IK Multimedia TONEX

37oylx.jpg
:rofl
We need a few guys to tone capture Fargen amps in the ToneX and compete against each other for who is the best:

IT'S FARGEN WAR ! ! !

Latest version of Tonex and latest firmware on the Pedal.

I’m using a Komplete Audio 6 as an interface in Tonex. Setup like this:

FTKGPKW.png

I have to run the Main Output L (blue above) from the KA6 to the AXE Input1 so I can reduce the level going into the AXE. It was clipping Input 1 on the AXE. Also I only set the Tonex levels so they just light up the first two orange dots in the Tonex meters. I'm adjusting the other levels in the AXE so they are just below clipping and adjusting the levels on the KA6 inputs to about 2:00 on the KA6 level knobs. This give me the most balanced levels across the board.

I'm using the AXE so I can load a Drive Block from the AXE going into the front of the Amp and using a Suhr Reactive Load from the Amp back into the AXE to load an IR Block to go from the AXE to Tonex.

I'm monitoring on headphones from the KA6 using Outputs 3/4 on the KA6 since I'm using main Out1 on the KA6 to go into the AXE.

1C9Lm5c.jpg

Yes... I know, honestly this is a mild one.
The routing does scare me about the ToneX. I have one on order, but I want to just be able to plug my amp through my Torpedo Captor X, turn off the IRs, and capture the amp with the ToneX. I would think this would be super simple, but your diagrams have me nervous. This is really complex.

The routing does scare me about the ToneX. I have one on order, but I want to just be able to plug my amp through my Torpedo Captor X, turn off the IRs, and capture the amp with the ToneX. I would think this would be super simple, but your diagrams have me nervous. This is really complex.
As long as you have an amp hooked to a load nothing else should be damaged imo

My diagram is color coded to match the Tonex inputs and outputs. :ROFLMAO:

The Tonex Capture software is very cool but it requires a computer and an Audio Interface. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

If you already have the computer and an Audio Interface, you could get by with a Reactive Load box and an Impluse Response pedal if your Reactive Load doesn’t or can’t load IRs. These are really cool!

Last experiment was this chain:
Guitar to In 2 of my Axe I/O; Axe I/O amp out to input of my amp, out of HX Stomp (running power amp sim and IR) into input 1 of the Axe I/O. Axe I/O outs to my studio monitor. I got one good capture out of about 10 this way? Lots of messing with levels in about 15 different spots it seemed.

First 2 captures were amp only. I tapped a line out of my Behringer DI into Axe I/O input 1 for the capture. It was obviously WAYYYYYY TOO LOUD :satan

Last experiment was this chain:
Guitar to In 2 of my Axe I/O; Axe I/O amp out to input of my amp, out of HX Stomp (running power amp sim and IR) into input 1 of the Axe I/O. Axe I/O outs to my studio monitor. I got one good capture out of about 10 this way? Lots of messing with levels in about 15 different spots it seemed.

First 2 captures were amp only. I tapped a line out of my Behringer DI into Axe I/O input 1 for the capture. It was obviously WAYYYYYY TOO LOUD :satan

How are you coming out of your amp? Microphone on cab or some kind of line level out and if so how?

How are you coming out of your amp? Microphone on cab or some kind of line level out and if so how?
Either no cab connected and using the send of the amp to Stomp then out to interface OR tapping the line out from my Behringer DI if a cab is connected.

Either no cab connected and using the send of the amp to Stomp then out to interface OR tapping the line out from my Behringer DI if a cab is connected.

Turn all the volumes down first ;) then try this:

In Tonex use your Axe I/O and color code the inputs and outputs like below.

• Guitar into Axe I/O Input 1
  • Axe I/O Line Out 3 to HXStomp Input1
  • HXStopm Output1 to Axe I/O Input2
  • Axe I/O Headphones out
  • Axe I/O Amp out to Badlander Input
  • Badlander Send to HX Stopm Return L
Color coded for Tonex. Purple are connections not shown in Tonex.

mnhyY0F.jpg

In HX Edit (which I don't have so I'm going from memory).
You need a chain with the Stomp Input, a Return Block, an IR Block and the Stomp Output.

Something like this. I also can't remember if you have level controls on the Input, Return, IR and Output blocks but if you do, you may need to adjust them.

MmEHQm5.png

Use the level controls on the Axe I/O (physical dials and in the interface if you need to) to adjust the levels in Tonex... but also have HX Edit open and watch the levels on your Input, Return and Outputs on your Stomp. This was the key for me, watching the levels inside the AxeFX (Stomp) to make sure they weren't getting clipped.

Last edited:
One more thing before I forget. I always use the Tonex pre-recorded sounds to test the level instead of the guitar. It’s going to use that anyway when it makes the capture and it seems to hit the levels better than my playing.

