Helix 3.2 when?

Probably for the best as the ST starship UI has a lot of sliders... ;)
Nonsense. Not a slider in sight on the whole bridge. It's buttons and knobs galore <3

startrektour-rev-bridge3.jpg

OK, there are those three for the transporter, but they're the normal, vertical kind.

46bd1bc4765e91789f8b08353d3a0d0f.jpg

I suppose that whilst they were taking their detailed measurements they recorded speaker impedance curves at the same time.
So probably the HX Cabs now all have proper impedance curves embedded within

Currently, impedance curves are part of the amp in most modelers (AxeFx, Helix) and the Cabs/IRs are typically captured with flat solid state poweramp without any additional impedance curve coloration, I believe Metallurgy cabs are no different.
Multiple impedance curve tone coloration on the same model is not desirable or accurate, especially if the curves are different.

It would be very cool if the impedance curve is stored in the Cab/IR wav file instead of the amp model, but that means the modeler will have to support both old and new methods during the transition to the new method by everyone.
Also, when using real cabs with the modelers there is absolutely no way the digital model can 'see' the real cab impedance through the real poweramp, that has to be manually selected like in the AxeFx.

I don't think IR+Impedance in a single file will catch because there are lot of "old" IRs in the market already, that will add another layer of complexity that requires reading the manual to build your core tone which should be quick, easy, and sound good, without reading the manual.

My band's 2nd guitarist just got an HX Stomp due to this 3.20 sonic leap hype (and because I've been hyping him for quite some time with my LT and Native).

He's a Kemper Stage user, and while the device sounds amazing, he's always missed the amount of fx and updates of the Helix. Now he's thinking about selling the Kemper and getting some Fender strat lol.

If there was a Stomp with full power; I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I don't run out of power on my presets; even ones where I all in with the Stomp vs using it for post stuff with an amp. It's just that sweet spot of functionality and size as is.
:chef
Last year i got a Stomp and it got HOT when using it..so if they put more power in that little box it would catch on fire,haha

Ahhhh the XL to me makes no sense. If it had the switches AND processing power upgrade; f**k yes. Otherwise; magic is just as much in the form factor. Which the OG has in spades over the XL.
Stomp XL was the sweet spot for me. Sounds like a Helix, plenty of foot switches. Mode switch. Oversampling update (unlike POD GO). Weighs next to nothing. Can't go wrong.

Last edited:
Back