Fractal Talk

Like the saxophone the guitar isn't considered a real instrument because it's not in the symphony orchestra.

Total B.S. but it is what it is.

I think it's a social class thing, too? Like guitars were cheap and could be toted around by the lower class, average joes on the street, etc. Though that's just my own idea, could be totally off.

Come on, TS. Get a Cape (or do Synth Judo!) and join me. :hugitout:banana:banana:pickle:pickle

Happy 80S GIF

Can you Improv on Piano?

One thing that blew my mind some time ago was playing with
some classically-trained musicians and them not being able to
play unless they had music to sight-read on the spot. I was shocked. :idk

I don't need Cue Cards to speak to someone at the Gas Station, why
would I need music to read in order to play music??

Are the musical worlds that different??

We have these endless discussions of what's wrong with the Fractal UI, saying the same things over and over, yet hardly any activity at all in the actual guitar playing/theory forum. It just makes me wonder how many of those people really play their guitar.
Hell, I should spend more time learning theory and practising. I can acknowledge that!

I see gear as something that either does the things you want, or gets in the way. These are not mutually exclusive. How much they get in the way vs what goes right is usually what determines if something stays or gets sold.

I think everyone has had moments when they just plug in, and the everything sounds so right that you just want to play and play. That's the best case scenario, that's what you get when you have that "perfectly" dialed patch for your Fractal and it just works with the guitar you use.

For me it often goes sideways if I swap guitars. I'd like to do at least some small adjustments to amp settings to accommodate the guitar, but keep the same preset. Or maybe I want to experiment with new sounds from all the fx on offer. That's when I get frustrated by the onboard UI or awkwardly holding my pick while trying to click around in Axe-Edit.

On a real amp, this is a few knob twists and back to playing. Same thing on most pedals. Obviously it's not easy to reconcile offering tons of functionality with super-straightforward usability as e.g Source Audio pedals when using the Neuro Editor run into similar issues.

That's what I like about the QC. It's got a pile of knobs that gets it much closer to that amp+pedals user experience. I'd use that if it had Fractal level fx and amp modeling too. Not that I can't make it work, but I can afford to be picky.

That's why I'm back to pedals and the BluGuitar Amp 1. I was just blasting it today through my 4x10 and it sounded glorious with nothing more than a bit of reverb and delay from the El Cap V2.

The factory presets have some gems.

Floating Swells is fantastic. :chef

The spaghetti western styled one with the wind blowing is awesome. Warped Vinyl is legit. It’s good fun running through them mining for some inspiration.

So today I put a patch together on the front interface.

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that the difficulty really comes down to having to build shunts yourself. The thing that Helix and Quad Cortex do for you that you have to do yourself on Axe3, is build the actual signal path + routing.

The time spent doing that stuff is the issue. I don't really think it has much to do with scrolling through pages of parameters.

Despite that, it sounds absolutely fantastic.

So today I put a patch together on the front interface.

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that the difficulty really comes down to having to build shunts yourself. The thing that Helix and Quad Cortex do for you that you have to do yourself on Axe3, is build the actual signal path + routing.

The time spent doing that stuff is the issue. I don't really think it has much to do with scrolling through pages of parameters.

Despite that, it sounds absolutely fantastic.
I just keep a blank patch with the shunts there, and copy it.

Oh it is perfectly acceptable. It is just a design decision or philosophy difference between the others, that I think leads towards the UX complaints that often pop up.

Basically - Fractal expect you to pull up your big boy pants, which is quite a large expectation it turns out... whereas the others know that we're all drivelling idiots who need help at every turn, and so they do that coz they want our beautiful delicious money coins.

Oh it is perfectly acceptable. It is just a design decision or philosophy difference between the others, that I think leads towards the UX complaints that often pop up.

Basically - Fractal expect you to pull up your big boy pants, which is quite a large expectation it turns out... whereas the others know that we're all drivelling idiots who need help at every turn, and so they do that coz they want our beautiful delicious money coins.
If these were operating systems, Fractal would be Linux, Helix would be Windows or Mac, and QC would be an iPad.
Linux has always had that same “well that’s the way it fucking is. It works, doesn’t it? WELL DOES IT?!” Attitude, when it comes to UI.

Back