Fractal Talk

In case you didn't know, you're not limited to one layout for effects. You can program the tap or hold function on any button to switch to a different layout, and populate that layout with lesser used effects.

I was actually just thinking about that, keeping the primary layout to 10 fx blocks, then dedicating one FS to toggling to a second layout with the “other” secondary stuff like Rotary, Tremolo etc.

That will be great, because on this preset (just effects, no amps or cabs since it’s running 4CM with the JC) I still have a bunch of CPU left.

Last edited:
I was actually just thinking about that, keeping the primary layout to 10 fx blocks, then dedicating one FS to toggling to a second layout with the “other” secondary stuff like Rotary, Tremolo etc.

That will be great, because on this preset (just effects, no amps or cabs since it’s running 4 with the JC) I still have a bunch of CPU left.

Just to hurt your brain even more, you can also run "per preset" layouts, which can be custom tailored for each preset. So you can populate the board with just the effects in that preset, then have a completely different set of effects for the next preset.

Is there a way to make the FC’s display the Type that is active not the block name? (Ex. 2290 vs Delay)

Has it ever been requested to have the Axe store and display the block library name, if a block library was originally used? After a reboot the library name disappears and you’re back to just the Type name, it would be awesome if it cached the library name for that channel until it is changed to something different. (I’m talking the library name, not importing the blocks locally, which would be cool also)

Tried the MultiDelay and TenTap blocks. LT has some killer libraries for those too. Before this is over I’m going to have one layout for delay and reverb blocks, and then another layout for everything else. :ROFLMAO:

Using an FC makes it soooooo much easier to explore on the Axe. Edit is great, but it is so much more fun to stomp around and stack stuff in combos you might not otherwise when using a mouse. Should have added one of these sooner. (y)

Last edited:
Told You So Comedy GIF by NETFLIX

Yep. On the FC edit screen, there are two windows at the bottom (one for tap function, one for hold) where you can create custom names for the scribble strips.

Can you do a custom name per channel? So when you hold function between the four channels it is displaying the active type name (or active custom name)

Like, engage FS, it display Stereo Tape which is active. Hold function, it increments to Channel B and displays Deluxe Mind Guy, you hold again and it goes to channel C and the FS disokays 2290 etc. Single tap it bypasses off, but shows 2290, which is the active Channel when it gets engaged again. If that makes any sense.

Can you do a custom name per channel? So when you hold function between the four channels it is displaying the active type name (or active custom name)

Like, engage FS, it display Stereo Tape which is active. Hold function, it increments to Channel B and displays Deluxe Mind Guy, you hold again and it goes to channel C and the FS disokays 2290 etc. Single tap it bypasses off, but shows 2290, which is the active Channel when it gets engaged again. If that makes any sense.

Not positive, but I don't think it goes quite that deep. Just the basic tap and hold functions.

No... The Custom label is a single value label.

There have been wishes to allow the display to show the type/model for each channel but as yet not implemented.

In any case, that would really fall mostly outside the current paradigm of footswitch labels showing "where am I going" vs "where am I".

Has it ever been requested to have the Axe store and display the block library name, if a block library was originally used?
The hardware has no awareness of the block library. They are just saved block settings that are handy for loading into a preset thru the editor.

The scene today:

View attachment 25676

Helping a pal dial in a really cool dual Plexi 6CA7 patch, with parallel delays and reverb, two cab blocks as well. Sounds god-like.

Ooh how do you find the Laneys? I've been thinking about those as a powered cab for my stomp. There's nowhere to try them out here so I'd need to order blind. They seem like remarkably good value for money.

No... The Custom label is a single value label.

(y) Makes sense.

It would be cool if you could define a custom label per channel, but really if Type were a display option custom labels per channel wouldn’t be needed.

There have been wishes to allow the display to show the type/model for each channel but as yet not implemented.

In any case, that would really fall mostly outside the current paradigm of footswitch labels showing "where am I going" vs "where am I".

I’m not sure “Delay” is telling me where I’m going anymore more than “Deluxe Mind Guy”. If anything, having the scribble strip displaying the currently selected channel Type gives a better idea of what you’re actually engaging, and when using increment/decrement to scroll through the channels, showing Type eliminates guess work waiting to pick up on the auditory cues.

I think this is just a logical display option to give users, and if people just want the block type or a custom value that makes sense too. Options are good.

The hardware has no awareness of the block library. They are just saved block settings that are handy for loading into a preset thru the editor.

Yeah, makes sense. It would be cool if they could store at least the block library name, at least for display purposes. Custom labels per channel could be a workaround here for those that would like to note it in some way.

@FractalAudio Any chance we can have a “Display Type” option on next weeks Firmware Friday? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Very sweet are those Powered cabs? Like the front lighting

Ooh how do you find the Laneys? I've been thinking about those as a powered cab for my stomp. There's nowhere to try them out here so I'd need to order blind. They seem like remarkably good value for money.
Yeah Laney LFR112’s. They sound fantastic. At this point, they are THE solution for me.

if Type were a display option custom labels per channel wouldn’t be needed

@FractalAudio Any chance we can have a “Display Type” option on next weeks Firmware Friday?

This is an awesome idea! You should totally start a wishlist thread on the Fractal Forum for this, in the FC section. They take those seriously, and maybe it would carry more weight than only writing here, especially if a bunch of people +1 it. I would think also allowing custom labels per channel would be extremely helpful, perhaps even moreso.

This is an awesome idea! You should totally start a wishlist thread on the Fractal Forum for this, in the FC section. They take those seriously, and maybe it would carry more weight than only writing here, especially if a bunch of people +1 it. I would think also allowing custom labels per channel would be extremely helpful, perhaps even moreso.
I expect custom label per channel is not something where they want to spend the effort and memory to make it (needs new UI too), but a "display current channel model name" option might be possible.

Back