Helix 3.2 when?

It’s good, but my FM3 is like playing thru a great tube amp mostly. Close but not the same league imho. I played to shows with the Fractal this weekend and it sounded amazing. Use the stomp for practice and it’s just not there. I’m talking amps, the hx effects are great.
I have always and will always love the Recto. I like some amps some days and other amps on others. The Recto is consistent for me. Always enjoyable.

I have always and will always love the Recto. I like some amps some days and other amps on others. The Recto is consistent for me. Always enjoyable.
I need to spend some time with it. My first ten years of playing I used a mark II. Since that I have had some sort of a Marshall circuit so that’s what I gravitate towards. That’s what I feel isn’t up to par in the Hx stuff for me.

tone matching "IR Sandwich"

Not even tone matching is doable now, Fractal holds a new patent until 2040 for the most basic ass tone matching.
That is literally just a Pre and Post EQ, how the hell did they let him patent that? Magic...

Still, that doesn't prevent anyone else from using Matching-EQ or IRs and save it in a single 'Favorite', if the modeler will allow it.

EDIT:
Yep, these are the exact steps how I do it too.
I am actually quite shocked that Cliff managed to patent a super basic EQ trick we've been doing in our DAWs for ages.

US20200279546A1-20200903-D00004.png

Last edited:
Not even tone matching is doable now, Fractal holds a new patent until 2040 for the most basic ass tone matching.
That is literally just a Pre and Post EQ, how the hell did they let him patent that? Magic...

Still, that doesn't prevent anyone else from using Matching-EQ or IRs and save it in a single 'Favorite', if the modeler will allow it.
I think it might be more than a simple tone match and I don’t think you have seen them use it yet
He only applied for it a year or 2 ago
Tone match has been in the AX2 for years
I suspect they plan to do something different with this
Only comments so far was “I have something better than profile and captures

Tone match has been in the AX2 for years
I suspect they plan to do something different with this

That's not just your regular tone matching, it's Pre & Post tone matching which is far more accurate and captures the tonality and 'feel' of the amp.
How the amp responds to guitar volume roll off and tightness of high gain etc. will also be matched.

I think the user will still have to choose the type of amp manually, something that the modeler can't(?) "listen too" and do automatically.

12 minutes... that's a lot of new data.

I assume this update will have a lot of new assets (images, IRs, etc), maybe even a completely new UI.
Dare I guess, it will be obvious which Helix got the 3.2 just by looking at it....

Just guessing.

Last edited:
12 minutes... that's a lot of new data.

I assume this update will have a lot of new assets (images, IRs, etc), maybe even a completely new UI.
Dare I guess, it will be obvious which Helix got the 3.2 just by looking at it....

Just guessing.
I think they’ll try to push that back a little more. 12 minutes as of now. Maybe less when it’s done?

What interests me is why it takes that long in the first place, the firmware file was typically around 5MB, maybe it is several times larger now.
I know that assets (images, wav, etc.) is what takes the most space on a firmware, hence I'm guessing there will be a lot of that.

I think they’ll try to push that back a little more. 12 minutes as of now. Maybe less when it’s done?
TBH if you only have to do it once 12 minutes is not bad if it does not timeout
I would rather a 10 -12 minute clean update w no bugs than 5 mins that crashes .

Beta testing just might take longer because of the 12 minute load time between revisions. Imagine if someone was testing the Rack, Floor, LT, Stomp, FX, and Native all at once :eek:
What's the problem, they just need to make it perfect first time, solved. :grin

BTW IIRC there was a talk about making the Cab and IR block Stereo and/or able to blend two IRs.
I guess they will update the mixing and panning ability in the current cab block to resemble Metallurgy?
If there is no new assets like DI said, the new cabs must be in the current Cab block under a new category with new sliders?

A lot of room for guessing, we still know pretty much nothing.

Beta testing just might take longer because of the 12 minute load time between revisions.
I would imagine that the 12 minute update time mostly applies to going from a pre-3.20 beta build (i.e. 3.15) to a 3.20 beta build.

Obviously this is pure speculation on my part, but we know that 3.20 is going to require a two stage update, but the first stage may be where all the time is needed, and subsequent beta updates might not require that first stage again, so may run significantly quicker.

I hope nothing was snipped purely because of size. :eek:
Technically yes, but people with way better ears than mine maintain there's zero sonic detriment, and I trust them.
I would imagine that the 12 minute update time mostly applies to going from a pre-3.20 beta build (i.e. 3.15) to a 3.20 beta build.

Obviously this is pure speculation on my part, but we know that 3.20 is going to require a two stage update, but the first stage may be where all the time is needed, and subsequent beta updates might not require that first stage again, so may run significantly quicker.
Well, there are two things that make 3.20's update so long:
  • The double-update, which unlike 2.80, is now transparent to the user
  • Stuff that's not the double update
So 3.30 won't have to deal with the first, but it may have to deal with the second.

Back