IK Multimedia Tone X One?

Which they are going to release at a cost later , from rumblings in their forum

Oh, so now they're following IK Multimedia's nickel-and-dime business model?

You Are Smart Good Advice GIF by CBC

I'd imagine you buy a Tonex One if you already have a bunch of pedals.
Yeah that would make most sense.

Although the marketing write up says "buy multiple for a complete setup" or whatever. But again that's marketing 🤣

Which they are going to release at a cost later , from rumblings in their forum
I wonder if that's going to change with the increase of cheaper capture tech being released. The Player is still the best all in one solution though so they might not feel too much pressure

The Player is still the best all in one solution though…
In its price range, maybe.

I just checked on that price. Product is listed as “Kemper Profiler Player Modeling Pedal”, which has to be the most hilariously ambiguous/ confusing description of all time. I thought IK would hold the title for at least a couple of years after naming their profiles/ captures “models”. :D

Except the Player has a gimped selection of effects.
Compared to the Stage or ‘Toaster’ version yes. Compared to the tiny TONEX quite the opposite.
Not saying plugging one of these tiny guys into a pedal board makes no sense but the suggestion that a USB audio path makes it a stand alone recording solution is what spurred my fanboy nerve to twitch lol
To compete with the Player for that purpose you would have to spend/assemble a higher priced collection of boxes that consume much more space and funds.

Compared to the Stage or ‘Toaster’ version yes. Compared to the tiny TONEX quite the opposite.
Not saying plugging one of these tiny guys into a pedal board makes no sense but the suggestion that a USB audio path makes it a stand alone recording solution is what spurred my fanboy nerve to twitch lol
To compete with the Player for that purpose you would have to spend/assemble a higher priced collection of boxes that consume much more space and funds.
Absolutely right.

I still don't get why people compares AIAB pedals to multifx units.

The player is crimped compared to its big brothers, yes. And I see it has several drawbacks. But honestly, I could gig with only the Player and have pro tones (I guess no one would now argue that kemper delivers pro quality, would anyone?). I could NOT gig with only the ToneX without giving up any effect I would want to use. They are quiet different products, not comparable at all, IMO.

Absolutely right.

I still don't get why people compares AIAB pedals to multifx units.

The player is crimped compared to its big brothers, yes. And I see it has several drawbacks. But honestly, I could gig with only the Player and have pro tones (I guess no one would now argue that kemper delivers pro quality, would anyone?). I could NOT gig with only the ToneX without giving up any effect I would want to use. They are quiet different products, not comparable at all, IMO.

That's your individual use case, tho. Objectively, one could absolutely gig with just ToneX pedal as well.

Even though both products are too limited for my taste, I think the gimping of the Kemper Profiler Player makes the least sense because it's just an artificial limitation created to open an additional income stream down the line. The effects are already there and developed, the Player has the hardware to run them. They're just being held back for $$$. IK Multimedia, on the other hand, has a bunch of disparate smaller hardware products (e.g. X-pedals) that could be converged into a single device, but they've never shown the hardware expertise for the UI or flagship processing that such a device would require.

That's your individual use case, tho. Objectively, one could absolutely gig with just ToneX pedal as well.
Yeah, my personal use case and also the one of anybody needing a chorus, or any other effect except a compressor and a reverb.
Even though both products are too limited for my taste, I think the gimping of the Kemper Profiler Player makes the least sense because it's just an artificial limitation created to open an additional income stream down the line. The effects are already there and developed, the Player has the hardware to run them. They're just being held back for $$$. IK Multimedia, on the other hand, has a bunch of disparate smaller hardware products (e.g. X-pedals) that could be converged into a single device, but they've never shown the hardware expertise for the UI or flagship processing that such a device would require.
The limitations are there... But the kemper has almost any effect you could need. I'm not entering into a commercial strategy. I just say that with the Player I have a palette of effects to use, even when simultaneously there's just 4 + amp + cab + noise gate. Not talking about artificial limitations or even wether it's expensive or not. Just stating what it objectively offers... Which is a completely different thing than just an AIAB pedal.

Mate, if that's comparable to the ToneX then yeah, I'm focusing on my very personal use case.

EDIT: oh, forgot the transpose function, or virtual capo, not occupying an fx slot.

Last edited:
Yeah, my personal use case and also the one of anybody needing a chorus, or any other effect except a compressor and a reverb.

The limitations are there... But the kemper has almost any effect you could need. I'm not entering into a commercial strategy. I just say that with the Player I have a palette of effects to use, even when simultaneously there's just 4 + amp + cab + noise gate. Not taking about artificial limitations or even wether it's expensive or not. Just stating what it objectively offers... Which is a completely different thing than just an AIAB pedal.

Mate, if that's comparable to the ToneX then yeah, I'm focusing on my very personal use case.

Well, what about the need for a screen to see what you're actually footswitching?

I mean, I agree that they're different products - the price points reflect that - but they're also both underfeatured (IMHO) in their respective ways. And yes, I think the Kemper Profiler Player's shortcomings are more disappointing.

The effects are already there and developed, the Player has the hardware to run them.
THIS! I know, chip shortage, etc...and yes the chip shortage has had a MAJOR impact on so much stuff, but I would be more than insanely surprised if all of the Helix's DSP couldn't fit in the HX One

Well, what about the need for a screen to see what you're actually footswitching?

I mean, I agree that they're different products - the price points reflect that - but they're also both underfeatured (IMHO) in their respective ways. And yes, I think the Kemper Profiler Player's shortcomings are more disappointing.
Of course! I never said it's perfect. Didn't even say it's good (or bad).

I only say that they are not comparable. One is a multifx (disappointing or not) and the other one is basically an AIAB (great or not).

Of course! I never said it's perfect. Didn't even say it's good (or bad).

I only say that they are not comparable. One is a multifx (disappointing or not) and the other one is basically an AIAB (great or not).
Same conversation I kept stumbling into whenever someone said “ToneX is 1/4 the price of a QC! NDSP is over!” Like, what’s one got to do with the other?

Back