IK Multimedia TONEX

its not my interface, I'm capturing in the box, oven at 0dBFS we have the same problems, and there's nothing random about it, I'm seeing the same issues at any level and it seems to be the same issues as others are having when they are doing it out of the box

Understood.

What I'm stating is the state of your interface connection, disconnect and reconnect the USB port, or lose power to your interface on your default Mac or PC audio settings, it's likely your OS (auto detects a change) and is resetting that configuration and passing the information along to ToneX or any other DAW/Audio software on your computer.

Do you have any power profile that would reduce or eliminate power to the USB bus on your computer? That will be a state change that the OS (operating system) will pass along to applications like ToneX for them to make the corresponding change from current audio settings focus to default.
Well I'll be damned, i turned every back on for another capture session and the signal setup on the Capture tab was still correct. I stand corrected, it was saved.

I posted this in another thread, but it got buried in the noise:

Honest question…

Have any of you attempted to import a collection of impulse responses all at once?

On my Mac, I had to add each one, individually, one at a time, while having to navigate through multiple folders to get to my network storage, because the software doesn’t remember the last folder I pulled from.

No drag and drop or selection of multiple impulse responses? For fucks sake @IK Multimedia 😂

Honest question…

Have any of you attempted to import a collection of impulse responses all at once?

On my Mac, I had to add each one, individually, one at a time, while having to navigate through multiple folders to get to my network storage, because the software doesn’t remember the last folder I pulled from.

No drag and drop or selection of multiple impulse responses? For f***s sake @IK Multimedia 😂
laughs in Boss

Honest question…

No drag and drop or selection of multiple impulse responses? For f***s sake @IK Multimedia 😂

The not remembering the last folder is highly annoying and extremely inefficient.

Honest question…

IK Multimedia application management is incredibly bad. I own Studio Max 3.5. I want to move all products to a new SSD RAID that I setup in my computer. The installation/uninstallation routines are a joke, even when using their "Product Manager". Many of their products are really good stuff. But management of their products is a nightmare. I have the SSD RAID labeled as X: drive. The Product Management software settings were changed to point to X:\IK. It still wants to install to D:\IK Multimedia. It seems like no one in that company uses their own software to manage thier products. If they did I can't imagine that they would tolerate the "user experience" that is currently in play.

IK Multimedia application management is incredibly bad. I own Studio Max 3.5. I want to move all products to a new SSD RAID that I setup in my computer. The installation/uninstallation routines are a joke, even when using their "Product Manager". Many of their products are really good stuff. But management of their products is a nightmare. I have the SSD RAID labeled as X: drive. The Product Management software settings were changed to point to X:\IK. It still wants to install to D:\IK Multimedia. It seems like no one in that company uses their own software to manage thier products. If they did I can't imagine that they would tolerate the "user experience" that is currently in play.
There are two directory settings that might be confusing. This has been brought up as an area to improve in IK Product Manager. The download location in the settings is only for the downloaded installers. They download to and run from there initially. The location of things like sound libraries would use the "Install to..." for each of those libraries. Again, it has been brought up since I think setting a global "Install to" at least for large sound libraries would be useful for many.

One note about the sound libraries for SampleTank/Syntronik/etc, though, is that you can just move those if they are already installed and point the main application to the new location. I have been using an external drive on multiple machines this way for a while and it is very handy. But it is also just generally handy in any situation where you don't want reinstall a bunch of sound libraries just to have them in a different location. And sorry I meant move or copy, I think the latter is safest because then you can decide to remove the previous location's sound library files once the new one is verified working.

There are two directory settings that might be confusing. This has been brought up as an area to improve in IK Product Manager. The download location in the settings is only for the downloaded installers. They download to and run from there initially. The location of things like sound libraries would use the "Install to..." for each of those libraries. Again, it has been brought up since I think setting a global "Install to" at least for large sound libraries would be useful for many.

