Getting a tone and a groove.

E.g. I detest the guitars in your avatar, that style of guitar with a Floyd IMO looks terrible, usually has a neck I don't like and Floyds are so ugly and such a faff to use that I've never spent a lot of time with them.
I have one too...
:sofa

But only one! I swear! :rofl

nasty gnarly when played out of context.
The solo tone on Sympathy for the Devil is nasty, gnarly, out of context (tonally speaking, within the mix) but it completely works because you associate it with the devil. The right tone doesn't always mean good tone.

I have one too...
:sofa

But only one! I swear! :rofl

I have no problem with anyone having a guitar with a Floyd they're just not for me. I'm sure loads of people don't like my prs or purple tele either. My point was.... Ah it does matter. I've already made it over and over and over and over again to the arbiter of good tone.

The solo tone on Sympathy for the Devil is nasty, gnarly, out of context (tonally speaking, within the mix) but it completely works because you associate it with the devil. The right tone doesn't always mean good tone.
I agree. I was trying to start a discussion on how we all realise the music in our heads . Poor technique gets in the way . How to get a groove if your struggling too. But it went wrong.

I have no problem with anyone having a guitar with a Floyd they're just not for me. I'm sure loads of people don't like my prs or purple tele either. My point was.... Ah it does matter. I've already made it over and over and over and over again to the arbiter of good tone.
The purple Tele looks great. Can we have a bigger picture?.

Oh, I love your purple tele. I'll trade you my floyd for it?

I was trying to start a discussion on how we all realise the music in our heads . Poor technique gets in the way .
1693412390574.jpeg

Measurable learnable but you need to understand and hear it to use and manipulate it.

And it still doesn't tell you anything about quality. Learning micro timing (or being able to play within that realm by nature) is an achievement. Knowing how and when to make use of certain micro timing elements is another achievement. But still, none of all this is indicating "good" or even just "groovy" music. There's no exact definition for groove. EW&F is groovy AF. AC/DC is groovy AF. But all just in my opinion. Heck, this guy's performance is one of the grooviest things I've ever listened to (starts at 1:05 or so):

and there's gazlllions of folks who totally disagree and almost hate that kinda thing.

However, I absolutely agree that groove is *the* most important thing in music. Ever. Without any exception. "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" - true words have never been spoken. Still, there's no definition of good groove (as much as there's pretty much no quality definition in music at all). What exactly is "in the pocket" playing? Is it to be exactly in time with something else (a metronome, another player)? No. Is it playing like a metronome? No. Is it playing laid back? Or pushing it? No. It can be all of that but it doesn't have to be any.
Yet, you still rather be aware of the groove. Whatever it might be for you.

Last edited:
Back