IK Multimedia TONEX

Would it help if I backpedaled a bit? Some of the tones are amazing. Some of them don’t do much for me, personally.

I'm sure with more searching/effort I'd absolutely find the amazing tones I know are there in the software.

But - putting the non-user friendliness aside for a sec - multiple go-rounds with Kemper and one with Quad Cortex has taught me that the value of those captures - however great they sound - is largely psychological in a "I want ALL of the amps!" kinda way.

Like, I lust after the amp and cab collection of @Deadpan, and I'd love to have as much of it virtually as I could get. That being said, there isn't really any "tone ubobtanium" that I haven't been able to get from my FM9 and Helix. Even when I look at the rock/metal/prog players whose tone I lust after the most (e.g. Gojira, Josh Middleton, Periphery, Nuno Bettencourt), the vast majority of their recorded highlights are JCM800/Soldano/5150/5153/Dual Rec with/without a clean boost or mid-EQ bump of some sort going into relatively common V30 or Greenback 2/4x12 cabs.

Would I kill to have uncommon high-gain heads such as Omega Obsidian, Fortin Cali, Friedman JEL100, Dover DA50 and the like? You betcha. At the end of the day, however, I only want them as much as they can match the modded Marshall, Recto or 5150 sound I already have in my head. And the 300+ Fractal amps and 2 purplillion IRs already got me there.

Why does this thing play the copy protection hiss at me when I use tones from Tone Net? I have Tonex, not tonex free or tonex SE or tonex max

Why does this thing play the copy protection hiss at me when I use tones from Tone Net? I have Tonex, not tonex free or tonex SE or tonex max

Double check you aren't swapping out the amp vs the cab...I think I've done that before. You have to get the whole tone.

I'll be honest I still haven't gotten the hang of the interface.

Double check you aren't swapping out the amp vs the cab...I think I've done that before. You have to get the whole tone.

I'll be honest I still haven't gotten the hang of the interface.
How do you do this? I just see a list of amps and click on them then it hisses at me
eu7DA6UTgd.png

@pipelineaudio - you can pick a different amp from a different cab, and if you use one from Max and don't have the license it will hiss at you. Not saying that's what's happening, but something to check.

Your screen does look different from mine though so not sure if there's something else at play.

How do you do this? I just see a list of amps and click on them then it hisses at meView attachment 4474

I haven’t opened it since that day, but I had to log in again when I opened it as a plug-in….or maybe it was the standalone? I can’t remember anymore, but regardless, I was getting the hiss because I wasn’t logged in on the app or plug-in, whichever one I was using.

I'm sure with more searching/effort I'd absolutely find the amazing tones I know are there in the software.

But - putting the non-user friendliness aside for a sec - multiple go-rounds with Kemper and one with Quad Cortex has taught me that the value of those captures - however great they sound - is largely psychological in a "I want ALL of the amps!" kinda way.

Like, I lust after the amp and cab collection of @Deadpan, and I'd love to have as much of it virtually as I could get. That being said, there isn't really any "tone ubobtanium" that I haven't been able to get from my FM9 and Helix. Even when I look at the rock/metal/prog players whose tone I lust after the most (e.g. Gojira, Josh Middleton, Periphery, Nuno Bettencourt), the vast majority of their recorded highlights are JCM800/Soldano/5150/5153/Dual Rec with/without a clean boost or mid-EQ bump of some sort going into relatively common V30 or Greenback 2/4x12 cabs.

Would I kill to have uncommon high-gain heads such as Omega Obsidian, Fortin Cali, Friedman JEL100, Dover DA50 and the like? You betcha. At the end of the day, however, I only want them as much as they can match the modded Marshall, Recto or 5150 sound I already have in my head. And the 300+ Fractal amps and 2 purplillion IRs already got me there.

This is kind of where I’m at with my thoughts on captures as a whole and why I think when I get the ToneX pedal, I’ll just load my Fractal amps on it, put it on a board and not really venture into the ecosystem much further.

That said, the idea of having some killer Friedman JJ tones at my hands gets me tingly, which I’m willing to admit is psychological because I’m sure if I listened to a few good JJ demos, I can roll my own JJ using a Fractal HBE model. I’m just a huge Cantrell fan and it’s one of the few amps I’d consider buying these days. I can see myself buying some well made profiles down the road just to check them out……hahahha, which is how I ended up with some 45,000-50,000 IR’s, because I just wanted to check out what they were about.

