Helix Talk

So here’s my stupid helix realization moment for the week…

I’m finally getting around to setting up some non-Marshall patches to give me some more options. Had my fender sound close, but was still fighting something in the high end. I couldn’t get the bright sparkle I wanted without taking the treble high enough that this one frequency was poking out too much when playing higher notes on the bridge pickup. Needed to bring the treble control down to kill that, but then it didn’t quite have the sparkle I wanted.

I see the presence control at its default zero since the amp doesn’t really have one. I’ve been ignoring it the entire time because of that. Of course that never stopped me from tweaking the mid control that doesn’t exist as a knob either…. I still play around with the amp and cab more without touching the presence control, idiot…. Then I put things back the way they were and realize they probably put the presence control there because it’s useful even though it isn’t accurate and add a touch of presence. And there was exactly the tone I was looking for the whole time…

Which made me wonder if there were people that wished a deluxe had a presence control. I googled it. Spoiler: people add them.

Don’t be like me and ignore useful controls that don’t exist on the original…

On the upside, I’ve now got a couple killer fender and vox kitchen sink presets to give me some cool new options. Marshall is probably always going to be home for me, but I forgot how much I enjoy those other sounds and how they take my playing in other directions.

D

I found the same thing with the HX Princeton model - it needed a touch of presence to add both mojo and sparkle.

It took me a year to discover this :facepalm

@Digital Igloo any chance there is a reason that the bypass footswitch assignment cant be made independent of snapshots? I want to use a pedal only if I plug in a strat but the rest of the snapshot parameters can change. I only use that pedal for helping the gain match between guitars.

@Digital Igloo any chance there is a reason that the bypass footswitch assignment cant be made independent of snapshots? I want to use a pedal only if I plug in a strat but the rest of the snapshot parameters can change. I only use that pedal for helping the gain match between guitars.
I think I understand this? You can disable snapshot control over bypass on a per-block basis: Select the block, press ACTION, and turn Knob 5 (Snapshot Bypass) off.

@Digital Igloo

It looks and sounds like both Das Benzin models are ~8dB quieter than the rest of the amps, talking about final clean compensation Channel volume.
A quick test with Master and Channel volumes both at 10, and you'll see the missing 8db compared to any of the high gain amps.
Same with both Das Benzin Preamp models, they are 8db quieter than the rest of the high gain preamps.

Can you please pass this to Ben for checking?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I went out and bought an external pitch pedal to replace the one in Helix, since I couldn;t really afford the Poly Capo DSP, but honestly, with the latency and whatever, it was better just to use the simple pitch on helix and now the pedal in my bass player's rig instead.

Any hope I could get rid of my synth pedal with a new Helix poly synth block?

Question, is there a reason why HX edit does not have meters like Native?
seems might be a handy tool/feature
:idk

Question, is there a reason why HX edit does not have meters like Native?
seems might be a handy tool/feature
:idk
Edit isn't handling any incoming audio, just an interface for the on-screen controls. Native as a plug in handles audio so it can have meters and a tuner

We just lost power at my house. I'm so glad I didn't wait to record this week's vocals today!

One thing is still on...
20230117_151727.jpg

Hmmm time for the Next Gen Platform (notice i did not name it anything) :D

When Helix 2™ is brought up I picture an e-waste landfill with mountains of deprecated 'old' Helix/HX units. :censored:

In my opinion Helix/HX hardware is as mature as guitar processor goes sans gimmicks, considering new units being released that follow the same design. It is also powerful enough to pass the diminishing returns point in terms of model accuracy.

What do I want as an existing customer?
More content, fix existing content, polish the old 'good enough' edges.

What do I want as a potential customer?
Replace a lot of quality analog gear knowing it delivers the goods without hesitation or outdated prejudice about digital modelers.

Back