Here comes Kemper. Bye Felicias

Nice to see you are not playing the disability card.

I do not know for a fact that he is. I just noticed that the way he communicates suggests PERHAPS he is.

Many people who have high functioning autism have obsessive special interests, and are indeed experts (though NOT infallible, in their area of interest.)

I don’t excuse mean spirited behavior for anyone.

But mean spirited is different that stating that you are correct and someone else is wrong. This is often the case with anyone who assumes that they know EVERYTHING about a certain subject.

I don’t use my autism as an excuse to annoy people or “get away with poor social behaviors.”

I tell people because I am literally incapable of knowing at times what questions or comments are appropriate.

Some examples:

1. A random stranger asks me, “How much money do you make?” I’ll tell them exactly how much, because to me, it’s like saying I’m 5’11. Why wouldn’t I tell them.

2. The cliched question from my wife, “Do you like my outfit?” I’ll respond with EXACTLY what I think, “Yes. It accentuates your figure,” or “No. that color against your skin looks weird.”

3. Someone asks me, “Are low carb diets a fad?” I’ll reply, “No. though they have become mainstream ideas, initially ketogenic diets were designed to treat epilepsy in children.”

4. Someone asks me, “What do you think of the show 3 1/2 Men?” I’ll say, “a show which depicts a loveable woman-hopping alcoholic with few redeeming features and questionable comedic writing is a poor use of time to watch.”

(No offense to loveable alcoholics and men who enjoy frequent sexual experiences with many women.)

It took my wife training me social skills over DECADES to realize that my comments aren’t always socially acceptable and could be offensive to people.

If the forum poster I referenced has no one to teach them tact and social skills, AND is autistic, then I’m only offering an explanation about those behaviors, not “giving them a pass.”

Having autism is not a “say whatever you want free of criticism card”; it is in fact a life long struggle for many.

Well, that’s my two cents.

I’m fine if you disagree.

:)
My point really is, I don't like it when people using mental illness, mental health, or disability in order to facilitate being the biggest wanker in the room. I've seen it too many times, particularly on the internet, to not have to pipe up about it.

My comment wasn't an insult towards people with autism. I have every respect for them. I often wonder if I may have some sort of neurodivergence as well, but I've never been tested.

I agree with you. It isn't and shouldn't be a pass-card. But so many people these days treat it as so - when they're often self diagnosed and live in an echochamber of cyclical validation.

I never really see him step out of that domain on forums though. Maybe I just missed it? Seems like 90%+ of what he talks about is musical acoustics, speakers, and IRs.

He’s usually sharing measurable scientific facts, and the people arguing with him are usually sharing subjective opinions and are apparently unable to tell the difference between those two things.

Maybe it makes me a c**t too, but I happen to have an appreciation for people who invest years to master something, and then hold to the facts and their mastery of them even/especially in the face of incompetent people on the internet who act as experts when they actually know very little about the thing they’re blathering on about. One of the great things about the internet is occasionally someone who has mastered something shares some useful information with people for free. The downside of the internet is that the expert who freely shares really valuable info usually gets shouted down by a bunch of wannabe internet experts. I see the same things in other hobbies I have.

Ok I’m done here, apparently I’m bored at the moment there’s really no reason at all for me to be talking about this lol.

D

100% this. If we had awards on the forum, I'd give you one and nominate you for post of the day.

25b8eb65e82c78d1709ebe617a755109.jpg

Unless someone has come out personally and revealed his/her own status regarding spectrum, autism, anything like that, I don’t see how it helps to speculate on a public forum about any individual’s puzzling (diplomatic) behavior. That said, in even the most pronounced examples of behavior related to autism that I’ve witnessed among the children of close friends, there has always been a heartwarming flip side to those kids, basically an undeniable and winning embodiment of pure love.

Worth a watch.
One thing he missed is he didn't read Kemper's patent which has similar wording.

I think the whole infringement thing is silly and I highly doubt it will have the legs go to court. Could be wrong but doubt it. I think Fractal has a lot more better things to do with their time than that nonsense but not shocking the forum drama from that camp.

I think the whole infringement thing is silly and I highly doubt it will have the legs go to court. Could be wrong but doubt it. I think Fractal has a lot more better things to do with their time than that nonsense but not shocking the forum drama from that camp.

I love my FM3. But if Fractal sues Kemper I will sell it and never look back. It would be an incredibly poor look from a company who's niche is all about copying the sound of existing devices. And really...first to market should carry way more weight here than conceptual patent.

I love my FM3. But if Fractal sues Kemper I will sell it and never look back. It would be an incredibly poor look from a company whose niche is all about copying the sound of existing devices. And really...first to market should carry way more weight here than conceptual patent.
Yeah Fractal has a habit of having a thin skinned petty attitude IMHO but YMMV. Cue the “You don’t even own a Fractal and you always be hating” Fractal apologists.

Personally all I want from a manufacturer is to build the best gear they can and let gear speak for itself and this petty “they are infringing on my patent” drama is just stupid.

Last edited:
I've been working as an engineer in the aerospace simulation, modeling, and architecture discipline for 30 years, and I don't believe either Kemper or Fractal patents would withstand any serious challenge.

The techniques they describe are not novel solutions. The only novelty is applying them to the guitar amplifier domain.

Good for both companies that there are no patent police. Patents are handled through civil courts, and challenging or defending a patent is very expensive.

IMHO, the "patent war" is more about marketing than enforceability.

I think both companies make excellent products & I hope that both keep doing so.

I think if there is a case to be made; then certainly it should be made. In any situation like this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I know this space is always full of strong reactions so I get really every direction of this conversation. we all know there's only really one Felicia in this conversation anyway :sofa

When Cliff wrote that patent comment, I did think to myself "okay Drew.... you say a lot of shit online... but I wouldn't have said that!" - it's just given fodder for the HW's of the world, not really all that useful in the grand scheme of things.

Back