Helix 3.2 when?

Thing is, USB-B are (mechanically) way more rugged than modern alternatives such as USB-C.

USB-B cables are a bit of a PITA to work with though.
USB B is still the most durable USB socket available that's why they still use it.
You do not want to trip on a micro-USB or USB-C cable that is connected to something heavy on the floor.
I don't have any MTBF statistics to quote or anything like that, but I don't see how USB-B can be regarded as most rugged/durable. To be fair, I wouldn't want to trip on any of the above - I'd expect nearly any connection to fail if I did. But as far as probability of permanent damage after simply connecting/ disconnecting a cable n times... the only jack I've ever seen fail was that HX Stomp USB B jack. The plastic center breaks, leaving the conductors unprotected, and then those bend, and then game over.

(Rumor had it that there was a run of USB jacks made of more brittle plastic than most, some of which got into early Stomps. Not sure whether that's true or not.)

Actually, the reason most standalone devices use USB-B is that it is the only plug type guaranteeing you won't be able to connect two host computers to one another. But yeah, it's also by far the best mechanical option.
True until a couple of years ago, when USB-C was introduced. Not that USB-C is all that robust either, but... see my previous post.

True until a couple of years ago, when USB-C was introduced. Not that USB-C is all that robust either, but... see my previous post.

It is more robust in the sense that f.ex. USB-C has a higher MTBF for connection cycles, but USB-B is still the better mechanical coupling option of all consumer alternatives.

You don't want to kick any USB connector, but the chances of damaging USB-C in such a scenario are way higher than USB-B. C connectors are also a pain in the ass to repair.

USB-C is great for anything that won't be laying on the floor though.

It is more robust in the sense that f.ex. USB-C has a higher MTBF for connection cycles, but USB-B is still the better mechanical coupling option of all consumer alternatives.

You don't want to kick any USB connector, but the chances of damaging USB-C in such a scenario are way higher than USB-B. C connectors are also a pain in the ass to repair.

USB-C is great for anything that won't be laying on the floor though.
Fair enough. I think we can split hairs and argue this point either way. Bottom line for me: one will only fail if you use it in ways it's not intended to be used. The other will break on a random Tuesday three weeks after purchase while you're gently unplugging it, even though you're the most neurotically over-cautious product owner on the planet.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide which is which. ;)

eng_pl_Ugreen-adapter-USB-Type-C-USB-Type-B-gray-US382-68860_7.jpg

Oh... Didnt EU just made a rule about C must be a standard on everything?

That may put some sticks in the wheels for R&D things if there is a date a manufacturer has to adapt to....

@Digital Igloo You must have heard about this, if its a thing that affects your part of the electronics industry.

Laugh it up, but i've been using these on everything lately, particularly stuff like wireless headphones.

Never seen a full blown Type-B magnetic plug cable though :cry:
I love the magnetic cables. Do any of yours transmit data? The few different kind I have really don't, if they made a B version it had better transmit data.. Perhaps the reason we don't see them?

I love the magnetic cables. Do any of yours transmit data? The few different kind I have really don't, if they made a B version it had better transmit data.. Perhaps the reason we don't see them?

All of them, through i mostly use them for charging. But data-capable magnetic cables are readily available. Still, these are usually 4-pin internally, so you don't get full speed on USB-C f.ex.

PXL_20221012_215725716.jpg

Last edited:
Back