Going to Boston In A Month

Byrdman

Roadie
Wifey wants to go for a extended weekend and we'll be travelling around the area for 4 days. Any recommendations on things to do and see, and not just Boston because we will be running around other areas too?

We are flying in on an afternoon and friends from Kennebunk Maine are going to drive down and show us around. I would like to be able to throw out some suggestions so I'm not pigeonholed by the girls into a rooftop martini bar listening to someone butcher KennyG because I dont know what else to do.

@DrewJD82, I think you said you go up there in another thread, cant remember which one. What's there to do up there for Florida Boy?

Former Bostonian here - should be a great time to go. The Boston Commons are nice. Fenway is a great time. If you end up in back bay the reflection pool at the Christian Science Center is pretty cool.

I’d recommend hitting up New York Pizza on Tremont st or the Brookline Spa for great slices. I generally stay away from the north end and the tourist traps. The best food is usually NOT there.

Former Bostonian here - should be a great time to go. The Boston Commons are nice. Fenway is a great time. If you end up in back bay the reflection pool at the Christian Science Center is pretty cool.

I’d recommend hitting up New York Pizza on Tremont st or the Brookline Spa for great slices. I generally stay away from the north end and the tourist traps. The best food is usually NOT there.

There’s some good Italian joints in the North End, though!

Kennebunk isn’t too far from Portland, maybe 20 minutes, so I’d definitely stop there and check out the Old Port! It’s a lot like a mini-Boston and good for just walking around, lots of microbrews and if you dig seafood you’re not going to find many better places for it unless you start digging into the smaller towns. And if you’re into drums at all, the Portsmouth Drum Center is one of the most amazing drum shops I’ve ever been to, you have to go through Portsmouth (NH) when leaving Maine to head to Mass. My best friend from childhood works there, boutique drums with a nice small museum of drum history on the top floor.

Unfortunately, music stores aren’t a big hit in Boston these days. There’s a bunch of small bars/venues that have local performers so check out any local mags as there’s some variation in genres/musicians playing around and you never know when you’ll catch someone great in a little bar. The best store close to Boston would be Matt’s Music in Weymouth that has all the good Suhr/high end stuff, it’s about 20 minutes south of Boston. There’s a good size Guitar Center on the way in Braintree as well.

I’m a history geek and that was the biggest drawing point of Boston for me, you can take your pick of early America’s stories and go see the locations with some of the buildings still being in existence. If you have time, visiting Plymouth Plantation is pretty cool as well, but it’s about an 60-90 minutes outside Boston.

There’s some good Italian joints in the North End, though!
I was about to say... I know a lot has changed since I left, but no good food in the North End?? Say it ain't so!

images

I’ve always heard that, but was always underwhelmed by any of the places I ever tried up there. I wanted to like it though.

There’s plenty of ’pop and go’s’ up there as well; people trying to get established with what they consider fancy italian food and don’t end up lasting very long. Fortunately, you can ask the locals and after hitting up 2-3 you end up getting the same restaurants suggested and you can pick from there.

There’s plenty of ’pop and go’s’ up there as well; people trying to get established with what they consider fancy italian food and don’t end up lasting very long. Fortunately, you can ask the locals and after hitting up 2-3 you end up getting the same restaurants suggested and you can pick from there.
Yeah next time I’m up there I’ll give it another shot. I know you know what you’re talking about, so I’ve probably just had some outlier experiences.

My go-to for Italian up there is Sweet Basil in Needham. Their Bolognese is a work of art. They also encourage you to bring your own alcohol, which I always appreciated.

Last edited:
Back