Helix 3.2 when?

I sold my Helix LT and my Stomp and bought an FM3 early this year; but I have to say, @Digital Igloo's comments concerning the "Sonically Audible Engine Improvements" in the 3.2 update have really given me something to think about!

VERY intrigued.

1664632540389.png

So my final guess, which is much more realistic I think, is this:

We saw in the Line 6 promotional video all the fine capture equipment they used to measure and capture the Metallurgy cabs. I suppose that whilst they were taking their detailed measurements they recorded speaker impedance curves at the same time.

So probably the HX Cabs now all have proper SICs embedded within them and that, coupled with improved power amp modelling in the amp models means it would sound more accurate and indeed "better" because the amp model power section would change its behaviour based on selected cab + SIC.

This assumes that all amp models had fixed baked-in SICs interaction behaviour before. Now that could be a wrong assumption, but if that's true, it would also mean that with the existing firmware, if you were to choose a cab that was less suited to a baked-in amp model SIC, then it wouldn't sound so good. Perhaps that is what's behind the years-old argument between Helix users where some say that the stock cabs sound good, whilst others don't like them - because outcomes are higly dependent on what combination of cab + power section you choose; sometimes you get lucky!

And yes, before anybody points it out - I'm kinda obsessed with SICs the moment!

Last edited:
I sold my Helix LT and my Stomp and bought an FM3 early this year; but I have to say, @Digital Igloo's comments concerning the "Sonically Audible Engine Improvements" in the 3.2 update have really given me something to think about!

VERY intrigued.

View attachment 1144

That's exactly why I bought a Stomp XL about a year ago. I sold my big Helix Floor and was just using an FM3, but new features and I got FOMO...

Happy to have both.

So my final guess, which is much more realistic I think, is this:

We saw in the Line 6 promotional video all the fine capture equipment they used to measure and capture the Metallurgy cabs. I suppose that whilst they were taking their detailed measurements they recorded speaker impedance curves at the same time.

So probably the HX Cabs now all have proper SICs embedded within them and that, coupled with improved power amp modelling in the amp models means it would sound more accurate and indeed "better" because the amp model power section would change its behaviour based on selected cab + SIC.

This assumes that all amp models had fixed baked-in SICs interaction behaviour before. Now that could be a wrong assumption, but if that's true, it would also mean that with the existing firmware, if you were to choose a cab that was less suited to a baked-in amp model SIC, then it wouldn't sound so good. Perhaps that is what's behind the years-old argument between Helix users where some say that the stock cabs sound good, whilst others don't like them - because outcomes are higly dependent on what combination of cab + power section you choose; sometimes you get lucky!

And yes, before anybody points it out - I'm kinda obsessed with SICs the moment!
What's SIC?

When I compare the Helix with the Fractal or Strymon models, there's a little more push in the upper mids on the Helix that can make it sound more "harsh", and there's a little more of a dry/direct sound especially in the highs. I think there could be a little more smoothing to really add some sweetness to the tone.

On the cab side, they've always had something weird going on with the mic models like they are filtering a static IR rather than using different captures. It sounds more like EQ presets than different response. I'd really like to be able to run dual mics in a single block and have control over things like panning and levels, but have them interact more like two separate mics than two EQ filters. I also think they could improve the room mic as well.

I believe they addressed all those cab things with the Metallurgy plugin, so like everyone else I'd love to see that cab feature come to the Helix. I also really like the EQ section in the Metallurgy cabs as well as the dynamic LPF which would be nice to see added to the input block.

Last edited:
I might have to try out 3.2 if it turns out the hype is real. You can’t trust the interwebs over first hand experience.

Thinking XL will be the way to go for a few more switches.

Any immediate pros and cons to share?

I might have to try out 3.2 if it turns out the hype is real. You can’t trust the interwebs over first hand experience.

Thinking XL will be the way to go for a few more switches.

Any immediate pros and cons to share?
Ahhhh the XL to me makes no sense. If it had the switches AND processing power upgrade; fuck yes. Otherwise; magic is just as much in the form factor. Which the OG has in spades over the XL.

Ahhhh the XL to me makes no sense. If it had the switches AND processing power upgrade; f**k yes. Otherwise; magic is just as much in the form factor. Which the OG has in spades over the XL.

I switched to a Stomp XL as my main gigging rig these days, and i freaking love the thing. It's about the size of 1 and a half Stomp OGs in length, and you get 8 footswitches, extended snapshotting capabilites and hands-free editing. Sounds great, and i rarely run into DSP limits with my patches, which are mostly straightforward rock stuff.

Yet, if L6 released a dual-DSP version i'd buy one in a heartbeat - twice. Hell, i'd kill for a truly desktop version of Helix, something in, say, the HX Effect's form factor.

Last edited:
I switched to a Stomp XL as my main gigging rig these days, and i freaking love the thing. It's about the size of 1 and a half Stomp OGs in length, and you get a 8 footswitches, with extended snapshotting capabilites and hands-free editing. Sounds great, and i rarely run into DSP limits with my patches, which are mostly straightforward rock stuff.

Yet, if L6 released a dual-DSP version i'd buy one in a heartbeat - twice. Hell, i'd kill for a truly desktop version of Helix - something in, say, the HX Effect's form factor.
If there was a Stomp with full power; I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I don't run out of power on my presets; even ones where I all in with the Stomp vs using it for post stuff with an amp. It's just that sweet spot of functionality and size as is.
:chef

Back