How do you record your modeler?

sashimi

Groupie
Do you use your modeler as an interface? Plug the analog outputs of your modeler into a separate interface? Skip the modeling hardware and just use plugins?

Whatever you do, why do you prefer it for recording? Do you like committing to your tones on the way in? Like being able to tweak them afterward by using plugins instead? Does saving an ad/da conversion stage make using the hardware as an interface worthwhile? Do you record a DI for reamping?

I have the analog outs going into my recording interface , and use the direct monitoring the interface , so no latency.
But when I open Logic to record I use the USB out from the Axe.

I never reamp.

I use the AxeFx as my audio interface and have my base DAW template configured to record the processed track and a DI. I use plugins on my bass DI 99% of the time. I still use guitar plugins occasionally since they are the vastly superior option recording, but until Fractal throws their modeling in plug form we’re caught in limbo occasionally having to re-amp, (which is a pain in the ass, since you have to flip your IO multiple times in the process) or just settling on whatever tone was dialed in originally because I don’t want to re-track or re-amp.

I’m a lazy fuck, use my AxeFX as my interface and record everything via USB. The only time I record DI’s are for bass.

I used to track DI’s for everything, but managing just the DI’s became either a chore or a route to option paralysis. Sometimes I’d punch in and forget to track the DI and really, I just stopped thinking in terms of “I can change this later” because I wanted to become more confident in making a choice going into something.

There’s only been 1-2x I’ve thought after, “Shit, I really wish I had the DI for this”, at this point I tend to think of everything I don’t pull off on what I’m working on as “I’ll get it on the next one”

I opened an old session from 4 years ago a couple weeks ago, there was like 12 tracks of re-amped guitars and I can only imagine I sat there for 3 days listening to different high gain amps thinking I was getting that much closer to what I ‘wanted’, but what I wanted was a finished song. :ROFLMAO:

I’ve tried it all. 90% of the time using plugins, mostly helix native and s-gear. But I do hook the hx stomp up as an interface occasionally. I have also done some stuff with a strymon iridium and pedals into my interface. Or I’ll do something weird like pedals into the interface with an IR in the daw once in a while. I am thinking about switching to either using the stomp as an interface or just recording its output with my interface, either way probably with no DI so I can’t go down the analysis rabbit hole. Committing to tones. I feel like plugins are the laziest possible way to go but it works for me and less ad/da.

I'm either using the HX Stomp or a Motu M2 as an interface. I can split the signal at pretty much any position in the signal chain (to record, say, just the stompboxes and add virtual amps later on, or to record anything but cabs, etc.) but usually don't do so anymore.
The only thing I care about is spatial FX which I never record. I'm adding them through a parallel path in Logic so I can still monitor the dry signal with no additional latency.
Works a treat and as I'm using analog pedals as well, this setup is forcing me to at least finish individual tracks once the sound is set up. Which is fantastic for a procrastinator de luxe like me.

Fwiw, ever since I bought the new Macbook, I do as well use amp plugins more often (as I can run the thing at 3.5ms latency all throughout), but I try my best to always only do so when I'm not at my main space (or in case I know a certain sound is only really doable via plugins).

Do you use your modeler as an interface?
Absolutely not. I have dedicated converters for monitoring, and other studio gear. Usually running a modeller as an interface is a nightmare by comparison, but works in a pinch.

Plug the analog outputs of your modeler into a separate interface?
I have all I/O from my axe fx normalled to a patchbay, so all the inputs and outputs run to the converter channels I want them too. If I want to send them somewhere else, I don’t have to reach behind the equipment. I also have reamp boxes and some pedals patched in to the modeller so everything is instantly accessible with minimal fuss (it’s all ready to go). Full flexibility with no downsides.

Skip the modeling hardware and just use plugins?
Despite everything above, mostly yes. I prefer the workflow. It’s easier, I can combine various plugins, change things and finesse. Easier to deal with saving settings and archiving sessions etc too. I don’t think it needs to be one or the other given the amount of cheap and free plugin options these days. Use both to your advantage.

