Getting a tone and a groove.

The groove in this track made me want to be a musician. I was 10 when this album came out, and it means more to me than any guitar lick ever written.

Can drum machines groove?

Or, can musicians playing to a drum machine groove to the non-grooviness of an unperturbed machine?

:idk

Rick Beato says no to the first one.

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

Another formative song of my yoot.

Amen-break, check. Fatness, check. Pulsing basslines, check. It has the groove.

The groove in this track made me want to be a musician. I was 10 when this album came out, and it means more to me than any guitar lick ever written.

I was 14 when that album came out. I had it on tape and played it so much the tape wore out and I could hear the other side bleeding through, it got kinda cool in places. In about 2003 my car got broken into, they left the car and stole some cds, this was one of them. Bastards

but good technique is a prerequisite to realise communicating the vision.
Jimmy Page is the immediate example that comes to mind to blow that assertion completely out of the water.

Dude, you need to stop trying to impose you very rigid views on everyone.

I agree with what's been said: Music is completely subjective. Which is one reason it's so fucking great. There are no rules!

Can drum machines groove?

Or, can musicians playing to a drum machine groove to the non-grooviness of an unperturbed machine?

:idk

Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois would certainly seem to think so!

As do I, when we're talking about the groove of a single player/ instrument I think dynamics have a huge part to play in creating groove - the ghost notes and the emphases create tension and release just as much as timing discrepancies. I actually think a large part of timing "imperfection" comes from dynamics - that loud snare backbeat sits behind the groove partially because the drummer lifted his arm further, and the soft in between hits push for the opposite reason.

When we're talking about the groove of an ensemble, then it comes down to the push/pull and rhythmic tapestry created by multiple parts hanging together, and one element of the ensemble playing relentlessly in perfect time doesn't change that.

I think dynamics have a huge part to play in creating groove - the ghost notes and the emphases create tension and release just as much as timing discrepancies.

Every single bit this!

Also something to learn when programming drums in your DAW: you can quantize all day long (which most of us non-wizard finger drummers will likely have to), as long as you take care about certain dynamic aspects, things will be just fine. On the contrary, you can fool around with your quantize options swing, humanize and you-name-it functions all day long, in case there's no dynamics, things will still sound wrong.

Every single bit this!

Also something to learn when programming drums in your DAW: you can quantize all day long (which most of us non-wizard finger drummers will likely have to), as long as you take care about certain dynamic aspects, things will be just fine. On the contrary, you can fool around with your quantize options swing, humanize and you-name-it functions all day long, in case there's no dynamics, things will still sound wrong.
Human dynamics and

timing.

Back