I turned 40 today

Happy Birthday!!!

Definitely get back into playing bands and working out if you can. If you find the right people it's a lot of fun, keeps me sane. It does make you wanna be in two places at once though bc when you are doing band stuff it's time away from the fam but balance is good.

40 just made me realize that life is going by fast so I want to enjoy every bit.

I played in bands from about 12 until 22, then shifted over to playing hockey. Good physical exercise, still very social, much less drinking, and no expectations about having to try and go on regional tours of people's basements to try and get an indie record deal.

When I had kids, they got into sports as well, and I got into coaching them which was fun. But for my oldest those days have just passed, and not sure if the other kids will do anything I can coach. That's a bit sad. Coaching through my 30's was a lot of work but it was very fun and rewarding.

So I do feel like I need a new challenge, or at least a new hobby. It's hard with younger kids to find the time, but it would be great to actually find something I could do with my wife as we don't really have anything like that. We used to go out back when we were drinkers and before kids, but now almost never. Now we mostly just parent, which isn't sustainable.

Been wanting to get into biking, or spending more time outdoors. That would be fun, and we're in a good state to do that (Minnesota).

or early end of your 50s

I haven't stressed about milestones yet, but 50 is a bit scary.

20 was all fun and games, wasn't even 21 yet. I was halfway through college, playing in a great band, and trying to get laid.

30 wasn't bad either, still in pretty good shape, had a young kid and split with him mom, but met a great gal and we were planning our wedding (10 year anniversary next month).

40 as I mentioned, I've pretty much checked all the boxes in terms of accomplishments, outside of keeping myself in better shape.

50 though feels like I need to have done more by then, not sure what. I don't want to be doing the same thing I'm doing everyday for the next decade, although I don't know what that means. Feels like I need to take some kind of step forward.

IMG_2016.jpeg

Feels like I need to take some kind of step forward.

Happy belated!

I turned 40 last October and your observations are similar to mine. The 30’s felt like playing a bit of catch-up/getting things in order and 40, so far, seems to be a bit more about being grateful/realizing when you have enough and just enjoying that.

Happy belated Birthday!

Looking back, I'm of the opinion somewhere between 37-42 is the sweet spot in life.

Most people don't have too many severe aches and pains, noticeable physical changes, you've figured out mostly what's important to you, and have the means to maintain your focus for the next decade or so.

FYI...If you don't need vision correction today, you will have a change in your eyesight within the next 5 years (presbyopia). How much it bothers you is an individual thing, but even the lowest power readers will eventually start to be a need , or you can have surgery to reshape your lenses.

You don't say.

Cant See Ken Jeong GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

I started wearing readers in my early 50s. I fought it stubbornly for a couple of years prior.

I love reading, and always have a couple of books going at a time, and 1.5x readers make it
so much more enjoyable.

Just don't ask me to run or jump. :LOL:

Happy birthday and welcome to the 40s club!

I feel in my 40s I've also checked most of my important things - found a great gal, have a good job and more guitar gear than I need. We do want to buy a small house in the next few years but it's all going to come down to whether it's still sensible with rising costs, mortgage rates etc.

I do wish I was in a better shape and have been slowly working towards it. I was in the best shape of my life in my late 20s and during most of my 30s, then kinda fell off the exercise wagon. It certainly doesn't help that my spouse is a great cook!

Back