IK Multimedia TONEX

Maybe there's a bundled version or similar on your account. I'm willing to assume that :D

I've given you guys hella grief in the past, but I gotta say I think y'all knocked this one outta the park. I may go ahead and pick one up just as a backup, but I pinky swear not to use the code I saw as I'm not a Tonex owner (got a ton of OTHER IK Multimedia stuff in my account, but not that....)

Tried this vs Axe-Fx 3 models. Not scientific or anything. I ran the ToneX without cab sims to Axe-Fx 3 cab block so I could easily use scenes to swap between amp model vs ToneX app with the same cab sim.

I think soundwise ToneX can get close, but I feel Fractal reacts better to picking dynamics and rolling the guitar volume down. Especially with any tone models which have a baked in drive pedal, the equivalent setup on Fractal just cleaned way better.

Now this might be just an issue with gain staging from Axe-Fx 3 to ToneX or just a difference in the way the models are setup because the details in ToneX models are extremely sparse even for IK's own models so I had to dial by ear.

But I mean the software or the pedal costs a fraction of even the cheapest Fractal unit so there's a lot of appeal in that.

I still don't love the "find the profiles you like" approach compared to "pick an amp model and dial it to your liking".

Tried this vs Axe-Fx 3 models. Not scientific or anything. I ran the ToneX without cab sims to Axe-Fx 3 cab block so I could easily use scenes to swap between amp model vs ToneX app with the same cab sim.

I think soundwise ToneX can get close, but I feel Fractal reacts better to picking dynamics and rolling the guitar volume down. Especially with any tone models which have a baked in drive pedal, the equivalent setup on Fractal just cleaned way better.

Now this might be just an issue with gain staging from Axe-Fx 3 to ToneX or just a difference in the way the models are setup because the details in ToneX models are extremely sparse even for IK's own models so I had to dial by ear.

But I mean the software or the pedal costs a fraction of even the cheapest Fractal unit so there's a lot of appeal in that.

I still don't love the "find the profiles you like" approach compared to "pick an amp model and dial it to your liking".
How about Tonex into its own cabs in a side by side?

How about Tonex into its own cabs in a side by side?
I should try it at some point but at least for the tone models I have on the free version I feel every time I used the cabs in the capture it sounded worse than using the York Audio IRs I have loaded on the Axe-Fx 3. Maybe it's just a sound preference or again a gain staging/output volume thing.

Would anyone else love to see a TONEX rack unit? It wouldn't need anything more than the pedal (though an IEC connector with integrated PSU would be nice), but I personally prefer the rack format. Didn't stop me from ordering the pedal, but a boy can dream. I'd have one installed next to my Axe Fx and Helix in a heartbeat.

I should try it at some point but at least for the tone models I have on the free version I feel every time I used the cabs in the capture it sounded worse than using the York Audio IRs I have loaded on the Axe-Fx 3. Maybe it's just a sound preference or again a gain staging/output volume thing.
I like York Audio IRs, however I’ve not had good luck with the levels when loading them within the Tonex software version.

Would anyone else love to see a TONEX rack unit? It wouldn't need anything more than the pedal (though an IEC connector with integrated PSU would be nice), but I personally prefer the rack format. Didn't stop me from ordering the pedal, but a boy can dream. I'd have one installed next to my Axe Fx and Helix in a heartbeat.
Meh. You could always just throw the pedal in a rack drawer.

I need to find a good tutorial on finding profiles on Tonex, as well as Amplitube. I feel like a blind guy trying to walk through a maze.

Stumbled onto a good Diezel profile though, one of the factory ones. It sounds really good. And I like that you can tweak the EQ and gain without everything going to the hot place. I think if I find a bunch of good ones and store as favorites, that will be killer.

Not sure I'll put much more time into Amplitube though...kind of sucks that 3/4 of the stuff is still locked out after buying the standard version. It's pretty clunky too. Got spoiled with that Helix Native interface.

I've given you guys hella grief in the past, but I gotta say I think y'all knocked this one outta the park. I may go ahead and pick one up just as a backup, but I pinky swear not to use the code I saw as I'm not a Tonex owner (got a ton of OTHER IK Multimedia stuff in my account, but not that....)
I probably wouldn’t have bought the pedal without the discount, so I’m just going to write this one off as a win-win. ;)

56297829.jpg

I probably wouldn’t have bought the pedal without the discount, so I’m just going to write this one off as a win-win. ;)

56297829.jpg

I waffled a bit, but jumped off the fence and decided it was a "no" once I messed with the software. Just have to echo others in saying I don't like the user experience at all, and the default tones (and first searches) weren't bowling me over either. I absolutely believe some of the profiling/capturing champs here that it's great at that stuff, but the user experience isn't there for me YET...even at this price for the hardware.

I waffled a bit, but jumped off the fence and decided it was a "no" once I messed with the software. Just have to echo others in saying I don't like the user experience at all, and the default tones (and first searches) weren't bowling me over either. I absolutely believe some of the profiling/capturing champs here that it's great at that stuff, but the user experience isn't there for me YET...even at this price for the hardware.
I hated the demo tones and still hate the UI, but I couldn’t pass it up at this price. The tones in the pedal out of the box are actually pretty amazing.

P.S. I didn't mean to laugh at your post. Emoji typo. :D

Last edited:
Back