Helix Talk

In my opinion Helix/HX hardware is as mature as guitar processor goes sans gimmicks, considering new units being released that follow the same design.

Hm. In my opinion there's still loads of room for improvements on the hardware side of things (which obviously would need to be accompanied by the software).

No thanks. I guess that will render Helix abandonware, and considering the state of the world next generation of modelers will be something like 5000€.

Not necessarily. Imagine an at least sort of "modular", stackable system. The core unit would only feature the minimum stuff for it to make some sense in standalone mode, anything else could be expandable. And there should be absolutely nothing too fancy onboard.

1) Connectivity. Need some more I/Os? Connect an additional breakout box to a toslink I/O.

2) Switchability. Need more than the, say, basic 3 switches of the main unit? Connect your additional strip of switches. Or two.

3a) Controlability. Need more knobs on the unit? See (2).

3b) Controlability. Ditch all fancy onboard screens, especially touch screens. Give me a simple, great to read under all lightning conditions, monochrome screen that is super rugged. Who needs a tablet alike screen on the floor, exposed to stage divers, drunken singers and what not? And who needs a touch screen just there? Crawling on the floor to adjust things never makes you look smart, so don't even waste your time and my money for that kinda stuff. Instead, we need mobile platform editors. With those, you have a choice of size, price and placement - it doesn't get any better, really. If you really wanted, well, mount your iPad on your pedalboard - but nobody would do that, simply because (see above) it's the last place on earth where you wanted to operate a rather delicate touch screen.

With such a scalable system, you'd only have to shell out a bigger amount of money for the initial unit.
Ok, admittedly, within such a system, there'd be no room for 7 iterations of what is basically the same thing (in the case of Line 6: Floor, LT, Rack, Stomp, Stomp XL, HXFX, Pod Go) but possibly just 2-3 (Floor, Floor "basic" (less CPU juice perhaps) and desk/rack), but on the upside, that'd also mean less development and support costs.
The main unit would possibly be comparable to a GT-1000 Core in size and functionality. Then add to it as you see fit.

Last edited:
Sounds awful to be honest

Seriously, it's all a matter of the way in which things would be "stackable". I mean, in addtion to 3rd partys (such as Morningstar), Line 6 could come up with their own system which would make things as easy (and tidy) as dealing with a LEGO kit. Unscrew protection plate, place switch extension unit until you hear a "click", fix securing screws, done.
But well, I already know that quite some people would not like such a system - but I'm absolutely sure plenty of others would just drool about it (myself included).

I actually would love to see a more advanced plugin only version. Totally makes sense to have what exists at the moment, where there is parity across HW and software, and it also makes sense to have the software only benefits of a simpler product in Metallurgy. If Metallurgy is the "simple" version of Helix in software (not the best analogy but lets go with it), then I'd love an advanced one that allows you to go deeper into the Helix modelling, in a way that you'd only want to do when sat in front of a computer.

Something more akin to the Fractal experience where you can adjust impedance loads or tweak the circuits of the amps. I wouldn't want to go that complex on a HW unit and the current compromises are pretty spot on for tone/not being overwhelmed.

I actually would love to see a more advanced plugin only version.

I perfectly understand that wish (and hence I will not say anything against it), but it might stir up some trouble among those mainly using the hardware. Kinda like "Boohoo, see, Line 6 can do all that stuff - why don't we get it on our shiny hardware boxes?"
Still, I understand any such wishes.
But - sorta like the opposite - I'd also like to see some simpler versions of the stuff included in HX Native. If I, say, only need a delay, it's pretty much overkill to instanciate a fullblown version of HXN. I'd really love being able to call up all of the FX separately (or maybe in some sort of sub-category plugins, like all modulations in one plugin, all delays, etc.).

More Powerful Chips for high DSP Horsepower, Expandable Memory, Separate EXP pedal
Redesigned GUI for HX edit, yes eye candy is nice and yes to Knobs
Touchscreen and Wi-Fi for the Gigging musician

I'd love to have something like a combination of a tablet and a small-ish knob-strip (likely below it) on a music stand next to me. Would serve editing purposes as well as things such as realtime tweaking maneuvers. Like, say, holding some chord and then sending it into delay feedback mayhem. Or even like using the tablet as a sort of X/Y chaos pad.

More instances of Poly Capo
May I ask for what kinda things you'd need that?
More instances of Poly Capo, using ANY amp I want

I use poly capo to make my 12 string sounds, but also sometimes need it for downtuning

Basically ( and lets be honest, with today's chips, the podgo realistically should MURDER the helix in terms of DSP power, but I realize what a marketing slap in the face that would be), I'd love to be able to populate every single plugin block on all four paths with the most DSP hungry plugin. We certainly have the chip power to do it (Helix is 8 years old right?) I would love to see some sort of hack daughterboard or something to up the DSP on the existing helix units...I know there's slim chance, but aside from that I really think this thing is perfect and would be happy for another 20 years

More instances of Poly Capo, using ANY amp I want

I use poly capo to make my 12 string sounds, but also sometimes need it for downtuning

Ok, I see (and perfectly understand).

For me, the reason my patches were always maxed out was that I only ever used one single patch for each of my gigs, simply because due to the nature of most of my jobs I need to be able to quickly dial in some (partially massive) global changes during soundcheck (and even do some finetuning during the first few tunes).
This could've easily been cured with the introduction of "global blocks" (as to be found in the Axe FX, the GT-1000 and partially the KPA), with such a functionality I simply would've distributed the workload between different patches.
The way I did it had me running into some limits all the time (lack of CPU power but, even more so, lack of switches).
Has been one of the main reasons for me to scale down to an HX Stomp (which I'm now using just for delays and reverbs, the modeling is distributed to other units).
I'm still trying to lobby for global blocks, though. After all, they may find their way into the next incarnation of whatever it might be called - and I certainly want an all-in-one box again (at least for some gigs).

The HX Modular idea is one that I've fawned over for a little while now. Plug your desktop module into your "live" controller modules and go play your gig. Exp on left or right side, or none at all

Nice to hear from you @Sascha Franck

The HX Modular idea is one that I've fawned over for a little while now. Plug your desktop module into your "live" controller modules and go play your gig. Exp on left or right side, or none at all

Yeah, something like that.
For me personally, I'd like the idea of being able to come up with a setup just after my taste. Astonishingly enough, that's not possible with either of the current HX family offerings - even if there's 7 of them. The Floor and LT are too huge for some things (backpack, gigbag and suitcase unfriendly) and not exactly great pedalboard centrals, either (unless you want the heaviest pedalboard on earth), the Rack is, well, a rack (no-go for me), the Stomps are underpowered for what I'd like to have (or missing global blocks, pick your poison).
On the contrary, the GT-1000 Core would pretty much fit most things I wanted (and I only decided to get a Stomp instead when scaling down from a Floor because I'm quite familiar with the HX ecosystem already, plus there's a certain small "loyality spot" somewhere inside me). Still thinking about one for the main board (but keeping the Stomp as a separate grab'n'go and home dwelling unit).

Back