Helix Talk

Might give this a go, but for tonight's rehearsal probably will still roll with the DR. I also just ordered a creamback :bag

this gigs not for 3 weeks so ideally I'd like to just leave something at their spot til show time. Have a jawa gig next week that I'm using the 1x12 for and possibly the evh too and I don't really feel like bringing those back and forth this week, afterall, guitar/DR/ pedalboard is only :poop: one trip :poop:

but after that I'll take the temperature of where I'm at lol

ehhh

not ready/wanting to do that at this time :LOL:

Which creamback? The M65 or H75?

Which creamback? The M65 or H75?

I decided to just go with the M65... by all accounts it sounds like those are "smoother" vs "more aggressive/more sizzle"... its still going in a vintage deluxe reverb afterall :LOL:

I've been wanting to have a go at creambacks for a while. depending how I like this one might also try some of the h75s in my 2x12 currently loaded with T75s for my chugging shenanigans

I decided to just go with the M65... by all accounts it sounds like those are "smoother" vs "more aggressive/more sizzle"... its still going in a vintage deluxe reverb afterall :LOL:

I've been wanting to have a go at creambacks for a while. depending how I like this one might also try some of the h75s in my 2x12 currently loaded with T75s for my chugging shenanigans

I'm a big fan of the H75, works really well paired with a v30.

Might give this a go, but for tonight's rehearsal probably will still roll with the DR. I also just ordered a creamback :bag

this gigs not for 3 weeks so ideally I'd like to just leave something at their spot til show time. Have a jawa gig next week that I'm using the 1x12 for and possibly the evh too and I don't really feel like bringing those back and forth this week, afterall, guitar/DR/ pedalboard is only :poop: one trip :poop:

but after that I'll take the temperature of where I'm at lol

ehhh

not ready/wanting to do that at this time :LOL:
This sounds like a solid plan (y)

My Invective cab had that pairing and it was awesome. I’m debating retrofitting one of Friedman cabs like this, swapping the GB’s for H75’s. (Though I’m also Redback curious lol)

I had a custom 2x12 by Zilla cabs in the UK with a H75 and V30. It went in the big gear self off I had to raise funds to move my family back to N Ireland. I'd love another one for my Marshall, that combo would sound great with a JVM.

I've never used a redback and don't really know anything about them tbh.

For the sake of science I just plugged my DR into my EVH 2x12 (H30 speakers) damn what a difference that made lol. Sounded soooo much better with everything. All my dirt models and preamp models sounded great, then I tried the full amp instead of just pre and it sounded even better

Know I’m dejectedly plugging back into this dumb ass Jensen and packing up :cry:

Glad impulsively bought a new speaker for this amp lol

(I know it still won’t be the same as a closed back 2x12 but anything beats that Jensen)

For the sake of science I just plugged my DR into my EVH 2x12 (H30 speakers) damn what a difference that made lol. Sounded soooo much better with everything. All my dirt models and preamp models sounded great, then I tried the full amp instead of just pre and it sounded even better

Know I’m dejectedly plugging back into this dumb ass Jensen and packing up :cry:

Glad impulsively bought a new speaker for this amp lol

(I know it still won’t be the same as a closed back 2x12 but anything beats that Jensen)

Let us know how you get on at the rehearsal.

Let us know how you get on at the rehearsal.

Definitely better in the mix (I guess an area where that honky mid range comes in handy) but still just kind of an unpleasant character. Ironically gain sounds sounded better than cleans in the mix. Have my patch set up with Timmy for light boost, ocd for gainer lead and the oranger rockerverb for shred mode

Not second guessing ordering the cream back at all thoigh lol. Should be here Sunday

Question - is unity gain on dirts and amps consistent across models or does it vary from model to model? And if so is there a cheat sheet? Was having some leveling issues. Their rehearsal space is a fully pa equipped stage inside of a barn, need to get some better consistency there when engaging gain stages

However, many years ago I learned that pretty much all traditional Fender amps sound way better when you hit their input pretty hard. Even seems to tame some of the annoying boxyness of whatever strange speakers Fender decided to use. Of course you lose 100% clean sounds that way and you need to be careful with the good old reverb, but others than that I enjoyed a blackface Twin I used to play for a whole bunch of gigs a whole lot more than without that little trick.
Actually I have never had any important experience with Twin type amps, so I didn't know this very interesting tip.
Generally I am even against pushing the amp input with volume boost from the pedals in front, because most times I don't love the results: harsh or fuzzy sound, imho.
I started reconsidering my ideas after seeing that Andy Timmons (with his fantastic guitar sound) just does that: he hits the amp input with his Carl Martin compressor used more as a boost than a real compressor. But Andy uses a Lonestar Classic clean channel, that is basically (as far as I know) rather similar to Fender Twin...

Generally I am even against pushing the amp input with volume boost from the pedals in front, because most times I don't love the results: harsh or fuzzy sound, imho.

Yeah, exactly my experience. But then we were touring with a canadian band and their guitarist and me had to share a rental BF Twin. When the tour started it was all horrible for me because the amp sounded just bad for what I needed (kinda like typical rocksounds). Just that it sounded glorious with his stuff. So I was wondering what he was doing - and the only thing making a true difference was an always on boost at the end of his pedalboard (unfortunately, that's pretty much decades ago, so I don't remember which boost it was but it was just a boost with a separate treble boosting option that he had dialed in a little). For all other shows I just borrowed that very booster and have been perfectly happy.
The same trick even worked quite nicely with my red-knob 90s "The Twin" which had the dreaded "Fender Design" speakers in (no idea who actually made them, but these are by far the worst speakers I ever played through). Never sounded too great but at least it went from horrible to usable.
Sidenote: Later on, when I really learned more about speakers and how much they are important especially for pedal platform amps, I exchanged the ones in the Fender in favour of a V30 and a Peavey Sheffield - which turned the amp into the most excellent pedal platform ever. Took me just over a decade to realize...

Sidenote: Later on, when I really learned more about speakers and how much they are important especially for pedal platform amps, I exchanged the ones in the Fender in favour of a V30 and a Peavey Sheffield - which turned the amp into the most excellent pedal platform ever. Took me just over a decade to realize...
I played with a guy who used a Peavey Bandit, with the Sheffield speaker, to this day, still one of the best amps I've ever heard.

Bandits, as much fun as people make of them, are pretty decent pedal platforms.
Yup. And although their "cheap" reputation, Peavey used good and sturdy parts back in the day.

Many of their old solid-state amps use the same or a very similar preamp as the "sought-after" Decade model (not as crazy anymore, but there was a peak thanks to QOTSA fans), which was once a 20$ flea market amp.

EDIT: That reminds me... When one of my LAB Series L5's had to see a tech, one blown speaker was replaced with a Peavey XXX 12" that the tech had laying around. Turns out it adds to the remaining stock speaker nicely, since the Peavey sounds a bit shrill/trebly, and the stock Rola/Celestion sounds a bit muffled. Together, they make the amp sound very balanced and "lively".

Tbh never heard a bad thing about a bandit
1000067231.gif

Back