I actually like committing to the sound early, but sometimes i’ll change a part or add something and it’s easier to just have a DI. I don’t have to recall different settings for different parts. Similarly, I might change key or tempo or a bass sound that means the guitar sound needs to adjust slightly now too. I can tweak amp settings or change IR’s without having to reamp a bunch of tracks one by one. It’s almost essentially to try to have something as close to the final sound as you can as it affects the performance and the sound of other things in your production. Make decisions and build on them - at some point you have choose and if you keep deferring them, you end up with an impossible mountain of decisions to make. The only way it works is to build those decisions on the back of previous ones - if nothing is set, then it’s impossible.
Do you record a DI for reamping?
Always, although I don’t have the mindset that I’m going to reamp. It just makes me switch a part of my brain off that makes me think I might have to retrack anyway. I like to record with the idea that the DI is going to cover all bases. Just handy to have too, you never know when you might need it later.

I actually like committing to the sound early, but sometimes i’ll change a part or add something and it’s easier to just have a DI. I don’t have to recall different settings for different parts. Similarly, I might change key or tempo or a bass sound that means the guitar sound needs to adjust slightly now too. I can tweak amp settings or change IR’s without having to reamp a bunch of tracks one by one. It’s almost essentially to try to have something as close to the final sound as you can as it affects the performance and the sound of other things in your production. Make decisions and build on them - at some point you have choose and if you keep deferring them, you end up with an impossible mountain of decisions to make. The only way it works is to build those decisions on the back of previous ones - if nothing is set, then it’s impossible.

100%.

“Commit to the tone” is used in a lot of these discussions implying complete indecision, like going from a deluxe reverb to an uberschall or something, but in practice using plugins just gives you the ability to not get bogged down on the minutiae while tracking. Making a quick move on the tone stack after the fact is simple, or dialing back an effect that sounded great in isolation but overwhelms the mix is a quick and easy process. If one is bogged down by using a plugin they’d probably find something to else to get bogged down on.

Everyone has personal preferences and workflows that work for them, (and none of them are “wrong”) but the value and utility of plugins is sort of beyond debate at this point imo.

I use a PreSonus 1824c rack interface to record all of my modelers.. They are patched into a 16 channel rack mixer . Stereo outs into the Presonus. Presonus usb into my studio DAW..

I have the HX Stomp XL, but I don't like using it as an interface. The latency and converters aren't great. I use a Motu M4 most of the time because it's fast and sounds good. Normally I just record DI and use Helix Native, and on occasion something like TH-U Overloud for certain things. I have used the stomp analog outs to record (not much) and also the Pod Express' out with good results. I like the idea of recording a DI and processed track at the same time, but in practice I don't always do that. I'm ok with committing to a sound and in a lot of ways it frees me up creatively to do that. A lot of times I'll run a boost or gain pedal before DI because I get the sounds I like. I try not to be as nitpicky these days with giving myself too many options.

I’ve always enjoyed recording guitars with my Helix floor. Whatever they’ve got juicing the input on that thing always makes my guitars sound significantly more lively than when I track through my Scarlett.

Similarly I have one of the IK Axe IO boxes with the adjustable impedance and reamp features…sounds killer.

Most of my ITB guitars are Tonex these days. I’m getting stuff there that really is very convincing.

When I used Helix, mostly Stomp, it replaced everything. Audio interface, plugins, monitors… everything. It’s just so convenient to go all in on a hardware modeler. I much preferred that over plugins.

Oh… it didn’t replace monitors, I used the monitors with the Stomp…

Rehearsal space: Helix Floor, stereo line-level 1/4" > Focusrite rack interface > Cubase

Mancave at home: Helix Native in Cubase for recording, Helix Floor for playing, because it really doesn't matter much

The ideal way of doing this would be using the HX Stomp's SPDIF out into my audio interface/converters. I would be able to record wet and dry signals simultaneously by panning them full L/R as dual mono. I would monitor and record the wet signal (L) and reamp the DI (R) later with Helix Native if I needed.

It would make things way easier and more convinient for me but HX Stomp (XL) doesn't have an SPDIF out. That's why I'm waiting for a new Line 6 modeller. Fractal products including FM3 can do that thanks to its digital I/O but they are out of reach for me.

Right now, I just use my Audient interface and Helix Native when playing/recording guitars. The JFET instrument input and converters are quite satisfying for now.

Always through the modeler's USB (Axe-FX III or SY-1000).
Always recording a dry track.
Rarely using plugins specifically for the guitar tracks.

Back