I Gotta Wonder About Fractal's, er, "Perception"

Reading a thread at TOP in which a newbie is looking for advice regarding which modeler to purchase, and it doesn't take long before the typical Fractal comments start up. Which has me wondering a few things:

"I sold it because the UI is too much of a PITA and it couldn't do X."

Possible reality: It does do what you want it to do, but you either wanted the info spoon-fed to you, or simply quit trying to learn how, prior to giving up. Units like the ones from FAS can do SO much, and are designed to give the widest amount of players the most options, that some of that stuff will require learning some new skills on how to make it do what you want. If I bought a RJM Mastermind, I would expect a steep learning curve to be able to set it up to be able to make it scroll through songs, while also giving me the ability to access certain effects 'on-the-fly', while also having my choice of 3 different crunch tones whenever I wanted, etc., e.g.

"Any of the 3 will sound fine live or in a mix, and neither the audience nor you will be able to tell the differences."

Reality: We're guitarists, and we're pretty damn picky as a lot, about our tone. So even minor differences do matter to a lot of us. Just read through the DR thread! And just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean no one can! Plus, how the units react to your playing is also a factor. And/or, maybe you have shit ears. For me, I want to have a great tone, before I worry about what I'm able to give to an audience.

"Insert famous artist is using X unit. So that means X is the best."

Really? I'd say yes and no. Many, many artists use Fractal, but Fractal doesn't do endorsements. But do we know if any other brands do? Honest question. And as for buying any gear because a certain famous guitarist uses it..., yeah, we do that because we love their tones, and want them for our own use. It's why I play Mesa amps, a Majesty guitar, and use a Fractal Axe III. And I know I'm not in the minority in wanting to cop either my favorite player's tone, or a certain amp's tone I love. (Well, I don't know, but I think it's a safe educated assumption. How's that?)

So many people absolutely love FAS products because of the crazy amount of support from Cliff Chase. It's undoubtedly a fantastic way to run a company, so it sure does seem to follow that that makes a lot of their customers a bit fanatical. Especially when that level of service-after-the-sale is so lacking these days.

Not sure what to comment about that one, other than to say it's somewhat human nature to want to knock the "king" off the throne (I purposely put king in quotes, even though personally I do feel FAS is the best, overall.) Just look at 2 football players at somewhat opposite ends of the spectrum, and the shit they got: Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick. (Maybe not the greatest analogy, but hopefully you get my point.)

And last, the pot-shots that people take about the graphs. FFS people, it's simply the way a guy like Cliff can show us, in an objective manner, that his products match closer to the item he's modelling, than the competition. Makes perfect sense he would do that, especially given how hard it is to agree on accuracy, with just our ears.

TL;DR: There is only one valid reason (doesn't bother me personally, but I can see why it bothers many others) why FAS deserves any criticism, and that's the hardware workflow. But for the others, I think if you drill down far enough, those arguments just don't hold up. All in my observation, IMO, YMMV, yada yada...
I've gotta say, the most annoying part about TOP was how many folks were commenting in D&M "should I get x or y?" that had absolutely zero experience with y where x was Helix. This seems kinda like the same kinda thread? My understanding is that you don't have any experience with Kemper, QC, Helix, etc?

Wait -- @TJMaj

I've gotta say, the most annoying part about TOP was how many folks were commenting in D&M "should I get x or y?" that had absolutely zero experience with y where x was Helix. This seems kinda like the same kinda thread? My understanding is that you don't have any experience with Kemper, QC, Helix, etc?

Confirmation bias and validation are the rules of the day in threads like that. Lots and lots of emotional bias.

the league television GIF by hero0fwar

I'm not as great as some are at getting their point across.

My post was never about me being qualified to recommend one brand over another, or doing so, because no, I've never tried anything other than Fractal. It just seems to me that FAS gets more negativity than the other 3 main brands, and from what I can gather, other than the UI complaints, that negativity doesn't seem justified. That's it.

It's my opinion, and I don't want to get in a debate over this, so that's all I wanted to mention.

I'm not as great as some are at getting their point across.

My post was never about me being qualified to recommend one brand over another, or doing so, because no, I've never tried anything other than Fractal. It just seems to me that FAS gets more negativity than the other 3 main brands, and from what I can gather, other than the UI complaints, that negativity doesn't seem justified. That's it.

It's my opinion, and I don't want to get in a debate over this, so that's all I wanted to mention.
My point is - perhaps had you tried another, your view would be “dude, this thing sounds so good and is so much easier to use, why was I bothering with the Axe III?” Maybe not, but if you haven’t tried anything other than an Axe III, of course you don’t understand why others might not find it worth it.

I see a correlation..... :giggle:

I don’t. I have (in order of acquisition) a GSP1101, Kemper power rack, GT1000, Helix floor, FM3, Axe FX 3, and FM9. Fractal has always gotten more than its share of bashing, but I suspect that it’s more from people with no experience with the products than actual owners/prior owners. I say this because they all follow the same script.

The UI thing is overrated IMO. It’s an incredibly comprehensive system that can do all kinds of crazy shit if you want it to. I was just working on a track in my DAW with ~50 tracks and all sorts of routing and bussing and automation. Makes the Fractal UI look like nothing. If there was a form factor like the Helix from the company I’d already own one.

I don’t. I have (in order of acquisition) a GSP1101, Kemper power rack, GT1000, Helix floor, FM3, Axe FX 3, and FM9. Fractal has always gotten more than its share of bashing, but I suspect that it’s more from people with no experience with the products than actual owners/prior owners. I say this because they all follow the same script.
Think Season 2 GIF by NBC

from looking at vids it seems the gui is less then ideal for most of todays "used to smart phone screen" users. I hope fractal revamps its gui too to be more up to date.I mean they have the modeling and effects down.

Cater to the bottom-feeders. What could go wrong?? :idk
I don’t think having a more, uh, modern interface would hurt anything. If there was a toggle for the full UI and a dummy-proof touchscreen UI with all the extra shit tucked away they’d probably move a few more units. As we’ve seen from recent events, just putting pretty pictures on the screen will have people convinced something sounds great even when it’s dookie. Imagine if it actually sounded great, too.

This post reads exactly like someone that has experienced most of this gear from YouTube videos

I agree with him and I've experienced most of this gear first hand, e.g.; smart phones, touch screen computers, appliances, the Quad Cortex, one of the Headrush units, and other hardware. Interactive displays are everywhere cause people love them.

from looking at vids it seems the gui is less then ideal for most of todays "used to smart phone screen" users. I hope fractal revamps its gui too to be more up to date.I mean they have the modeling and effects down.
yea thats true.I havent played one yet. I have played a helix a headrush a kemper and a tmp but not the fractal. Fractal gui/mentality reminds me alot of roland or yamaha synths vs korg synths gui's. More technical and a specific persons type of gui. Like a tech writers style.

I’m hesitant to use the logical fallacy that is “let’s see you do better” (mainly because it’s horrendously overused at TOP) but I’d love to see a mockup of what a UI for Fractal would be, that includes both the breadth of flexibility AND ease of use.

And what is “ease of use”? It’s different than “intuitive”.

Yeah, the TMP is super easy in a Fisher-Price My First Modeler way. But it doesn’t remotely have the flexibility Fractal does. And that’s okay, not everyone’s looking for that. But it also doesn’t mean FAS deserves the ire over it either.

Back