Helix 3.2 when?

I loved using the rack as my interface. That sucks :(
Yep, as we are often encouraged to do, I logged my first ever L6 support ticket this morning. Not real hopeful though, I don't think there's enough of us Cakewalk users around the L6 community for this to get on their radar screen. At least I was able to get it working with 3.15 again. I had to reinstall the driver after rolling back to 3.15 (initially had the same issue).

Which is weird because they are in fact just IRs like any other IR.

I think it's because they are the same cabs and speakers (and microphones I guess)

Anyway, I've spent some more time with them and is really easy to get satisfying sounds.
The delay control (with dual cabs used in mono) is very useful if you look for a little phasey sound. I like that.

Cakewalk users - there is something wonky with Cakewalk, maybe caused by a windows update, as this used to work with no issues, and I noticed it last night prior to installing the Helix Native update. I opened Cakewalk, picked my most recent project, and then opened an existing instance of helix native. I clicked on the My Account button, bottom left corner. I was going to check for the update that way. When I went to enter my password, Cakewalk kept intercepting the keystrokes as Cakewalk commands. I couldn't get around it.

So I did what I should have done in the first place, followed the install instructions from the Line 6 site. Installed fine, but kept crashing when I would use the spacebar to stop and restart play. (The stop works, the restart crashes).

So this morning I downloaded the latest Cakewalk. Same issue.

And I just noticed, when I go to save a new preset in Native, Cakewalk again intercepts the keystrokes as if I typing command shortcuts.

Just tried using the Neural DSP Petrucci plugin. Same transport control crash as Helix Native.

This does not seem like a Helix Native problem at all.

The delay control (with dual cabs used in mono) is very useful if you look for a little phasey sound. I like that.
Here's a little trick;
Set both cabs to the same volume, mic, and positions, so both are absolutely identical.
Delay the second cab by 0.06ms (very short, three clicks from zero).
Lower the High Cut of cab 2 until you hear the "offending" frequency changing.
Now gradually lower cab 2 level until you get the perfect blend.

The key is the small delay and high cut, combined you get a sweeping notch filter.

Last edited:
Cakewalk users - there is something wonky with Cakewalk, maybe caused by a windows update, as this used to work with no issues, and I noticed it last night prior to installing the Helix Native update. I opened Cakewalk, picked my most recent project, and then opened an existing instance of helix native. I clicked on the My Account button, bottom left corner. I was going to check for the update that way. When I went to enter my password, Cakewalk kept intercepting the keystrokes as Cakewalk commands. I couldn't get around it.

So I did what I should have done in the first place, followed the install instructions from the Line 6 site. Installed fine, but kept crashing when I would use the spacebar to stop and restart play. (The stop works, the restart crashes).

So this morning I downloaded the latest Cakewalk. Same issue.

And I just noticed, when I go to save a new preset in Native, Cakewalk again intercepts the keystrokes as if I typing command shortcuts.

Just tried using the Neural DSP Petrucci plugin. Same transport control crash as Helix Native.

This does not seem like a Helix Native problem at all.
Are you using helix hardware as part of your setup? I have no issues with Cakewalk with Helix 3.15 on connected hardware, but get the problem you describe with Helix 3.50 connected hardware, irrespective of any plugins. No issues with all helix hardware disconnected as well.

Are you using helix hardware as part of your setup? I have no issues with Cakewalk with Helix 3.15 on connected hardware, but get the problem you describe with Helix 3.50 connected hardware, irrespective of any plugins. No issues with all helix hardware disconnected as well.
No, Helix hardware is not connected right now. I meant to reply to you earlier about this. Stupid work distracting me!

Here's a little trick;
Set both cabs to the same volume, mic, and positions, so both are absolutely identical.
Delay the second cab by 0.06ms (very short, three clicks from zero).
Lower the High Cut of cab 2 until you hear the "offending" frequency changing.
Now gradually lower cab 2 level until you get the perfect blend.

The key is the small delay and high cut, combined you get a sweeping notch filter.

I use it more like when I record a cab and move mics back and forth untill I get the blend I like.

I gotta be honest, I'm not really wowed here. It continues to sound pretty good, and the new cabs are better. But I still prefer Amplitube5/ToneX. If IK does a ToneX pedal, count me the fuck in.

Can I hire you as my gear consultant to deter me from purchasing stuff?
I'm just being honest, and it's still just an opinion. For me, I like Fractal the best in terms of hardware modelers, and at the same time detest using them. I like Amplitube 5 for software, as well as S-Gear as a close second. But most of all, I like real tube amps into a Captor X.

I'm just being honest, and it's still just an opinion. For me, I like Fractal the best in terms of hardware modelers, and at the same time detest using them. I like Amplitube 5 for software, as well as S-Gear as a close second. But most of all, I like real tube amps into a Captor X.
I've been really happy with ToneX. For my needs it fills the QC/Kemper void. However it certainly has limitations and really not usable for gigs

I've been really happy with ToneX. For my needs it fills the QC/Kemper void. However it certainly has limitations and really not usable for gigs
100% agree. I'm not convinced that an iPad or laptop is a great idea for your average bar band situation. Some people make it work, but I fight computers enough for my day job.

Sounds it produces are :chef About 90% of my experience using it is "fine". That last 10% is :oops: :cussthough.

I gotta be honest, I'm not really wowed here. It continues to sound pretty good, and the new cabs are better. But I still prefer Amplitube5/ToneX. If IK does a ToneX pedal, count me the f**k in.

Now you've gawn and dunnit. I wanna see how this compares to the FM3.

Downloading the ToneX demo for macOS... ⌛

Like I need any more of this stuff :facepalm

No, Helix hardware is not connected right now. I meant to reply to you earlier about this. Stupid work distracting me!
Haha (re stupid work). Sounds like our issues are different despite superficial similarities. My Cakewalk is fine with no Helix hardware attached, fine with Helix hardware @ 3.15 connected, but broken with Helix hardware @ 3.50 connected.

I somewhat agree
I mean the new cabs are great but sort of solves a problem I did not have with the York audio IRs or OH
Now the fact that you can use dual IR is nice and the CPU reduction is very helpful but overall this is like
Metallurgy on the Hardware

I somewhat agree
I mean the new cabs are great but sort of solves a problem I did not have with the York audio IRs or OH
Now the fact that you can use dual IR is nice and the CPU reduction is very helpful but overall this is like
Metallurgy on the Hardware
Speaking of “getting plugins on the hardware…”

How fast did they figure that out? And Neural going on 2 years…?

Somewhat of an update: "Jamesdom" over on TGP reproduced my issue (give the man a raise, DI!!!). He suggested a temporary workaround of going back to the previous (1.96) driver. I'm about to try that but it means I have to go through the 3.15->3.5 update again so it'll take some time before I know anything. Dunno if it will work for your issue or not.

Last edited:
Back