Helix Talk

Little titbit about Helix, and The other unit™.
Timestamp:

He's not wrong. If it's just dialing in tones; grabbing a FM whatever is super easy. Setting up switching is another story. The HX is super easy in every regard provided you have an amp that trips your trigger. And at this point, there's something in there that everyone can grab on to I'd think.

He's not wrong. If it's just dialing in tones; grabbing a FM whatever is super easy. Setting up switching is another story. The HX is super easy in every regard provided you have an amp that trips your trigger. And at this point, there's something in there that everyone can grab on to I'd think.

I think all this is only valid for the Floor and LT units. IMO the Stomps don't offer all too great on-unit-editing for a variety of reasons.

I think all this is only valid for the Floor and LT units. IMO the Stomps don't offer all too great on-unit-editing for a variety of reasons.

It's all entirely subjective of course and my opinion is no more (or less!) valid than yours, but I think that editing on the Stomp is, in some ways, actually easier than on the full-sized units, due to the comparative lack of options (e.g lesser number of inputs and outputs, single DSP path etc).

big fan of jason and his channel, lots of thorough content and information. that said, this one is a total car crash and has the old youtube cliche of calling something scientific that has tremendous flaws.

The SC20 sounds like ass here, and really he should have first used the Helix model to validate roughly what his amp should sound like. If the difference is that big then it should be a red flag that something is wrong. I'm pretty sure he's using the DI output on the amp which seems to have a cabinet/filter applied over it. No idea what load he is using either. The Helix model isn't my favourite but even in this video it sounds WAY more like what a 2204 should sound like than how he has the real amp set up.

Yeah I saw that video and had the same thought. I checked the manual and it said there's cab emulation. Jason said that he checked it against a loaded speaker output and there was no cab emulation. But something is off and it certainly sounds like he's running a cab emulation on top of an analog filter.

Also, if the Helix model had the bright cap removed, that should make it darker, not brighter. I believe there's also additional gain stages, so it's a fairly high gain amp with a lot less high end than you would expect from a JCM 800. I actually kind of like that, but you can't quite do the "hey this is a really good clean tone for a Marshall" thing with the Helix model.

but I think that editing on the Stomp is, in some ways, actually easier than on the full-sized units, due to the comparative lack of options (e.g lesser number of inputs and outputs, single DSP path etc).

Well, I was only refering to the actual "tactile experience", which I find to be pretty bad. Encoders too close to the switches, so you often trigger their capacitive behaviour (unless you switch that off), lower right encoder switches models which might completely destroy your patch (unlike on the Floor/LT, that can't be disabled), pretty much no single relevant parameter is displayed on the first page (such as level for drives/amps or mix for delays/reverbs), which makes finetuning any interplay between a pedal and an amp a true nightmare, etc. I actually think editing my MS-50G is a lot easier.
But then, as usual, YMMV.

It's all entirely subjective of course and my opinion is no more (or less!) valid than yours, but I think that editing on the Stomp is, in some ways, actually easier than on the full-sized units, due to the comparative lack of options (e.g lesser number of inputs and outputs, single DSP path etc).

+1. For a device as compact as the Stomp, it is remarkable how easy it is to program. Line 6 did a great job on ensuring the process flows and feels very very close to its big Helix brothers.

Can't think of any other similar example. It is miles better than the FM3 i once had - with its much bigger screen, an 21 front-facing controls.

Little titbit about Helix, and The other unit™.
Timestamp:

I agree with these guys, interesting talk overall.

I had the FM3, Helix Floor and QC in the same room and ended up settling on the FM3, which later got upgraded to the Axe-Fx 3. But realistically the FM3, especially with the CPU usage improvements of FW 6.00 would do enough for me. I came real close to keeping the QC but ultimately decided that I can just sell it, buy it again when it gets to where I want it to be. Still hasn't.

The main thing that made me sell the Helix was to do with form factor. HX Stomp is not powerful enough and compromises heavily on UI, Helix Floor/LT is too big to put somewhere higher up and if I got to go rack, might as well go Axe-Fx 3.

I can't use floor units anymore due to medical reasons, would pretty much have to sit on the floor to work with them, bending over is no good. Same reason why my pedalboard is remote controlled via wireless MIDI from the floor and the actual board sits on a desk or stand - plan is to make it operable more like a movable mixer or something.

A the moment Line6 kinda doesn't offer the right device for me so I stick to Fractal and use it with Axe-Edit most of the time.

I had the FM3, Helix Floor and QC in the same room and ended up settling on the FM3, which later got upgraded to the Axe-Fx 3. But realistically the FM3, especially with the CPU usage improvements of FW 6.00 would do enough for me. I came real close to keeping the QC but ultimately decided that I can just sell it, buy it again when it gets to where I want it to be. Still hasn't.

The main thing that made me sell the Helix was to do with form factor. HX Stomp is not powerful enough and compromises heavily on UI, Helix Floor/LT is too big to put somewhere higher up and if I got to go rack, might as well go Axe-Fx 3.

I can't use floor units anymore due to medical reasons, would pretty much have to sit on the floor to work with them, bending over is no good. Same reason why my pedalboard is remote controlled via wireless MIDI from the floor and the actual board sits on a desk or stand - plan is to make it operable more like a movable mixer or something.

A the moment Line6 kinda doesn't offer the right device for me so I stick to Fractal and use it with Axe-Edit most of the time.
Either or cant go wrong and yes we all go with what works for us (y)

Either or cant go wrong and yes we all go with what works for us (y)
Agreed, and I just have to ask @laxu, why couldn't you do the same thing with a Floor/LT, put it wherever you want and use HX Edit most of the time?

200.gif

Last edited:
Agreed, but I just have to ask, why couldn't you do the same thing with a Floor/LT, put it wherever you want and use HX Edit most of the time?

200.gif
No I meant cant go wrong with either a Helix or any FAS product
My Helix is always at my foot and i exclusively use HX edit i only bend down to Clean my Helix :D

No I meant cant go wrong with either a Helix or any FAS product
My Helix is always at my foot and i exclusively use HX edit i only bend down to Clean my Helix :D
Crap, I formatted my post wrong, the "Agreed" part was for you, the "I just have to ask" part was for @laxu

Sigh. Now with the free backpack deal I am really thinking about selling my Stomp to get an LT. I’ll be back in a day to change my mind again.

Back