Helix Talk

This may be get lost in this thread and possibly rightfully so. Call me batshit insane :unsure:. Been on a bass amp for guitar trip with the Dripman. Welp for shits n giggles I tried the Pearce BC-1 ch 1 with the Billy Sheehan mods and the 4x12 Greenback 25 cab. This is an interesting solid state amp. I find it really good for guitar because the mods have the bass removed BUT the tone controls are post distortion and active EQ so you can boost/cut. You also have 2 additional gain stages for high distortion and sustain. So with that setup, you can crank the distortion and then add the bass back as needed. This thing kills. Wtf.
That model is a low DSP sleeper. Built on compression is icing on the cake.

This may be get lost in this thread and possibly rightfully so. Call me batshit insane :unsure:. Been on a bass amp for guitar trip with the Dripman. Welp for shits n giggles I tried the Pearce BC-1 ch 1 with the Billy Sheehan mods and the 4x12 Greenback 25 cab. This is an interesting solid state amp. I find it really good for guitar because the mods have the bass removed BUT the tone controls are post distortion and active EQ so you can boost/cut. You also have 2 additional gain stages for high distortion and sustain. So with that setup, you can crank the distortion and then add the bass back as needed. This thing kills. Wtf.
Very cool. I need to try this next time I feel experimental. I had a love affair with using the Ampeg SVT4 Pro as a pefal platform guitar amp because of the graphic EQ that drives the preamp nicely.

Very cool. I need to try this next time I feel experimental. I had a love affair with using the Ampeg SVT4 Pro as a pefal platform guitar amp because of the graphic EQ that drives the preamp nicely.
Yea me too! I like the Ampeg svt4 pro as a guitar amp. The para eq is super useful. I find bass amps with the sweepable midrange really nice. Big clean bass amps with pedals are :chef.

Yea me too! I like the Ampeg svt4 pro as a guitar amp. The para eq is super useful. I find bass amps with the sweepable midrange really nice. Big clean bass amps with pedals are :chef.
That makes sense. The original V4 and V4B aren't that different if you don't mind a reverb tank.

Hey all !

In my FM3, the Speaker Impedance Curves [ SIC's ] are in the Amp block and can be selected / changed independent of the IR you are using.

In the Helix .... I think I'm right in saying this ..... the SIC that the Amp is modelled with is "baked into the Amp Block".

This SIC selections would be a very nice tone shaping feature to have in the Helix too as changing the SIC can have a very significant impact on the tones you are looking for which would otherwise be impossible to dial in with EQ.

I wonder if this is (a) easy low hanging fruit that L6 could implement if they wanted to quite easily / quickly or (b) if this requires quite a bit of time and effort to create numerous and accurate SIC's (?)

Ben

I wonder if this is (a) easy low hanging fruit that L6 could implement if they wanted to quite easily / quickly or (b) if this requires quite a bit of time and effort to create numerous and accurate SIC's (?)

Given the way that they brute force measure every component when the amp is connected to a speaker load, I wouldn't be surprised if it is essentially impossible to "extricate and replace" the SIC with something different, just like you can't unbake a cake!

Even if they could, I'd imagine it might end up costing a little extra DSP, so unless they could optimise elsewhere, it's probably unlikely they would do so.

Also, if the point is "more accuracy"... I don't know if it's worth the trouble. I feel the battle for accuracy is being replaced by the battle for "does it sound good?", and I'm ok with that.

I never wanted the Helix to be like those classic videogame console emulators where you can have hundreds of games where you perfectly emulate things like old TVs scanlines but play only a little while from time to time.

got a question thats probably really easy:

so i setup a preset where the top row is guitar stuff. that output block only goes to the 1/4'' outs which goes to my guitar amp. the bottom row is all bass stuff. that output block only goes to the XLR outs which goes to a bass amp.

how would i setup snapshots where one snap was only the guitar, one snap was only bass, and one snap was both? having a snap where certain blocks were not engaged would still pass a signal through so am looking for some sort of mute?

thanks in advance!!!

got a question thats probably really easy:

so i setup a preset where the top row is guitar stuff. that output block only goes to the 1/4'' outs which goes to my guitar amp. the bottom row is all bass stuff. that output block only goes to the XLR outs which goes to a bass amp.

how would i setup snapshots where one snap was only the guitar, one snap was only bass, and one snap was both? having a snap where certain blocks were not engaged would still pass a signal through so am looking for some sort of mute?

thanks in advance!!!
The simplest method is probably to choose a level/gain/volume control in each row and bring those to 0 to mute.

Back