Marshall variant. The Origin‘s price point is “Hmmm, they have one a GC that I might just go buy when they open up today.” :rofl
Got it. That makes sense. I have read it’s a good pedal platform. Haven’t had a chance to play one myself. Go for it!

No, but for the prices those are going for I’d most likely get a Ceriatone JTM45 or some other vintage Marshall variant. The Origin‘s price point is “Hmmm, they have one a GC that I might just go buy when they open up today.” :rofl

I think the Origin 20 is way better than the DSL20HR. I have owned both. For Marshall type cleans and gains when you factor in cost the Origin 20 is hard to beat honestly. For me I'd go with the 50 but that's because I do not have volume limits and I like the headroom better than the 20 when getting into band volumes and they do sound and feel a bit different from each other. A drummer friend of mine, that I used to jam with before he moved had the 50 with the matching 2x12 cab and I used to play through it once in awhile when I'd go jam with him. I'm in a bit of a love affair right now with Mesa Mark IV and Rectifier tones and I also have a DSL40c that I am going to re-house in one of those Stagecraft head shells, but I do love the Origin amps.

I have looked at these a time or 5 myself. Ironically; I have always passed on them because "not enough gain" whereas now with the current pedal sinkhole I am in; it would be a perfect fit for me too. I think for the money, you probably aren't going to get much better for what you are trying to do.

I have looked at these a time or 5 myself. Ironically; I have always passed on them because "not enough gain" whereas now with the current pedal sinkhole I am in; it would be a perfect fit for me too. I think for the money, you probably aren't going to get much better for what you are trying to do.
Yep = that was my conclusion. I was comparing Origin to SC20. Since I don’t use pedalboards, I concluded that an SC20 would be a better fit since you can’t really rely on the Origin to get a variety of gain levels. (But then once I started looking at the SC20, I ended up looking at the Friedman Runt 20, and went that route. But that’s not the point here, LOL).

I would err on the side of the 50. If the MV control is finite enough at lower levels where you could use it at home when you want.

This is going to be a be deciding factor. Thankfully, GC has both heads in stock right now. I've read a lot of comments about the 20 being pretty damn loud. I don't really need this to keep up with a band and I think even if I did, I'm curious if running the DI into the powerstage or BAM then into a cab would work. (Edit- I see it has a cab sim on it already.....damn....would much prefer it were just the pre-amp out.)

What I mainly want is something that gets in the JTM45 zone at a lower volume that'll be my pedal-based rig, I'm more looking for a single-channel kind of thing because I've got enough dirt pedals now to choke many horses.

Last edited:
This is going to be a be deciding factor. Thankfully, GC has both heads in stock right now. I've read a lot of comments about the 20 being pretty damn loud. I don't really need this to keep up with a band and I think even if I did, I'm curious if running the DI into the powerstage or BAM then into a cab would work.

What I mainly want is something that gets in the JTM45 zone at a lower volume that'll be my pedal-based rig. This really seems to be hitting all the buttons.
I LOVE the form factor too. Perfect size amp head. And I just realized it's 2 EL34s, not 2 el84 turds. Go for it.

Back