Helix 3.2 when?

Have to say this was a great update I absolutely love this new Cab update, I see so much arguing and negativity on that other site about these new cabs versus IR, and I get it a lot of folks will stick to their IR's, which is fine, as for me Ill use the cabs feature it will make quick work of the tones I'm looking for and as always different strokes for different folks, YMMV

Last edited:
Post should be a per channel master volume like OG 5150. Which should remove the Master control if that's the case? There is a master boost control on the Invective iirc?

They added a global master as well as the solo boost thing in the Invective. It basically means you have a wider range of tones that IMO don't sound as good as the original. Having the extra master volumes in the circuit seems to change where the sweet spot is for me - I don't have the real Invective in my studio but I seem to remember having to set the master to 6 to get it most similar to my block letter 5150.

Leon's video basically shows what cranking the post gain (AKA channel master) which adds a ton of bloat and stuff I dont generally want in a 5150 sound.

Don't the masters add an extra bright-cap into the signal path? I'm sure I read that somewhere???

A Post Gain of 7.7 will give you the same preamp frequency response as the 5150, everything else being the same.
It has been confirmed by real Invective and 5150 owners many times on various sites like SevenString and TGP and the Helix models behave the same.

Yup. I AB’d it vs my 5150. On crunch and lead channels with BMTPR on 6 and gain on 4, the two amps are identical (Invective post gains about 3:00).
Source

Panama Vitriol.png

Sop

Last edited:
Have to say this was a great update I absolutely love this new Cab update, I see so much arguing and negativity on that other site about these new cabs versus IR, and I get it a lot of folks will stick to their IR's, which is fine, as for me Ill use the cabs feature it will make quick work of the tones I'm looking for and as always different strokes for different folks, YMMV

TLfreakingDR warning

It’s all good. There is however two sides in all this.

One could argue that (if the legacy cabs were better) a new user with no experience with mics and how to set a cab up, would be helped by Line 6 curating the cabs stocks setting in a helpful way. And keep the legacy cabs simple layout and options.
The starting points and stock settings should be “standardized” or something like that. So the user feel confident in that this is the way it’s supposed to sound.

It’s the same kind of “trust” thing that many people put in IR makers.

York gained a lot of trust with curated IR mixes only because people with real experience acknowledging that “this is how it sounds”, and then people with no experience feel comfortable with that and “think” that it’s the way it should sound. And also keeping things minimum amounts of files is helping.

Line 6 should, imo, go above and beyond to give an inexperienced user the best possibilities to start off knowing that “this is how it should sound”.

Because. Far from everyone has ever put a mic in front of an amp. I haven’t, never ever did I have to do that in my band playing days, or recording in studio days. I’ve realized that between 17 and 35 (the years I was active in bands and friends, playing some gigs and took part of recordings) I didn’t know a fucking thing about anything except standing there and do my part.

In this day with all the modelers and stuff available in them, we are thrown into a world where experience and knowledge is the key. Sure… I use my ears and it mostly turns out good. But the “I don’t know why and what I’m doing” factor combined with to many options/parameters is something that always will be the thing that either makes me put down the guitar or put my trust in someone else that knows how it should be.

I’m blowing this up and exaggerating it of course. But it’s relevant.

The new cabs are great, and sound great to me. But they are also opening a new (old) kind of problem. For some people. It’s easy for people like James, you, John Painter and Justin York to say this and that. But people like me and many others don’t have the kind of experiences. And that’s also why the debates about this and that between these people gets soooo tiresome. Because it won’t help.

But I’m good… :facepalm :rofl
At least I feel a little better now about the starting settings of the new cab sim, than the legacy cab sim. Out of the box they sound closer to the IRs I’ve sometimes used.

Last edited:
TLfreakingDR warning

It’s all good. There is however two sides in all this.

One could argue that (if the legacy cabs were better) a new user with no experience with mics and how to set a cab up, would be helped by Line 6 curating the cabs stocks setting in a helpful way. And keep the legacy cabs simple layout and options.
The starting points and stock settings should be “standardized” or something like that. So the user feel confident in that this is the way it’s supposed to sound.

It’s the same kind of “trust” thing that many people put in IR makers.

