Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

I tend to think of Cliff as the genius / mad scientist behind Fractal tech and Matt as the "public face" of Fractal but I'm sure that's a very oversimplified view.
1729312782150.png

You can use it in 4cm.
Got it. I checked the wiki and I noticed that it's possible to run it in mono. Imho would have been a good idea to avoid a casual passer by to walk away with the idea I had that it can't to add a second set of labels by the jacks, let's say in a different color, to indicate what is what when doing 4cm. Plus it would make it easier to remember which one goes where. It's the small things.

Got it. I checked the wiki and I noticed that it's possible to run it in mono. Imho would have been a good idea to avoid a casual passer by to walk away with the idea I had that it can't to add a second set of labels by the jacks, let's say in a different color, to indicate what is what when doing 4cm. Plus it would make it easier to remember which one goes where. It's the small things.
Thanks for stopping by, casual passerby! :grin

So I gather this Product is a hit for Folks who use amps and don't want to buy a pedal board
For sure the Fractal Effects are fantastic, Ideally 4 blocks should be enough but wonder if its limiting to some
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The FM9 is better for someone who wants to replace an entire pedalboard. The VP4 is probably better for most people if you put it on a pedalboard with some of your favorite pedals. Using it solo is for someone who doesn’t need much or is ok to work within some limitations.

I could get buy with it alone for a gig, but I couldn’t do the stuff I normally do and it wouldn’t be my favorite way to do things. Give me a few gain pedals with it and I probably can do everything I want to live with that on a small board.

D

The FM9 is better for someone who wants to replace an entire pedalboard. The VP4 is probably better for most people if you put it on a pedalboard with some of your favorite pedals. Using it solo is for someone who doesn’t need much or is ok to work within some limitations.

I could get buy with it alone for a gig, but I couldn’t do the stuff I normally do and it wouldn’t be my favorite way to do things. Give me a few gain pedals with it and I probably can do everything I want to live with that on a small board.

D
The FM9 imo is the sweet spot fractal unit. Such a good addition

So I gather this Product is a hit for Folks who use amps and don't want to buy a pedal board
For sure the Fractal Effects are fantastic, Ideally 4 blocks should be enough but wonder if its limiting to some
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unless they need more than four effects simultaneously then they could just use the seamless preset switching to provide access to more effects.

The VP4 is probably better for most people if you put it on a pedalboard with some of your favorite pedals. Using it solo is for someone who doesn’t need much or is ok to work within some limitations.
Yeah, for me it's a way to get into the Fractal world -- their effects have always gotten rave reviews. I'm not necessarily in the market for another modeler unit like an FM9, but the VP4 would be a great addition running with my amps and/or in combination with my preamps pedals. A have the 4 Vox Valvenergy pedals which I love, so incorporating those with the VP4 and some other choice pedals, running all through a Voodoo Lab PX8 Plus switcher would be ideal.

Yeah, for me it's a way to get into the Fractal world -- their effects have always gotten rave reviews. I'm not necessarily in the market for another modeler unit like an FM9, but the VP4 would be a great addition running with my amps and/or in combination with my preamps pedals. A have the 4 Vox Valvenergy pedals which I love, so incorporating those with the VP4 and some other choice pedals, running all through a Voodoo Lab PX8 Plus switcher would be ideal.
So let me get this straight. Because I've been very confused by most of the criticism of the VP4.

You're saying that if you got one, you would use it in a way that Cliff has clearly stated that it was designed for?????

Are you sure you don't want to shoe horn it in to a rig in ways that were never intended, and then bitch endlessly about how Fractal fucked it up?
One Of Us GIF

Last edited:
You're saying that if you got one, you would use it in a way that Cliff has clearly stated that it was designed for?????
Great minds...
:rollsafe

:rofl

I'm excited because I've never been one to purchase boutique reverb or delay pedals. That part alone will be worth it, but then throw in all the other mod effects, etc.. I'll have my hands full for a while to come. :love

I am interested in hearing your experience with those Vox pedals. I have looked at those a time or 37 myself :bag:love
Out of all of them I think the Mystic Edge would be the one that I'd have to keep -- if given an ultimatum. Beautiful midrange and clarity, sweet top end. Makes a killer boost/flavorer or a standalone lower gain drive. The Copperhead is awesome too. Those 2 would cover most things. But all of them are unique and do a great job of what they're trying to mimic -- Vox, Marshall, Recto, Dumble. Having the nutube in there really does make a difference in feel and top end clarity.

Last edited:
The folks that really love the Helix Ecosystem are much more into the "my smart phone is linked to my smart watch and integrated with my car's infotainment system and my google calendar and cross-platformed to my apple calendar, all handled by this one widget to make my life simpler" approach to things. There is nothing wrong with that.
When your wife and you are both busy professionals, you have 2-3 kids, everyone has doctor appointments, kids have karate classes, baseball, tutoring, etc., if you don't do exactly this you will drive yourself insane.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It will also be a hit for those of us that just want a small do-it-all effects box to set on top of an amplifier and control via MIDI from a footcontroller.

Back