A mild grumble+warning about IK Multimedia & Amplitube 5 Max

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
Okay, listen, I like IK as a company a lot, but it has to be said....

When you buy a product called 'Max' you are expecting 'Max' - you are not expecting to be missing any stuff.

So ... I just paid $70 ($$99 minus 30% because of jampoints discount) to upgrade my Amplitube 5 to 'Max' .... but I don't get the Mesa Boogie 2 pack included. I understand that when the 'Max' product launched, Mesa Boogie 2 did not exist. But I didn't buy it in a world where it didn't exist, and I was fully expecting to get it. I cannot for the life of me see anywhere where it shows a list of products that AT5 does not include.

The comparison chart here - https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/include/at5/gear_list_pdf/AmpliTube_5_comparison.pdf - doesn't even list those products, in order for me to see an unchecked box, in order for me to be fully informed. You could say it is on me to understand exactly what I'm buying... but hey, if I've downed 8 pints and I wanna spaff some money up the wall whilst vomitting in my toilet because I ate too much pizza... bro I aint got time to clearly and concisely read your lists.

My point being - when new products are released, the title 'Max' is reaaaaaaally deceptive.

To add to that.... I upgraded from AT4 to AT5 back in January for $70 as well.... and didn't get an additional discount to Max.... which just feels really anti-user to me. I already owned the software, so effectively I've just paid $70 for 24 or so pedal effects that I wasn't really that bothered about... ultimately I just wanted the Mesa Mark V that I thought would come with the Max bundle. Obviously the email receipt gives me the whole "all sales are final blahblahblahblah" schtick, so I'm not even going to pursue a refund - I'm not too bothered about the money, I just don't like expectations being needlessly dashed.

I've been a long time customer of IK Multimedia, and have bought a ton of stuff from them over the years... a long-term customer, a huge proponent of the ToneX platform, and I'm sat here with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth because of poor marketing and a poor website....

Am I being an idiot? Well, yes probably. Am I being unreasonable though? I dunno.... to me, the promotion page for AT5 Max should clearly state that the Mesa Boogie 2 pack isn't included. Super disappointing.

So people.. just be aware.... these aren't included in AT5 Max:

Mesa Boogie 2
X-DRIVE
X-VIBE
X-SPACE
X-TIME

Okay... feel free to call me an idiot now.

this is the IK game, and they are fully aware of it.

In 2023, any tech related company worth its salt is able to see what products you own, and calculate a fair upgrade price. The same goes for installing only what you own. The products are good value, and its easy enough to pick up the remaining bits on sale, or in another upgrade. We really need to move on from this BS though - just make it fair for your customers who are passionate about your company.

what would also be great is if they were able to see what products I already own, and NOT send me the latest offers on those several times a day. TBF I think this may have recently solved.

Well Shit! I didn't realize that either a few weeks ago when I jumped on the deal. Like you I figured Max meant everything

Honestly, if you hadn't said something, I still wouldn't know. I've just been playing my ToneX in the loop of my Helix floor and haven't even gone back to touch AT5 at this point.

yeah agree with that. aside the extra content when I load up A5 it always asks "to use any gear in trial mode blah blah" and this annoys me a lot.
Still haven't found a way to get rid of that message.
IK Multimedia has always been operating strangely in this regard (although so many users protest), adding whole lot of in-app purchases down the line..

IK Multimedia has always been operating strangely in this regard (although so many users protest), adding whole lot of in-app purchases down the line..

oh, you'd like to demo this new plugin? HERE HAVE SOME WHITE NOISE BLASTS EVERY 3 SECONDS (AND WE INSTALLED EVERYTHING ELSE WE MAKE AGAIN JUST INCASE)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news @Orvillain but the Mark V emulation is really fun. You can probably hold out until the next sale though

Mesa Boogie 2
X-DRIVE
X-VIBE
X-SPACE
X-TIME
Bought the “Max” too.

I shelled out for the Mesa Boogie 2 when it was on sale for $29.99. Definitely wasn’t clear on the Mesa Boogie or the X-series stuff beforehand.

But even worse than that is the multiple non stop promotional emails every fucking day. I finally just directed them straight to junk mail.

MAX is set up similar to other packages that are Complete(ly spelled wrong) in that they are not a subscription that adds anything new (just like C-not-C-complete and others) and include what is available at the time of release. We could go subscription and give new gear when released but it seems that's not a popular option at least not around here. There are lists of what is in each version of AmpliTube 5 on the site available to peruse pre-purchase, I hope that helps some in the future.

MAX is set up similar to other packages that are Complete(ly spelled wrong) in that they are not a subscription that adds anything new (just like C-not-C-complete and others) and include what is available at the time of release. We could go subscription and give new gear when released but it seems that's not a popular option at least not around here. There are lists of what is in each version of AmpliTube 5 on the site available to peruse pre-purchase, I hope that helps some in the future.
Or you could just try calling it something else. "Amplitube 5 Premium Pack" or whatever. The Tonex package names don't make any more sense, like why is the free version called "Tonex CS" instead of just "Tonex Free Edition" or something? Why is one of the packages Tonex SE and the other that is better just "Tonex"?

Apple is another company that abuses their superlatives. Which is higher, Max or Ultra?

Or you could just try calling it something else. "Amplitube 5 Premium Pack" or whatever. The Tonex package names don't make any more sense, like why is the free version called "Tonex CS" instead of just "Tonex Free Edition" or something? Why is one of the packages Tonex SE and the other that is better just "Tonex"?

Apple is another company that abuses their superlatives. Which is higher, Max or Ultra?
Turbo?

Helix Native is neither a subscription, nor described as "MAX" and allows free updates all the time so that regardless of when you dropped your cash on it, you always have the latest complete package. People around here love that.

Bought studio max package and I think I’m not at full versions of modo bass or drums, one or the other I think something is missing. At any rate for 199 bucks I’m still thrilled with this purchase. Just used philharmonik on a track and it sounds great.

We could do a lot of things. I see you have a lot of ideas, please keep an eye on https://www.ikmultimedia.com/jobs if interested. Thanks!
Helix Native is neither a subscription, nor described as "MAX" and allows free updates all the time so that regardless of when you dropped your cash on it, you always have the latest complete package. People around here love that.
Bully for them, I'm glad it works for them. But I didn't mention them, nor are we them. Just like "Complete with a different starting letter" works quite well, we feel listing specifically what you get and the available information also spells out what is included. I will relay that it wasn't clear for you though, thank you for your input.

We could do a lot of things. I see you have a lot of ideas, please keep an eye on https://www.ikmultimedia.com/jobs if interested. Thanks!

Bully for them, I'm glad it works for them. But I didn't mention them, nor are we them. Just like "Complete with a different starting letter" works quite well, we feel listing specifically what you get and the available information also spells out what is included. I will relay that it wasn't clear for you though, thank you for your input.
You REALLY know how to make a guy not wanna buy your product

I don’t think free updates forever and ever is a very viable option in 2023. Very few offer this.

While we’re at it the all sales are final(purchased directly)with the Tonex Pedal might be beneficial—for the customer—if it was a little easier to locate upfront than prominently on the sales receipt.

:beer

Last edited:
Back