Here comes Kemper. Bye Felicias

Karen GIF

new kemper beta is out.

Because of the audio interface features, ability to refine after a capture was made, ability to make a capture controlling the Kemper from Rig Manager, Storefront for rig packs, I really do have a hunch that these things will eventually come:

- a plugin version of kemper
- ability to train the modelling offline from the HW kemper, and the HW being the device to play back newer models.

Could be wrong of course, but to achieve these then the recent updates would need to be in place already

Last edited:
Here's their forum announcement:

We have just published OS 9.0.0 with the following new features:

Audio
added: USB Audio Class Compliant (for Windows(R) PCs Windows(R) 10 Build 1703 or higher required)
added: Return inputs as Output Source for S/PDIF and USB Audio

User Interface
added: control of PROFILING process via Rig Manager
added: possibility to refine even after storing new PROFILE
changed: naming of Output Source Git... to DI...

Proprietary USB audio drivers are planned for a future release.

Please refer to the Addendum manual included in this update package for detailed descriptions of new features!

Rig Manager 3.4.28 for Windows(R)/macOS(R) and Rig Manager 1.3.8 for iOS(R) required!

Rig Manager 3.4.28 requires at least Windows(R) 10 or macOS(R) 10.14.

Kemper plug-in would be smart. They already have the algorithms and the user base. Would be easy money.
If a pluging were to happen I would imagine it would only integrate control of the profiler inside the daw. I honestly don't expect this to happen.

I would love to be wrong on this but as far as I know the code it written specifically for the chips in the Kemper.

I've installed the new Rig Manager Beta and the Profiler OS Beta. 1st time the Profiler update failed, power cycled my toaster and all went fine the 2nd time. This isn't unprecedented, lol.

I'm seeing a new USB page in the Output settings with reamp, DAW volume, etc. Not sure how it works when they stated USB drivers are coming soon, no time to mess with yet.

I've installed the new Rig Manager Beta and the Profiler OS Beta. 1st time the Profiler update failed, power cycled my toaster and all went fine the 2nd time. This isn't unprecedented, lol.

I'm seeing a new USB page in the Output settings with reamp, DAW volume, etc. Not sure how it works when they stated USB drivers are coming soon, no time to mess with yet.
It is class complaint for now.

Made a profile using Rig Manager, was really SO much nicer to use. Quicker for me to A/B and adjust deep paramters with more confidence than using the HW. After making tons of ToneX and NAM models, its really nice to have the faster reamping/training times, and you can get pretty damn close with the fine adjustments.

Curious to try the liquid stuff even more now, when that arrives.

I would love to be wrong on this but as far as I know the code it written specifically for the chips in the Kemper.
I have no idea here, but I know with things like UAD, they write it on computer's first, then when its complete it gets ported to their own DSP. May not be the case with Kemper

I have no idea here, but I know with things like UAD, they write it on computer's first, then when its complete it gets ported to their own DSP. May not be the case with Kemper
If I remember correctly, this was MANY years ago, CK stated the amount of work to convert the code would be more that rewriting.

Heh, the USB audio is cool, once you realize that the weird sounds coming out of your Kemper are due to you reading an online newspaper with "page turning" sounds. I was like, wtf?! - at first, then "duh". Won't need to use my interface to route backing tracks anymore, w00t.

I'm just going to say it, I think patenting basic ass EQ or machine learning in regard to amp modeling in an effort to capitalize and/or prevent progress from other companies is sleazy.

edit: That includes DRM and control of ownership of digital goods after they have been purchased.

Open source will make all your asses obsolete.

Movie GIF

Last edited:
I'm just going to say it, I think patenting basic ass EQ or machine learning in regard to amp modeling in an effort to capitalize and/or prevent progress from other companies is sleazy.

edit: That includes DRM and control of ownership of digital goods after they have been purchased.

Open source will make all your asses obsolete.

Movie GIF
So guys like Justin York shouldn't be able to stipulate that, as apart of your EULA, you will not share his work for free on the internet?

So guys like Justin York shouldn't be able to stipulate that, as apart of your EULA, you will not share his work for free on the internet?

There's a difference here. Justin is not patenting how to make IRs.

Justin is charging for the work that he's done and wanting to be fairly paid for his work; the EULA is an attempt to stop people giving away the fruits of his work for free because digital products are easy to duplicate. I don't think that's unreasonable, is it?

Someone else is still allowed to use similar techniques to also produce similar work and their own IRs, rather than simply copying the result of Justin's work.

To put it another way: The recipe for Apple Pie is freely available, or easy to work out if you don't have it; I can make it myself if I like. But I still expect to pay a baker for making a pie for me - to compensate them for their time, labour, baking equipment and cost of ingredients.

Last edited:
No, guys like NDSP should not stipulate York's EULA, which is what they are doing, that was an addition to the 'sleazy' part.
I know that IRs are licensed to me and I do not actually own them, but the MODELER itself has no business whatsoever enforcing this.
I thought I'll edit that in to have another perspective on how greedily protective this industry can be to go along with patenting basic EQ.
The 'open source' part was to show that no matter how protective the industry is, people will always find an alternative way if the idea is good.

Back