Calibrating Input Level for Plugins

made a video demonstrating Softube at 1V=0dBFS. Pretty sure 99% of people are undergaining these amp sims, which is a shame as the modelling is pretty solid. If you record at 12dBu of headroom, Amp Room doesn't have enough range on the input slider to get to the correct level.

I’m pleased this is getting more discussion now.

I had the pleasure of playing a Diezel Schmidt today expecting to enjoy some amazing crunch tones (which I did), but there was actually lots more gain available in the real amp than I was expecting after playing a Tonex profile in advance. So much so in fact that I can’t actually get the Tonex profile up to those levels of gain even if I drive it to the max using the input knob all the way up (with my interface level at zero - where I always leave it).

I was hoping the amp wouldn’t give me as much gain actually as it has got me seriously considering purchasing it…which I wasn’t expecting as a result of playing the Tonex profile! It could be amp specific I guess.

It would really help if IK could figure out a way of helping users understand the input gain levels, but appreciate it won’t be easy for all the existing profiles made by everyone.
Buy it.

Can you tell me which page? Thanks

Getting a little lost here.

I got the first part down I need -14.39 level for the sine wave 1000hz to come back as 500mv. (the level adjustment in the free VST)

The next part is where I'm getting lost at I plug in the output into the input and what adjustments do I need to do?

When I strum with Hi-Z I'm barley at 1/4 of the bar on Motu m4

I got the first part down I need -14.39 level for the sine wave 1000hz to come back as 500mv. (the level adjustment in the free VST)

The next part is where I'm getting lost at I plug in the output into the input and what adjustments do I need to do?

What are you trying to work out? The max input headroom?

If you have your 500mV 1000hz sine wave ready, now plug that into your instrument input of choice and look at your input metering to see what dBFS level it is.

You can have that interface gain anywhere you like, but at 0 is easy for recall and should provide a reasonable input level. From memory, the MOTU inputs are 16dBu

What are you trying to work out? The max input headroom?

If you have your 500mV 1000hz sine wave ready, now plug that into your instrument input of choice and look at your input metering to see what dBFS level it is.

You can have that interface gain anywhere you like, but at 0 is easy for recall and should provide a reasonable input level. From memory, the MOTU inputs are 16dBu

edit:

Sine is generated at -14.37 peak DAW volume

input when I loop output -23.8 peak DAW volume

Last edited:

The M4 has 16dBu input headroom on it's instrument input, at 0 gain on the interface. Knowing that, adjust input in the plugins accordingly, see spec sheet from mirror profiles. Don't mind the input meter bar on the interface as you compensate for input gain on the plugin.

Back