Helix Talk

Just came back to the Matchstick after a long hiatus. It was like a breath of fresh air. Piano-like chiminess with the single coils.
Well Done Penguin GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Anybody know if it's possible to buy replacement knobs for a hx stomp? I've broken the middle one under the screen. It all works fine it's just the knob itself that's broken.

Is it just me or does the Fullerton rock harder than the high-gain amps? Turn the gains up and this thing roars! Right now I'm using Fullerton Nrm with the bright gain on full, this softens the normal gain allowing you to turn it up further for a fuller sound with tonnes of midrange and break-up. The Fullerton 112 cab works surprisingly well for high-gain too.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does the Fullerton rock harder than the high-gain amps? Turn the gains up and this thing roars! Right now I'm using Fullerton Nrm with the bright gain on full, this softens the normal gain allowing you to turn it up further for a fuller sound with tonnes of midrange and break-up. The Fullerton 112 cab works surprisingly well for high-gain too.

Yeah, Fullerton jumped is brilliant. So is that voltage queen amp if you like 6v6 tones (which I do)

Not sure if you’ve had personal experience with a 5e3, but they can be surprisingly aggressive when you get the volume up.

The Fullerton might be my favorite 5e3 model, and maps out to pretty closely match how my lowly mojotone 5e3 responds at various settings.

There’s a crazy gated fuzz thing you can get if you plug into the bright channel and crank both volumes all the way up. It cleans up like a fuzz face.

Not sure if you’ve had personal experience with a 5e3, but they can be surprisingly aggressive when you get the volume up.

The Fullerton might be my favorite 5e3 model, and maps out to pretty closely match how my lowly mojotone 5e3 responds at various settings.

There’s a crazy gated fuzz thing you can get if you plug into the bright channel and crank both volumes all the way up. It cleans up like a fuzz face.
Oh cool! thanks for pointing out the Mojotone! No I've never tried a real 5e3 before. I'm based in Ireland so there aren't many tweed-vintage Fender amps in circulation here compared to the US, lots of old Marshalls and Voxes from England though!

Yeah the way the two volumes/gains interact is beautiful, I've arrived at 8.5 on normal and 8.2 on bright which has a lot of body and growl, but still cleans up when I roll down the volume knob.

I've recently gone on a small tube amp journey as much as I love my Helix. I'm still surprised and impressed about how much volume and tone can come out of a good 112, and I'd seriously consider a Mojotone clone in the future. The only problem is I'd want two for stereo! :D

Last edited:
Back