Fractal Talk

Cant Believe Here We Go Again GIF by Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Gambon sucked as Dumbledore, terrible casting.

After Cliffs Dimarzio Dickcrusher & Masons Hammer plectrum comment, I forced myself to try to try to use my Dunlop .73’s again, which I used for decades before switching to Fender heavies 4-5 years ago. Took me a couple days to readjust, but I must say I’m kinda digging a lighter pick again. After a while you forget how hard you’re making yourself work with a heavy ass pick.

#marginallyfractalrelated
#whenfirmware?

I thought the main driving force behind the Dyna Cab implementation was the complaint that there were too many IR options to scroll through and that it was causing option paralysis. The Dyna Cabs give you a small selection of good cabs and the ability to mic them how you want with a small selection of microphones. Option paralysis solved. Now people want a return to the option paralysis.

Cant Believe Here We Go Again GIF by Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Please. Please just stop putting words in my mouth, and assuming I said something other than what I did.

JFC!!! :facepalm

I simply don't know why we do that to each other. It's exhausting. I am not "people." :beer

Last edited:
I really like the Dyna Cabs. Using them exclusively on my no just Amp/Cab presets.
I think some may not like them because the Dyna Cabs are not as polished and
smooth sounding as a lot of other IRs/Legacy Cabs can be. That rawness is much
more in your face (especially if you hover a 57 directly over the Cone!!). I am
blending the Ribbon (Royer?) with a 57, and loving the results. Other IRs are cool,
and I will still use a few. The Dyna Cabs just remind me of the days of directly
Mic'ing up a Cab/Speaker and then going with it.

They can also like an EQ by using the inherent Proximity Effect, and then adjusting
the Mic to taste. That said, you can also get caught up in the weeds of micro-adjusting
the Mic placement in the Dyna Cabs. :idk
Imo the dynacabs have more "sizzle" to them. If that makes sense!

Definitely get the rawness as well

I dunno if the DynaCabs added ‘more’ of anything you couldn’t get by seeking out a different IR, but for me they GREATLY dropped the amount of time I spent looking for the right IR down to a mere seconds of dragging the mics around and finding what I want, usually in under 30 seconds.

I was initially only using 1 cab and going with the 121, but the last month or so I’ve been using both the 121 and adding the 57 for some more highs. I rarely use different cabs when doing this.

I hated Folder IR Diving on the Helix was my biggest waste of time trying to dial in tones
with DynaCabs ill get what i want in very short amount of time, this was a big plus for me, yes I love to tweak but not to that extent of trying to find X IR for X song, I still have a few IR that I use but they are becoming more rare

:guiness

gotta be honest , I am not loving this most recent update on the Fm9 , I have tried it with several guitars and RANF and reset blocks

I find the low and low mids really kind of loose and hard to tighten up the high gain tones , tried several different York Ir, and it not doing it for me might roll back for now , I find it back to that darker side of the tones , which is fine I just tend to like a bit tighter and more focused in the lows
Are you relying solely on preamp gain or are you putting a drive in front to boost it and help tighten it up like you would on a real world amp exhibiting the same symptoms? The was the new firmware makes the drives interplay with the amps more like they do with the real thing is magical!

I really like the new EVH Stealth 2x12 cab. Dynamic 1 + Ribbon, maybe move the ribbon closer to center to taste. It sounds really nice. That kind of inspired me to use the York 5153 impulse both with Fractal and QC.

I bought the Axe III primarily as a multi-effects unit. When I saw that JP had replaced his 2290, his PCM 70, and his Eventide H3000, all with an Axe II (and later the III), I knew it was the one for me.

I was just looking at the effects blocks in one of his presets, to see what was going on, because the overall modulation of this tone is absolutely freaking GLORIOUS!!

It uses the Enhancer, in Stereoizer mode, with a fairly high width and about 1/3 depth, a Pitch block doing dual detune, + ~6 cents on one side and - ~5 cents on the other side, a light mix of ~20%, each side delayed btw ~10 and 15ms., a Tri Chorus from the Chorus block, L, R, & C @ 33%, 50%, and 66% depths, full (100%) stereo with ~50% mix, a Multi-tap delay using the PCM Pan type, w/ 2 different delays (768 & 376ms.), hard-panned, and a "regular" (LOL) Delay, Dual Delay type, 700ms. on one side, and 450 on the other, with varying levels of feedback, and high & low cuts, and these 2 delays are running in parallel.

It just boggles my mind that you can have this many mod-type effects strung together, and it DOES NOT mess with your base tone. And it sounds absolutely killer in the headphones!!

This is one of the reasons I think it would be so cool if we were able to get together, in person, with our gear, to be able to let each other HEAR these things. Like, do in-person comparisons. Not knocking other brands; I'd just be very interested to see if everyone (myself included) would still be satisfied with their own tones, once they hear others' rigs. :beer

I fucking LOVE this thing!

This whole deal with plucking an Amp and Cab out of the Fractal-verse and just
treating it all like the simplest of simple rigs is so much fucking fun. :banana

Bogner Blue with the 1960TV Dyna Cab last night. :love

Tonight I am either going Mesa Mark V and/or Fryette D(eliverance)60--having had
a good bit of experience with both, and still owning one of them.
I use the Bogner blue on the regular, pairing it with the Friedman greenback loaded dynacab with a 57 and a 121. I use cablab 4 to make it into one IR with the smoothness at 3. 🤌

I use the Bogner blue on the regular, pairing it with the Friedman greenback loaded dynacab with a 57 and a 121. I use cablab 4 to make it into one IR with the smoothness at 3. 🤌

Cool. I'll have to try the Friedman. Got stuck on the Marshall 1960, and never messed about
with any other Cab. I know all of this stuff sounds good, and I am just picking what I know
from real life works great together and rolling with it. :beer

More playing and less schmutzing about. :LOL:

Haha! Mostly talking about Greenbacks. :beer

I really need a legit Greenback Cab in my life someday. :unsure:

How was your ride, TS?

Haha! Mostly talking about Greenbacks. :beer

I really need a legit Greenback Cab in my life someday. :unsure:

How was your ride, TS?

Yes, there's magic in them there greenbacks, for sure.

Amazing, thank you! I am loving this V7 so much, it's an absolute joy to ride. I'm now at 800km and I picked it up two days ago. With the weekend I have planned, I think I'm going to hit the 1500km service point on Sunday or Monday. :headbang

And I gotta say, there's magic in V-Twins, just like greenbacks! :love

That's so cool you are riding so much. And you found a bike better suited to you. Fantastic! :beer

I have a nice riding weekend planned. Not huge miles.... but will include a nice ride over to
the Lake Huron shoreline and then overnight camping tomorrow, before heading home
Sunday. My first significant ride of the Summer in many ways. :love

That's so cool you are riding so much. And you found a bike better suited to you. Fantastic! :beer

I have a nice riding weekend planned. Not huge miles.... but will include a nice ride over to
the Lake Huron shoreline and then overnight camping tomorrow, before heading home
Sunday. My first significant ride of the Summer in many ways. :love

Nice! I imagine there's some beautiful riding spots in Michigan. I'm in a great Ontario area right now, west of Ottawa. Maybe similar?

(Maybe we should move this convo to your bike thread? Unless we want to talk motorbike UI and how it compares to Fractal? :rofl)

Back