IK Multimedia Tone X One?

“ToneX is 1/4 the price of a QC! NDSP is over!”

Wishful Thinking GIF by ION

Mini pedal to replace my Amplifirebox MkI (which I'm always only using one sound from anyway) - not bad!
But how can you go through the amp models on the device?

I'm still cracking up that a company that had plugins out before Line6 did STILL doesn't have a full featured pedalboard to run Amplitube

I too found that puzzling until I remembered they're a company that essentially sells software/hardware vending machines that are just a portal to their various "custom shops" with a la carte microtransaction add-ons galore. So how would it behoove them to give people a flagship all-in-one? Or free aftermarket updates like their competitors in that segment?

IK Multimedia's corporate ethos is "Nickel-and-dime or GTFO".

Hm. Unlike the big pedal, this might become a must-have for me, of course depending on how easy it is to browse through the loaded captures - maybe they have a mobile editor that you can connect via USB? That'd be quite nice (great feature of the NUX Amp Academy, fwiw).

Last edited:
Having a separate control buried deep for input gain does worry me. Is it a "set and forget" or something you need to adjust? Wasn't the input gain being all over the place for captures an issue?

Manual here: https://g1.ikmultimedia.com/html/Manuals/TONEXONE/TONEX_ONE_User_Manual.pdf

They've packed a lot of options in there considering how few controls the thing has, so good job IK for that at least.

IMO the "lock" and "setup" functions for pressing ALT for 3 vs 6 seconds should be reversed. I can bet a lot of people will end up accidentally locking the pedal.

With no mention of MIDI control, this will most likely be a pedal that annoys people over time because it's so small and those tiny knobs will be a bit of a pain in the ass. IMO this didn't need to be this small and a Boss sized pedal would have been fine and still a massive improvement over the big Tonex.

My thougths: it's a cool little pedal and for that price I'll probably pick one up cuz it would allow me to carry around captures of my FM9's favourite amps in my pocket.
But, overall I think a half-way product between this and the regular tonex pedal would have been the sweet spot for many. Housing it in a classic B or BB enclosure would have allowed them to put things like full sized knobs for the controls, separate jacks for stereo out and headphones, midi I/O, a rotary switch/encoder to select presets/models, less hidden functions and parameters and maybe even a little display.
And it would have been a much more usable product with no need to make two separate versions.

PS: and being IK Multimedia, I won't be surprised if such a product comes out in 6 months from now anyway.

Last edited:
Hm. Unlike the big pedal, this might become a must-have for me, of course depending on how easy it is to browse through the loaded captures - maybe they have a mobile editor that you can connect via USB? That'd be quite nice (great feature of the NUX Amp Academy, fwiw).

TONEX sounds pretty awesome so, at ~$180, it's worth on that alone. But, if you're looking for a great software experience... you might want to buy something else.

Last edited:
Back