So @IK Multimedia

I am having odd results capturing my amp. The levels are fine during the Capture and Training processes. When I go to compare; the levels are SUPER low and the capture has an odd sound. Out of like 6 captures I've done this morning; one has worked as it should. Have there been any reports on this behavior from others? I am using the Axe I/O as my reamp box. I am on the latest Tone-X app revision and FW on the pedal itself. I know it's the weekend but just food for thought when Monday rolls around.

Also; on the Axe I/O; the level meter is barely hitting the 3rd bar. The Tone-X app is hitting red and telling me to turn down the gain. Which value am I supposed to rely on as the ideal...what is shown on the Axe I/O level meter or what is showing in the app?
For the following, I am just going based on pics and whatnot as I have never owned the Axe I/O.

Are you hooking it up like this:
  • Guitar -> Axe I/O Input 1 set to Instrument. Make sure direct send to Amp out is not enabled if that matters.
  • Amp out -> Badlander front input
  • Badlander Cab clone IR XLR -> Axe I/O Mic/Line In 2 set to Line.
In the Axe I/O monitor software, your In 2 level should be probably around -3 or -6 dB - strong signal without clipping. Unless the Tonex software expects a much lower signal for some weird reason.

Guitar -> Axe I/O Input 1 set to Instrument. Make sure direct send to Amp out is not enabled if that matters.
I actually struggle with the need to set the input gain on the guitar input when making captures.

ToneX makes this one of the very first steps that you need to do in the capturing process, yet the guitar input is not used during the training process, so unless ToneX is collecting data at this point, which it uses later in the capture process, it seems to me you could turn the input gain down to nothing before pressing the "start" button and it should have no effect on the capture itself.

After capture, if you want to compare model vs amp, obviously you need to set your input gain accordingly, but other than that, am I missing a trick here?

I think I need to do some captures where the only thing I change is the input level (e.g. have it clip, or no level at all), and see if this has any effect on the capture.

I actually struggle with the need to set the input gain on the guitar input when making captures.

ToneX makes this one of the very first steps that you need to do in the capturing process, yet the guitar input is not used during the training process, so unless ToneX is collecting data at this point, which it uses later in the capture process, it seems to me you could turn the input gain down to nothing before pressing the "start" button and it should have no effect on the capture itself.

After capture, if you want to compare model vs amp, obviously you need to set your input gain accordingly, but other than that, am I missing a trick here?

I think I need to do some captures where the only thing I change is the input level (e.g. have it clip, or no level at all), and see if this has any effect on the capture.
It says in the capture process right after the input level check that you are meant to compare the level going to your amp vs plugging directly into your amp and make them match. This ensures that the amp input is receiving an expected level when it starts piping test tones to it.

For the following, I am just going based on pics and whatnot as I have never owned the Axe I/O.

Are you hooking it up like this:
  • Guitar -> Axe I/O Input 1 set to Instrument. Make sure direct send to Amp out is not enabled if that matters.
  • Amp out -> Badlander front input
  • Badlander Cab clone IR XLR -> Axe I/O Mic/Line In 2 set to Line.
In the Axe I/O monitor software, your In 2 level should be probably around -3 or -6 dB - strong signal without clipping. Unless the Tonex software expects a much lower signal for some weird reason.
This is what I did. It worked fine on the last revision. Not so on this version for whatever reason.

This is one of the best things about the Tone-X vs. the other options, imo. Send their test signal to it. My levels are great up through the capture process. Good on the meters and the wave form during the capture window. When I go to compare in the review phase is when things are drastically off.

Latest version of Tonex and latest firmware on the Pedal.

I’m using a Komplete Audio 6 as an interface in Tonex. Setup like this:

FTKGPKW.png

I have to run the Main Output L (blue above) from the KA6 to the AXE Input1 so I can reduce the level going into the AXE. It was clipping Input 1 on the AXE. Also I only set the Tonex levels so they just light up the first two orange dots in the Tonex meters. I'm adjusting the other levels in the AXE so they are just below clipping and adjusting the levels on the KA6 inputs to about 2:00 on the KA6 level knobs. This give me the most balanced levels across the board.

I'm using the AXE so I can load a Drive Block from the AXE going into the front of the Amp and using a Suhr Reactive Load from the Amp back into the AXE to load an IR Block to go from the AXE to Tonex.

I'm monitoring on headphones from the KA6 using Outputs 3/4 on the KA6 since I'm using main Out1 on the KA6 to go into the AXE.

1C9Lm5c.jpg

Yes... I know, honestly this is a mild one.

yh7Z3R2.jpg

And this is why I’ll just remain happy to play your captures.

I wonder if for the best capturing some of this isn't redundant and actually makes things worse. I mean it is great for checking, but I'd rather just set the level with the actual test tone. I wonder if the actual guitar adjustment stuff isn;t breaking the capture's accuracy somehow

Been working with the IK support rep.

So many places for this to go wrong on the end user side :bag :rofl I don't want to jinx this like the Badlander cabclone deal where it starts working then stops the minute I say I wasn't doing it right and that it's working again :facepalm

But progress, perhaps?

You’re smart in the head, I have faith.

Back