I turned 40 today

Jarick

Shredder
Feels about the same as any other day.

Was wondering if I'd get hit with some weird feeling like I should be doing something more, or different, or better. Not too much, aside from wishing I was in better shape and thinking about playing music in bands again.

In the last decade I got (and stayed) married, had two more kids, bought my first house, got sober, upgraded to my forever house, got promoted several times, paid off $100k in debt, etc. Been pretty lucky and also worked pretty had.

Also had some tough times, my parents moved halfway across the country and we stopped speaking, lost a few close family members, lost touch with several friends, and suffered some hearing damage that worsened my tinnitus.

Thought about the last few days, maybe I should buy something fun to mark the occasion...nah. I splurged on a ton of stuff recently that I don't need. Better idea would be a midlife gear purge, more likely.

Toasting the occasion with an NA beer, friends coming over with their kids, grilling and eating good food, and taking the kids to see fireworks.

Happy Birthday!!!

Definitely get back into playing bands and working out if you can. If you find the right people it's a lot of fun, keeps me sane. It does make you wanna be in two places at once though bc when you are doing band stuff it's time away from the fam but balance is good.

40 just made me realize that life is going by fast so I want to enjoy every bit.

Happy Birthday @Jarick !

Yeah, 40 didn’t really feel different than any other for me. It’s just a number. On Mars, you’d be about 14219 sols. Hardly significant when compared to the decade milestones we observe on Earth. 🙂

Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday GIF by The Simpsons

Feels about the same as any other day.

Was wondering if I'd get hit with some weird feeling like I should be doing something more, or different, or better. Not too much, aside from wishing I was in better shape and thinking about playing music in bands again.

In the last decade I got (and stayed) married, had two more kids, bought my first house, got sober, upgraded to my forever house, got promoted several times, paid off $100k in debt, etc. Been pretty lucky and also worked pretty had.

Also had some tough times, my parents moved halfway across the country and we stopped speaking, lost a few close family members, lost touch with several friends, and suffered some hearing damage that worsened my tinnitus.

Thought about the last few days, maybe I should buy something fun to mark the occasion...nah. I splurged on a ton of stuff recently that I don't need. Better idea would be a midlife gear purge, more likely.

Toasting the occasion with an NA beer, friends coming over with their kids, grilling and eating good food, and taking the kids to see fireworks.
Happy belated Birthday!

Looking back, I'm of the opinion somewhere between 37-42 is the sweet spot in life.

Most people don't have too many severe aches and pains, noticeable physical changes, you've figured out mostly what's important to you, and have the means to maintain your focus for the next decade or so.

FYI...If you don't need vision correction today, you will have a change in your eyesight within the next 5 years (presbyopia). How much it bothers you is an individual thing, but even the lowest power readers will eventually start to be a need , or you can have surgery to reshape your lenses.

Happy belated Birthday!

Looking back, I'm of the opinion somewhere between 37-42 is the sweet spot in life.

Most people don't have too many severe aches and pains, noticeable physical changes, you've figured out mostly what's important to you, and have the means to maintain your focus for the next decade or so.

FYI...If you don't need vision correction today, you will have a change in your eyesight within the next 5 years (presbyopia). How much it bothers you is an individual thing, but even the lowest power readers will eventually start to be a need , or you can have surgery to reshape your lenses.

Yeah my mom started needing cheaters just after 40. I've had 20/20 vision through today, although my vision isn't quite what it used to be when driving at night.

Back