I'm thinking about a Marshall Origin

not 2 el84 turds

I kept giving EL84 amps a chance (4 of them) and they disappointed me every single time. Even the Mesa DC-3 head I had recently. If I were going to play clean only with no gain channel or pedals I'd have kept it but I traded it for a DSL40c and a BE-OD pedal and not regretting it one little bit.

Done with EL-84 based amps for life now. If I need or want a smaller wattage amp it's 6v6 or GTFO. Every 6v6 amp I have ever had was much better than any EL-84 amp I've had or used.

I kept giving EL84 amps a chance (4 of them) and they disappointed me every single time. Even the Mesa DC-3 head I had recently. If I were going to play clean only with no gain channel or pedals I'd have kept it but I traded it for a DSL40c and a BE-OD pedal and not regretting it one little bit.

Done with EL-84 based amps for life now. If I need or want a smaller wattage amp it's 6v6 or GTFO. Every 6v6 amp I have ever had was much better than any EL-84 amp I've had or used.
The IRT15 I had was great sounding. So I will always give it a pass. But the prices they seem to be at vs. how much I don't really care one way or another to get another one...eh? It's tough once you make these "observations" to shake them. Whether the observations ring true across EVERY SINGLE amp using those same tubes or not.

It's a fun amp, for sure. It's NOT a high gain amp. It's barely a mid-gain amp. It's what it's advertised as, but most people ignored; a modern take on the jumped Plexi. I like them. They sound killer with a Klon or BBPreamp up front. I prefer it for sure over the DSL series.

Yeah, I'm definitely not looking for high gain from this. Clean/Edge of breakup all the way while using pedals for all the dirt.

I'm being slightly responsible and eating lunch before I leave my apartment to go buy it. I've already talked myself in and out of it several times. Really, I'm selling my PRS SE to my buddy, so I won't really be out any money....I just don't technically "need it".

Yeah, I'm definitely not looking for high gain from this. Clean/Edge of breakup all the way while using pedals for all the dirt.

I'm being slightly responsible and eating lunch before I leave my apartment to go buy it. I've already talked myself in and out of it several times. Really, I'm selling my PRS SE to my buddy, so I won't really be out any money....I just don't technically "need it".
probably should go buy it

I liked the 50 a lot more than the 20 when I tried them.

Was it the extra headroom in the 50 you preferred?

I really need to watch the volume levels in my apartment and might even get an attenuator for it.

It’s been an hour. Have you bought it yet?
Lets Go Waiting GIF by Amazon Prime Video

It’s been an hour. Have you bought it yet?

My intention was to take a quick nap (I’m off today and stayed up really late) but slept for almost 4 hours instead of the 1.5 I thought I was going to and forgot to set an alarm. Having some coffee and then deciding if I’m going to hike it up to GC right as rush hour is kicking in. :rofl

I think they are pretty cool amps for vintage tones and you can always pummel it with some pedals for higher gain territory.

I paired a Strymon Riverside over a clean tone on the Origin combo at my local shop and it took it really well. (Riverside is a terribly underrated distortion pedal)

Also Headfirst has some mods that make it filthy.

Yep = that was my conclusion. I was comparing Origin to SC20. Since I don’t use pedalboards, I concluded that an SC20 would be a better fit since you can’t really rely on the Origin to get a variety of gain levels. (But then once I started looking at the SC20, I ended up looking at the Friedman Runt 20, and went that route. But that’s not the point here, LOL).

Less Money < To More Money < To Most Money. :LOL:

Was it the extra headroom in the 50 you preferred?

I really need to watch the volume levels in my apartment and might even get an attenuator for it.

I trust Leon.... but I don't in what world a 2 x EL34 power section is not enough headroom these days. :idk

Fuck! 9 times out of 10 you can't squeeze all the juice out of 15 watts and 2 x 6V6 or 2 x EL84 before
someone is screaming about it being "too loud!"

I am guessing they have a smaller OT and PT in the Origin 20 to save some costs and bring the
wattage down.... but 2 x EL34 is what is driving a 2204 or DSL50. And neither of those lack for
"headroom."

My intention was to take a quick nap (I’m off today and stayed up really late) but slept for almost 4 hours instead of the 1.5 I thought I was going to and forgot to set an alarm. Having some coffee and then deciding if I’m going to hike it up to GC right as rush hour is kicking in. :rofl

If you’re still kicking the tires, check out the PRS HDRX 20 while you’re kicking them…. For similar money and functionality, that amp has my attention.

D

If you’re still kicking the tires, check out the PRS HDRX 20 while you’re kicking them…. For similar money and functionality, that amp has my attention.

D

Good shout! 2 x 5881s in that one.

I do wonder about availability right now.

Back