A mild grumble+warning about IK Multimedia & Amplitube 5 Max

I don't expect them to list everything that's not included. They have a list of included items so I don't really have a problem with it... other than calling it MAX or saying that YOU SAVE $13,802.00 by spending $270, but whatever, marketing.

But looking at it again, it includes Amplitube 5 Max ($300, on sale for $100) and Tonex Max ($300, on sale for $100) + 168 other products for $270? Seems like a great deal but at the same time it sorta cheapens their products, no? Their real worth is like... $270/170=$1.6?
Its the current plugin-world dilemma (not for all; but for many): "huh, we...kind of have a plug-in for everything. we have optimized/improved as much as we can. the faithful have already bought all of our stuff. How do we keep revenue coming in? Maybe drop prices to reach the Timbuk3s of the world?"

Waves is the OG of "everythings on sale all the time but in convoluted ways!!" Universal Audio plugins are deeply discounted a loooooot more regularly now than they used to.

And then Neural DSP is just all about "hey, we might already have a plug-in for everything...but Crest Toothpaste didn't become the brand they are by only offering everything to their customers! We still haven't combined pro-health, with pro-active, with tartar control, without sensitive, with baking soda, in gel format, mint flavor AND A SCREW ON CAP yet!!!!!"

Crest Toothpaste didn't become the brand they are by only offering everything to their customers! We still haven't combined pro-health, with pro-active, with tartar control, without sensitive, with baking soda, in gel format, mint flavor AND A SCREW ON CAP yet!!!!!"
WHY DON’T THEY SELL CREST MAX, WHO WOULDN'T WANT ALL THE HEALTH, ACTIVE, TATAR CONTROL, ETC., THAT’S WHAT I WANNA KNOW

oh that's your point

I have a lot of IK stuff - Tonex pedal, all 4 X-Gear pedals, and a bunch of software (Total Studio Max 3.5 and a few extras). But I see it for what it is. They're the fancy-look fast food joint of the effects/plugins world. Generally low prices (ok, not the X-Gears, but I got them on a blowout) , decent capabilities, clunky "undo and redo it" software, mostly a comms vacuum. Take the product or leave it. Interaction only via email in their ticketing system. If they don't want to answer a question, they just don't. They'll just go silent or tell you to open a ticket - where you'll be told you're wrong or asked to record samples of things that are in the factory settings. The real basic stuff - like info on input levels for Amplitube or bothering to even out factory amp captures (and X-Drive pedals) so you can switch between them - is left to the customer.

Last edited:
Back