Helix 3.2 when?

What we call "interpolation" is not much different than basic stereo L/R panning.
It turns down IR1 volume while turning up IR2 volume, the resulting mix is an automatic product, I don't think there's much math involved.

Yep, exactly. Although when using multiple IR’s you want it to only have 2 consecutive positions loaded at only one time and for it to transition from one into the next. Can also get kind of messy if you’re working with different microphones or blending other signals to keep things organised

A few words about the future of cabs and IRs.

To me it seems like the next logical step is to integrate the virtual moving mic and IRs together, for example, a system where the user can load his own 10 IRs and the virtual mic smoothly interpolates between them like the Helix and QC do now.
The intention is to replace the long IR list with something more intuitive like moving a mic and allow the massive variety of third party IRs at the same time.

Combine these and everyone wins.
You’re not talking about (gulp!) industry standardization are you? :sofa

Is it just me or the Helix Floor GUI has become a bit sluggish with 3.5?
Yes, in the amp block but not in other blocks like EQ?
Only the GUI though, the sound changes immediately.

You’re not talking about (gulp!) industry standardization are you? :sofa

It crossed my mind multiple times, each IR vendor will offer 10 best/important sounding spots along the speaker axis per microphone, so we can smoothly sweep between them or blend however we like.
But yeah, we need at least two big players like Fractal and Line 6 to allow custom 10 point sweep for this to become "standard".

Edit:
Fractal allows mixing of 4 IRs, but I think what Line 6 and NDSP are doing to interpolate between the positions in the Cab block is far less Memory/DSP intensive.

Last edited:
Yes, in the amp block but not in other blocks like EQ?
Only the GUI though, the sound changes immediately.

Yes, I'm talking about the GUI only.
Turning the knobs with the new ballistic doesn't respond immediately and can't keep up if you accelerate. When you accelerate stops updating the numbers for a fraction of a second or so.
It happens on all blocks.

Works smoothly only if you turn them slowly.

The Vital distortion is a really nice piece of gear. I like the boost too.

Makes me want to buy the hardware one.

And the Sunn amp is great, indeed. Has immediately entered in my amp rotation list.
Very nice addition

Last edited:
Turning the knobs with the new ballistic doesn't respond immediately and can't keep up if you accelerate. When you accelerate stops updating the numbers for a fraction of a second or so.
It happens on all blocks.
Didn't notice that one, works fine for me. Bit it takes longer to redraw the screen when changing presets, and even snapshots. Minor issue, almost irrelevant, sound change is immediate.

I broke rule #1 and brought my Stomp home from the venue on Sunday to update it before this weeks shows. I couldn't resist, I was too curious.

So far it's excellent. I still like some of my York IRs better than the new cabs, but now it's just because of taste in the specific speaker and mic placement in the York, not because of a vast difference in quality. The quality is definitely on par now, it's just preference in sound at this point.

I LOVE the change in the response of the knobs! It takes some getting used to because I'm so used to turning and turning and turning and turning to get where I want to go.

Moo)))n might become one of my new go-to jazz amps. It's warm and round, it's got great string to string clarity and enough definition that I can make it darker without losing clarity in chord voicings.

Paired with the new B-15 and Princeton cabs in a dual cab block sounds really nice with my Strat.

[Off topic] A recent video about tone matching and Melda software (hi mr Freeman) :

And what do you think about this ?

MFreeformEqualizer, my secret weapon, I do EVERYTHING with it.

I have settings to tone match pink noise, sine sweeps or playing with extreme accuracy, this really is the best tool for IRs creation and tone matching, it's far quicker and more accurate than any other tool available.

Last edited:
Back