One note about the sound libraries for SampleTank/Syntronik/etc, though, is that you can just move those if they are already installed and point the main application to the new location. I have been using an external drive on multiple machines this way for a while and it is very handy. But it is also just generally handy in any situation where you don't want reinstall a bunch of sound libraries just to have them in a different location. And sorry I meant move or copy, I think the latter is safest because then you can decide to remove the previous location's sound library files once the new one is verified working.
Thank you for your response. I appreciate that you are here on the forum and helping out with these sorts of things.

I'm not in front of my DAW right now so I'm speaking from memory. My recollection is that the "Install to . . . " setting is under the "more" ellipse for each application. There is also an option to select the installation location during the installation routine for each product, so my earlier message was not accurate, I guess. I was able to install all of the applications on my X: drive. But I had to remove all of the applications first using "Add or Remove Programs". Each application had to be removed individually and then reinstalled individually. This is a very time consuming process. Maybe there is an easier way to do this. If so, I couldn't figure it out.

When I run into issues with managing software installation/configuration/uninstallation I wonder if the company in question really wants me to own more than one of their products. Managing a fussy installation process for one application is not a terribly huge deal. But when there are multiple applications, with multiple sound libraries, it can take hours to manage product installation/uninstallation.

With reasonable effort relocating multiple applications and sound libraries could be accomplished with scripts and a single easy to use navigation page. The page lists installed software and has check boxes for selecting the products that you want to move, along with a simple one line field where you can type in the directory structure where you want things moved. Then click a button to initiate the move process, walk away and have your favorite beverage, checking in to see when the move is complete. Something like this would dramatically change the user experience.

With all of the hours spent designing great software, I don't understand why designing an excellent application management interface is not more important to software companies. An excellent user experience matters. It has a significant impact on word of mouth advertising. Just look at the comments on the kludgy Tonex interface. Pretty universally people really like the sound of Tonex captures. But there are more than a few cautionary gripes about the software interface. It seems to me that it's worth the time/money/effort to create ease and consistency when using a product interface. One of the reasons that people love FabFilter products is because of the user interface on their plugins. I hope that IK takes note of this and puts more emphasis on product interfaces and usability in the future.

I do want to repeat I appreciate that you have a presence on this forum. The information that you shared about manually copying the sound libraries to a new location is really helpful. I probably would have tried this to see what happened. But hearing it from an IK rep takes away the guesswork. So, thank you for sharing this info.

Best,
Scott

mr narrins GIF

I am a high gain kind of guy. This is definitely relevant to my interests. Thank you.

WTF!!! I just bought Tonex for Windows and Amplitube 5 Max and I'm about to set fuc*ing fire to my computer.

I open ToneX and go to ToneNet. I download captures that I like. Then I close ToneNet and all the captures I downloaded are not there, only the schitty-ass IK ones. Close out ToneX and re-open it., and there are the caps I downloaded. Weird, right?

I play around a bit, go back to ToneNet, download some more caps, close ToneNet, and all the friggin downloads are missing again.:cuss

Then I open Amplitube and try to load a capture from ToneX by following the directions in the corksoaking manual, and no captures show up on the list, not even the lame a$$ IK ones.

When I turn on the GD Helix, I get the sound I want in 20 seconds without any BS. I have to get away from my computer. Try again tomorrow. I haven't been this pissed off about software since the 90s!

If you have a connection to tone net ‘on’ (upper right rectangular area) you won’t see your local folder menu down below.
Toggle the connection on and off to get to what you want, also once out of tone net toggle between preset and tone models at top of menu. New stuff has a learning curve. Get through that and you can love your computer again lol

If you have a connection to tone net ‘on’ (upper right rectangular area) you won’t see your local folder menu down below.
Toggle the connection on and off to get to what you want, also once out of tone net toggle between preset and tone models at top of menu.
Yes, I did that and was still having issues.

Last night I restarted my computer. The issue in Amplitube where there were no captures showing up when "ToneX" was selected as my amp resolved itself. However, in Tonex my downloaded caps were still not showing up. Today they are there. I am thinking I may need to re-install Tonex.

@Deadpan live ready sound "Armoured Sabat v3" is crazy good.

Last edited:
Back