IK Multimedia TONEX

I have high hopes that you enjoy them! And though it apparently wasn't the intent, I also had high hopes about the name "High-Gain Heroes" being a reference to Hogan's Heroes.
16E5D120-A3C1-49CF-86A5-78940A0C2F87.gif

The routing does scare me about the ToneX. I have one on order, but I want to just be able to plug my amp through my Torpedo Captor X, turn off the IRs, and capture the amp with the ToneX. I would think this would be super simple, but your diagrams have me nervous. This is really complex.
If you find this complex, how about doing this ? :grin

I realized that the 35 mins necessary for the "Model training" part of a capture with ToneX (with accuracy level = advanced) gave me enough time to capture the same amp settings with the Kemper and the Quad Cortex. For each capture, I only had to move 3 cables.
Did that for 7 captures on each platform before my brain said "stop!" :rofl
I compare the three captures at the end of the video. Watch on youtube for the timestamps !

Last edited:
Ooooh they added the ability to lock cabinets now. Sort of odd you can't lock other blocks but its a nice addition none the less.

Great if you have a cab IR you like and want to audition various direct amp models without everything resetting every time.

This sounds exactly as it looks! Awesome capture!!! (I own a 2203 from 78 by the way)
I'm sure the 2203 is beefy.

I wasn't sure how the refurb would effect the 79 2204 but I am shocked. It was great before but as I compare the new captures the the prior capture there is a big difference.

A new capture will be shared soon. Check the new Reddit page:

The other guitarist in my current project has been using my HXFX/Tonex pedalboard while I’ve been using Helix Floor, and I have to say I do miss having that hardware around for late night sofa jam sessions. I used the Tonex plugin to bounce some stuff out yesterday and had a positive experience.

I love so much about Helix, and I get all the hate profilers get about having to sift through mountains of pass/fail captures, but man…some of the captures I’ve played give me things I can’t seem to get out of Helix. Most notably there is this solidity on the top end that feels really close to how my real amps feel when I can be bothered to run them with a reactive load - there’s just more life up there and it really makes a difference sometimes.

Absolutely excited to see where this technology goes in the future.

I had a friend of mine over tonight who has the tonex pedal and amplitube max. Spent a few hrs checking them out and honestly found it a lot better than when I tried it initially. It helped that John was here and knows how to use it or I'd have given up really quickly. The software experience on Tonex is still terrible and completely unintuitive though some of the captures he's saved to his device were pretty good.

I have to say overall I definitely preferred amplitube to tonex. Scrolling through endless captures in tonex gets boring really quickly, whereas I was able to get a sound I really liked in no time on amplitube. The Mesa pack 2 is fantastic I absolutely loved it.

I genuinely think I just prefer modelling to captures. Thanks to you lot I'm seriously considering a fractal device soon once gas funds will allow. I think I was brainwashed somehow in @Stone's fractal quest :facepalm:ROFLMAO:

I had a friend of mine over tonight who has the tonex pedal and amplitube max. Spent a few hrs checking them out and honestly found it a lot better than when I tried it initially. It helped that John was here and knows how to use it or I'd have given up really quickly. The software experience on Tonex is still terrible and completely unintuitive though some of the captures he's saved to his device were pretty good.

I have to say overall I definitely preferred amplitube to tonex. Scrolling through endless captures in tonex gets boring really quickly, whereas I was able to get a sound I really liked in no time on amplitube. The Mesa pack 2 is fantastic I absolutely loved it.

I genuinely think I just prefer modelling to captures. Thanks to you lot I'm seriously considering a fractal device soon once gas funds will allow. I think I was brainwashed somehow in @Stone's fractal quest :facepalm:ROFLMAO:

and I'm absolutely thrilled with my FM9 its simply that good :beer

Did a kids show at a school yesterday with a tone purist. We chatted guitar amps, bla bla bla. Plugged into my FM9 and “wow, that really DOES sound good”.

If they added a delay block and expanded their reverb selection, I would pay twice as much for a Tonex. Please make it happen!

If they added a delay block and expanded their reverb selection, I would pay twice as much for a Tonex. Please make it happen!
Why not just use Amplitube 5 with ToneX captures loaded into it?? Works really well actually.

Back