This is kind of where I’m at with my thoughts on captures as a whole and why I think when I get the ToneX pedal, I’ll just load my Fractal amps on it, put it on a board and not really venture into the ecosystem much further.

That said, the idea of having some killer Friedman JJ tones at my hands gets me tingly, which I’m willing to admit is psychological because I’m sure if I listened to a few good JJ demos, I can roll my own JJ using a Fractal HBE model. I’m just a huge Cantrell fan and it’s one of the few amps I’d consider buying these days. I can see myself buying some well made profiles down the road just to check them out……hahahha, which is how I ended up with some 45,000-50,000 IR’s, because I just wanted to check out what they were about.

100% agree with you and @mikah912 - I loved with Kemper the depth of tone and the dynamics and how you can shape things and what not. But I hated that profile hunting became a rabbit hole especially because the cab/mic section was a complete crapshoot. That's why I liked MBritt's stuff the most, he used a consistent cab and mic setup for most of his captures.

But at the end of the day it was a lot easier to just settle in with one or two IR's and the Fractal. I could tweak the tones and didn't have to worry about the cabs being all out of whack. Hated going from a bassy dark profile to a screeching bright one.

Also, my dream amp for years has been to have a Friedman JJ 100, or even the JJ Jr. I'd run it with an HX Effects in 4CM and an OX Box for direct. That would be a killer setup, although it would cost nearly $10k.

Also, my dream amp for years has been to have a Friedman JJ 100, or even the JJ Jr. I'd run it with an HX Effects in 4CM and an OX Box for direct. That would be a killer setup, although it would cost nearly $10k.

Hahaha and this is where my contrarian/gear head side kicks in, because the ToneX with HXFX and some great JJ profiles would be right about $1K. While also still being a fully loaded, badass backup rig that doesn’t take up a ton of space.

Hahaha and this is where my contrarian/gear head side kicks in, because the ToneX with HXFX and some great JJ profiles would be right about $1K. While also still being a fully loaded, badass backup rig that doesn’t take up a ton of space.

Right, but the issue would be the quality of the profiles. I bought several Friedman Kemper profiles and almost all of them sucked. I know they're great amps and they all had great sound clips and used the right gear but no dice.

Why am I getting "modeler is not available in this version of tonex"?

I have Tonex, not free or SE or whatever, mine says "Standalone application and plug-in to create, play and share Tone Models. Includes 400 Premium Tone Models and unlimited User Tone Model downloads."

Last edited:
Right, but the issue would be the quality of the profiles. I bought several Friedman Kemper profiles and almost all of them sucked. I know they're great amps and they all had great sound clips and used the right gear but no dice.
Yeah the ones on Tone Net are not good. No offense of the person who made them is here lol I'm sure it's not easy to do

Back in my Kemper days, I bought a JJ100 pack from Reampzone, and, uh....... wasn't what I wanted.

Surprisingly, there aren't that many third-party pack choices on Kemper for this amp. Tonecrate is way too much and sounds mid, while Top Jimi.....is not great to my ears. I'll leave it at that.

Did my first capture and sure enough, it beat the hell out of every attempt I've seen of trying to match the helix to another amp sound. Feels pretty dirty and maybe iffy sleeze that you can't seem to search by uploader, is this planned to be added later @IK Multimedia ?

@pipelineaudio - you can pick a different amp from a different cab, and if you use one from Max and don't have the license it will hiss at you. Not saying that's what's happening, but something to check.

Your screen does look different from mine though so not sure if there's something else at play.

This has probably been said before but just in case ....

The hissing goes completely away once you have downloaded the Capture to your PC. I don't know why IK have done it this way, but you must download the Capture to get rid of it.

So for example, if you are running Tonex CS [Free Version] you can have 10 x IK Capture's plus 5 x IK Pedal Captures plus up to 20 x ToneNET user-created Captures *all hiss free* provided they are downloaded to your Computer.

All the best,
Ben

IK is kind of notorious for making their browsers biased towards you spending money, often to the point of being unusable. People have begged for years, for amplitube for example, to be able to filter out the paid stuff that you may not own. Instead you have entire piles of presets that you can't use and no real way to filter between them.

Not being able to search by uploader seems to direct things in a certain way that seems quite deliberately unpleasant to me

Back