IK Multimedia Tone X One?

My thougths: it's a cool little pedal and for that price I'll probably pick one up cuz it would allow me to carry around captures of my FM9's favourite amps in my pocket.
But, overall I think a half-way product between this and the regular tonex pedal would have been the sweet spot for many. Housing it in a classic B or BB enclosure would have allowed them to put things like full sized knobs for the controls, separate jacks for stereo out and headphones, midi I/O, a rotary switch/encoder to select presets/models, less hidden functions and parameters and maybe even a little display.
And it would have been a much more usable product with no need to make two separate versions.

PS: and being IK Multimedia, I won't be surprised if such a product comes out in 6 months from now anyway.
Yeah but then they can’t sell you a 3rd tonex pedal when they bring that one out

The mini makes sense though, cheap as chips way to dip your toes into half decent captures, and it’s a small footprint.

Oooh, it can be powered via USB-C! That's nooooice. And has a built-in chromatic tuner.

Damnit, at $180 i'm willing to overlook all TONEX software quirknesses. I'll probably end up buying one.

I wonder if you could wire a 1/4" jack to that switch so you could at least get two sounds from your main switching system. Otherwise, ouch, real bummer that it didn't have midi

So, for those of you experienced with Tonex already (I never bothered with the software): Is it at least sort of easy (as in "easy for IK standards") to use direct captures and add your own IR? Or rather: Does it appear to be possible with this thing at all? Because that's a thing I need.

Apart from that, if I'd get this unit, it'd be a replacement for my Amplifirebox, serving as an almost clean pedal platform. Same reason I almost bought a Boss IR-2, but I didn't like the clean(ish) amps on it as much as I like the Bman on the AFB (which is what I'd try to capture).
And regarding that role on my pedalboard, the form factor can't be beaten.

PS: and being IK Multimedia, I won't be surprised if such a product comes out in 6 months from now anyway.
and they’ll change the input levels on every new product, and bundle them with competing software that you can’t resell.

It’s a smart move from IK though - for all the benefits of NAM and even Tonocracy, if you flood the market with something affordable and already well adopted on the user content side they’ll sell well.

So, for those of you experienced with Tonex already (I never bothered with the software): Is it at least sort of easy (as in "easy for IK standards") to use direct captures and add your own IR? Or rather: Does it appear to be possible with this thing at all? Because that's a thing I need.
My understanding is that if in the Tonex software you put a custom IR on the preset, then it gets transfered to the Tonex One too.

My understanding is that if in the Tonex software you put a custom IR on the preset, then it gets transfered to the Tonex One too.

Yeah, that's what I seemed to remember, too, thanks. That'd do for me. Wouldn't need to scroll through IRs on the unit.

Now, is this thing true bypass? And what's the latency like (waiting for Mr. Gibson I suppose...).

Seriously, this could be a great thing to help scaling down my pedalboard quite a bit.

It’s a smart move from IK though - for all the benefits of NAM and even Tonocracy, if you flood the market with something affordable and already well adopted on the user content side they’ll sell well.
Yeah neither of those products is available as a hardware product. The OG Tonex pedal was a pretty large box so it wasn't a straightforward "just throw this on a pedalboard", but this mini size certainly is.

It's interesting how we have got mini amp/cab sim pedals from Boss, Line6 and IK in a relatively short time. Makes me wonder if these companies see trends where people are buying pedals instead of the bigger all-in-one boxes.

Makes me also wonder how much room there is for products that offer higher quality amp modeling and fx, because even Tonex One is in that "more than good enough" territory for many players.

Otherwise, ouch, real bummer that it didn't have midi

Confirmed, no MIDI of any kind, not even through USB :( Included software is TONEX SE + AmpliTube 5 SE.

Some really nice features though, like USB audio interface, USB power, controls lock and a built-in tuner.

It's interesting how we have got mini amp/cab sim pedals from Boss, Line6 and IK in a relatively short time. Makes me wonder if these companies see trends where people are buying pedals instead of the bigger all-in-one boxes.
There's definitely a huge market of people that it'll appeal to, especially due to getting the price really low. For someone who already owns a modeller, its still kind of a no-brainer. £150 upgrade for a capture block in your favourite modeller. Or £150 for another channel on your amp. It'll also appeal to pedalboard guys who have spec'd out exactly which FX and other pedals they want to use and don't need the whole kitchen sink of a full modeller. Its also a solid backup option, again because the price is so low.

I think most important of all is they got it out before the Chinese mini NAM pedals flood the market.

IK also know that the editor and software can be almost total dogshit if the price is low enough. I don't think the ToneX software is THAT bad at all, but I think IK know that "good enough is fine" so long as they can keep selling them. Case in point - there are still T-Racks plugins that you can't bypass without delay compensation going to shit. This has been an issue since as long as I've used T-Racks and IK hasn't fixed it because there are bigger fish to fry. The customer experience they are going for is "ahh well, at least it was only cheap". I think most IK customers end up learning this the hard way, and either accept it is what it is, or eventually they stopped getting sucked in.

Did Ola just confirm in his demo that there is a "bigger pedal, smaller pedal, and now this"?

I think by now there's plenty of people sort of like me, who like a kind of "analog workflow" but also want a flexible and "DI-capable" setup.
As you will know better than most others round these parts, pretty much all All-In-One modelers fail miserably regarding analog workflow (even if you wade through major hoops as in adding knob controller and what not), so it's a nice idea to keep an existing pedalboard, change it ever so slightly and possibly even reduce the footprint a bit.
By now, I could even imagine to replace both my Amplifirebox (dirt pedal plaform) and Amp Academy (clean-ish) with two of these. That way I could keep using the Stomp for spatial FX only (my original plan was to replace either the AA or AFB with a Stomp amp).

Of all the miniaturized things offered so far this year, this one appeals to me the most. If it had some sort of onboard headphone amp/out, I'd probably have already bought one.

Back