Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

It's here! Now I have to wait for the amp I bought to arrive :bonk

TGF: This man gets it ☝️

Meme Reaction GIF

Last edited:
So I gather this Product is a hit for Folks who use amps and don't want to buy a pedal board
For sure the Fractal Effects are fantastic, Ideally 4 blocks should be enough but wonder if its limiting to some
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@JiveTurkey

I'm trying to plot my new setup out in my head. Like you, I don't mix the GM800 with my guitar signal. It's either/or. So, removing my FM3 from the equation, and using the IR-J with the VP4, how would I set this up to not mix the two? I have a Temple board with the DI Mod Pro that I'll use to run out to the return of my DSL40 and use the (meh) DSL's emulated out to run to the board. I can just set the GM800 to a blank preset on the guitar only stuff, but how would I keep the guitar out of the way of the synth stuff with no way to bypass the IR-J? Wait...is the loop on the VP4 bypassable...? Let me just RTFM.

@JiveTurkey

I'm trying to plot my new setup out in my head. Like you, I don't mix the GM800 with my guitar signal. It's either/or. So, removing my FM3 from the equation, and using the IR-J with the VP4, how would I set this up to not mix the two? I have a Temple board with the DI Mod Pro that I'll use to run out to the return of my DSL40 and use the (meh) DSL's emulated out to run to the board. I can just set the GM800 to a blank preset on the guitar only stuff, but how would I keep the guitar out of the way of the synth stuff with no way to bypass the IR-J? Wait...is the loop on the VP4 bypassable...? Let me just RTFM.
I was wondering the same thing. Panning between input 1 and 2 would an obvious choice if it's an option 🤔

Mine just locked up on one of the factory presets (K1:S1). It kept passing audio, but the UI was unresponsive and I had to reboot.
Report it on the Fractal Forum so they can take a look at it. They’ll likely want you to send them your config file.

So I gather this Product is a hit for Folks who use amps and don't want to buy a pedal board
For sure the Fractal Effects are fantastic, Ideally 4 blocks should be enough but wonder if its limiting to some
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The most limiting thing IMHO is only being able to use it either in front or after the preamp unless I missed something. For some genres it works, but for metal for example it's just not going to cut it at all.

Turns out my interpretation was correct. Last nail -> coffin. No additional blocks.

Note that Matt said that after the previous post I made...

To be fair, Cliff said one thing, Matt said something counter to that.

If I were betting, my money would be on the founder to win the split decision ;)

Not taking anything away from Matt, though. He obviously has strong opinions on what the product should be.

Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Second in command? Right hand man? Man Friday?

I think he is the guy that keeps people from driving Cliff insane
I think all of the above.

He is also works with artists, writes the manuals, creates presets with amazing and creative use of effects (which he seems to have an outstanding knowledge of), provides great support, is an excellent teacher and a good dude to top it off!

I tend to think of Cliff as the genius / mad scientist behind Fractal tech and Matt as the "public face" of Fractal but I'm sure that's a very oversimplified view.

Actually, I wouldn't surprised to find out that the VP4 was masterminded by Matt.

I'm glad to see Matt over here, too!

Back