I Think It's Nice To Know Members' Tastes. So..., Question For You...

I don't have any one favorite band. For me it is about individual songs, playing techniques or song composition. There are many good songs by many bands out there. I feel a level of energy from songs. I tend to like the ones with higher energy. I need to add guitar tone to the list of things that draw me in. Some songs the guitar tone just fit the part being played. I also like songs with space in them. Some bands are better at these things than others but you really never know where the next great song will come from.

I like and appreciate a lot of the same bands that others around here to. I am sure I like some that many on here won't like or have even heard of. I have a pretty wide listening range.

HA I used to know Piggy (Denis) very well before he passed away RiP, such a super nice guy him and his girlfriend were really great down to earth people
very quiet type , loved music especially Pink Floyd and a Labatt 50 ale

:beer
That's awesome. I have pix of my old band, VoiVod and Deceased all hanging together in Baltimore a lifetime ago. Every time I saw em they were all just killer guys to hang with.

That's awesome. I have pix of my old band, VoiVod and Deceased all hanging together in Baltimore a lifetime ago. Every time I saw em they were all just killer guys to hang with.
Yes I knew Piggy back in the Day in the Montreal music Scene, he would always come to the Backstreet (Heavy Metal Bar)
and him and his girlfriend would always sit with us at the Bar area

:headbang

Yes I knew Piggy back in the Day in the Montreal music Scene, he would always come to the Backstreet (Heavy Metal Bar)
and him and his girlfriend would always sit with us at the Bar area

:headbang
There are a lot of killer Canadian metal bands beyond the obvious. VoiVod, Sacrifice, Jeff Waters, Sword. Lots of good stuff up your way \m/

really big into hardcore and death metal that borders on it these days: vien.fm, sanguisugabogg, dying fetus, jesus piece, drain, knocked loose, 200 stab wounds, gel, end, madball, incendiary. and a bunch of locals.

also love death doom like mortiferium and worm. and whatever older deafheaven is i love it - is that black gaze lol

grateful dead are one of my all time favs too

chicago footwork is rad: dj rashad, dj manny, my brother dj boylan. big fan of sama.

hum are super cool too, love the heavy ambient stuff

i also love pop stuff like billie eliesh, juice wrld, halsey, saint jhn, paramore

There are a lot of killer Canadian metal bands beyond the obvious. VoiVod, Sacrifice, Jeff Waters, Sword. Lots of good stuff up your way \m/
Yes I knew Rick Hughes as well of Sword and with His other Band Saint and sinners during the late 80's? another Super Nice guy and a really good singer

Last edited:
Yes I knew Rick Hughes as well of Sword and with His other Band Saint and sinners during the 80's another Super Nice guy and a really good singer

That Metalized album from Sword is such a under the radar killer album! Dudes voice is great \m/

Yeah Montreal had a great Music and Bar Scene there were so many showbar venues and Rock and Metal bars back in da day, it was a Rock/Metal city, sadly today it is a shadow of its former self with barely if any showbars to speak of and no good bands coming out

:cry:

Heavy Metal GIF by jbetcom

I'm feeling myself as an metal head from 2000 and for some reasons dislike a lot of other music :satan. Have no friends with exact same taste in music...

Here is what's on my list:
  • Some heavy stuff that had the most impact on me = Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Septicflesh, Textures, Novembre, Dimmu Borgir (Stromblast!!), Cradle of Filth, Necrophobic, Agalloch, Despised Icon, Beneath the Massacre, Ion Dissonance and many more :rawk
  • On the soft side = Placebo, Garbage, old Biffy Clyro, Rammstein, Cranberries and so on

Dance Gavin Dance. They are a weird mashup of emo/post-hardcore with prog, funk, and R&B elements. Albums have been consistently very good to amazing, even though they have had three different lead singers and changed styles over the years. Plus Will Swan plays these brilliant off the wall parts.

Some of my favorite songs:

And Will Swan playing his crazy parts:

Dance Gavin Dance. They are a weird mashup of emo/post-hardcore with prog, funk, and R&B elements. Albums have been consistently very good to amazing, even though they have had three different lead singers and changed styles over the years. Plus Will Swan plays these brilliant off the wall parts.

Some of my favorite songs:

And Will Swan playing his crazy parts:

They are definitely a unique sound imo! Some songs I really like, others I really don't. Nothing usually in between!

They are definitely a unique sound imo! Some songs I really like, others I really don't. Nothing usually in between!

Yeah I can't describe but it hits me perfectly. I'm guessing 99% of people would hate the band but for me it's fantastic.

Their new stuff is a lot more poppy but still has a lot of prog and hardcore elements. Tilian has a super high pitched voice that probably drives a lot of people nuts too.

Impossible to choose a single favourite band, but Dream Theater was probably #1 during my teens.
Images & Words / Awake and Scenes from a Memory are burned into my brain!

Now
I might say Opeth, but I've listened to them so much that I rarely listen lately.
These days I'm into much more jazz / funk stuff (Steely Dan, Spyro Gyra, Casiopea, etc) but I still love bands like Toto and Rush, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd.
My favourite song of all time is a tie between What a Fool Believes and Hotel California. :sofa

Back