IK Multimedia TONEX

@IK Multimedia could you please, like super major pretty please make it so it can save your interface routing settings? Maybe as presets, but at least when you reopen Tonex that you would still have some routing from last time, not this

routing.png

On mine only if you don't close it. During 5-6 rips in a row, it brings up the same audio setup. If I shut down and open another time it does not. It would be nice to make presets based on your setup.
Did you change anything when you shutdown? Like connect or disconnect another interface/USB audio? That can force changes in default audio settings, which would be picked up by ToneX .

Did you change anything when you shutdown? Like connect or disconnect another interface/USB audio? That can force changes in default audio settings, which would be picked up by ToneX .
Was not referring to the audio/midi setup tab, but the audio setup on the 3rd or fourth Capture page. The basic audio setup for TONEX remains the same. I would like the Capture audio setup page to save or have presets for different setups, Line In vs real Mics, for example.

Fellows, what would you say is the most common audio interface on the market?
Maybe the Focusrite Scarlett series?

Fellows, what would you say is the most common audio interface on the market?
Maybe the Focusrite Scarlett series?

That's definitely the most well known, but something tells me the cheap stuff (like Behringer) outsells it by a large margin.

For all the shenanigans that company pulls, their interfaces are surprisingly solid. I bought a UMC202HD for less than $100, and that thing is an incredible value.

Quick question, do you have headroom issues when using the Instrument input with humbuckers?
I'm looking at the spec sheet and it says it has 10db less headroom with gain at minimum than the Focusrite Scarlett series.

PS.
There is a reason I'm asking in the Tonex thread, I want figure out the gain issue people having with captures.
I don't have ToneX.

Last edited:
Quick question, do you have headroom issues when using the Instrument input with humbuckers?

No, never had any. I just set my input gain on the verge of clipping (i.e. just before going red), and i get a very clean instrument signal every time.

It is also dead quiet, which many reviews pointed out. I don't know why Behringer doesn't advertise this, but Julian Krause, who shoots out audio equipment in YouTube (and really knows his stuff) measured the noise floor of the UMC202HD at -129 dB, which is just... ridiculous.

His review is also what pushed me over to buy the device.

Oh, and it's 100% USB Class Compliant, so it requires no drivers.

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah I've seen Julian's video before.

I was wondering about the Instrument input in particular because the specifications states -3 dBu which he doesn't measure in his video, any Les Paul will go way above that with light strumming and an EMG 81 will clip the shit out of it if you merely breathe on the strings.
Most audio interfaces are in the +12 dBu range for the Instrument Input.

I guess Behringers spec is way off?

b.png

I was wondering about the Instrument input in particular because the specifications states -3 dBu which he doesn't measure in his video

Good catch. That looks off to me - i don't have any instruments with active pickups to try at home though :(

Given that the unit can deal with signals up to +20dBu with no issues, i don't think a measly guitar pickup should be a problem for it.

Last edited:
I’d imagine most “normal” guitarists are using either Focusrite 2i2, Audient, SSL or UAD. No idea what kind of proportions vs the rest but they’re the most common ones I encounter from people I record

Was not referring to the audio/midi setup tab, but the audio setup on the 3rd or fourth Capture page. The basic audio setup for TONEX remains the same. I would like the Capture audio setup page to save or have presets for different setups, Line In vs real Mics, for example.
Understood.

What I'm stating is the state of your interface connection, disconnect and reconnect the USB port, or lose power to your interface on your default Mac or PC audio settings, it's likely your OS (auto detects a change) and is resetting that configuration and passing the information along to ToneX or any other DAW/Audio software on your computer.

Do you have any power profile that would reduce or eliminate power to the USB bus on your computer? That will be a state change that the OS (operating system) will pass along to applications like ToneX for them to make the corresponding change from current audio settings focus to default.

For all the shenanigans that company pulls, their interfaces are surprisingly solid. I bought a UMC202HD for less than $100, and that thing is an incredible value.
They use the same drivers as audient, SSL, and even Neve ( I think) pretty much all the USB aside from RME do.

I’d imagine most “normal” guitarists are using either Focusrite 2i2, Audient, SSL or UAD.
No idea what kind of proportions vs the rest but they’re the most common ones I encounter from people I record
Thank you.

The numbers are 12.5dBu, 12dBu, 15dBu, 12.2dBu respectively.
I see a pattern here and that's what I was looking for.

In my opinion random gain tweaking after the capturing process is done is complete nonsense, we have solid numbers to create accurate captures with any audio interface even if we go for 12dBu as a common reference.

Its not just gain, its bass and treble as well. I've done captures at multiple reference levels and we keep ending up with the same issues. What is the 12.5dBu? Is that the level to do the captures at, or the amount to boost the input after the capture? Looks like the tonex pedal is at a different expected input level than the software

Back