York gained a lot of trust with curated IR mixes only because people with real experience acknowledging that “this is how it sounds”, and then people with no experience feel comfortable with that and “think” that it’s the way it should sound. And also keeping things minimum amounts of files is helping.

Line 6 should, imo, go above and beyond to give an inexperienced user the best possibilities to start off knowing that “this is how it should sound”.

Because. Far from everyone has ever put a mic in front of an amp. I haven’t, never ever did I have to do that in my band playing days, or recording in studio days. I’ve realized that between 17 and 35 (the years I was active in bands and friends, playing some gigs and took part of recordings) I didn’t know a f*****g thing about anything except standing there and do my part.

In this day with all the modelers and stuff available in them, we are thrown into a world where experience and knowledge is the key. Sure… I use my ears and it mostly turns out good. But the “I don’t know why and what I’m doing” factor combined with to many options/parameters is something that always will be the thing that either makes me put down the guitar or put my trust in someone else that knows how it should be.

I’m blowing this up and exaggerating it of course. But it’s relevant.

The new cabs are great, and sound great to me. But they are also opening a new (old) kind of problem. For some people. It’s easy for people like James, you, John the freaking Painter and Justiffer York to say this and that. But people like me and many others don’t have the kind of experiences. And that’s also why the debates about this and that between these people gets soooo tiresome. Because it won’t help.

But I’m good… :facepalm :rofl
At least I feel a little better now about the starting settings of the new cab sim, than the legacy cab sim. Out of the box they sound closer to the IRs I’ve sometimes used.

I agree that the new cabs defaults should be as good as possible in any preset (maybe they are I have no idea) but it's impossible to please everyone and what's your "this is how it should sound" might not be mine. I really mean it.

People who are willing to learn how to use the new cabs properly (and therefore learning a bit about how guitars are recorded) will get good results sooner or later. It's not rocket science.
Those who don't bother to invest their time into this kind of things will use IRS or proably sound like shit no matter what. I'm ok with that.

I'm all for sparta in this case

1667747810855.png

A couple days in and I'm really enjoying the update. I modified my everyday Ventoux patch by just swapping stock cab with the dual version of its new model, swapping out the liquifier with the 4-voice chorus, substituted the Pillar for whatever boost I had, and throwing the dynamic ambience at the very end of the chain. In the dual cab I panned hard left and right and put in a largish delay of 18mSec and used a different mic on the second of the dual, and fine tuned a little my playing around with the position of the second cab's mic. So it's mostly a cool headphone patch with a lot of 3-D to it. But when I just run it through the aux in of my THR 10c it holds up reasonably well, not overly phasey. It's just a lot of fun. With the mods engaged it's now a great late 70s-Early 80s Lifeson-esque sort of sound paired with my HSS strat clone. It's been my best experience to date playing through a modeler.

I agree that the new cabs defaults should be as good as possible in any preset (maybe they are I have no idea)
The new presets that they updated with the new cab blocks actually do sound quite good, IMO. I was pleasantly surprised.

Many following the update procedure might not have them, though, because if they did a full backup and then restored all of their old presets, the new factory ones get overwritten by old ones.

Exactly.
But it didn’t take long before JMP and Justin Y hammered down their accuracy hammer… I don’t care. They have valid opinions but don’t explain why they have them (because their setup and tech sounds the way it does because? Exactly…)
I personally haven’t found a York IR I like and I’ve tried the ones of speakers I like in the real world and conversely I have found other good options for IR’s of those speakers that I do like…. so his opinion, which really just his preference, is useless to me anyway.

Agree. I like the Two Notes stuff because it sounds good and you can fine tune it with moving virtual mics around. Glad to see Line 6 opting for that approach as well because it’s a way better way to find what you’re looking for and not dumpster diving for IR’s in folder after folder after folder after folder after folder after folder.

Many following the update procedure might not have them, though, because if they did a full backup and then restored all of their old presets, the new factory ones get overwritten by old ones
Good point

For anyone who wants the new factory presets on their Rack/Floor/LT, you can uncheck the Factory 1 setlist upon restoration of your backup.

Pretty Much, some usual suspects have gone over 3.5 feature Jason, Steve, John Nathan
But then again do we need 500 Reviews ? no, we have more wealth of information here anyways

Back