Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

I just tried it. It reloads the preset, a block that was off at load but I toggled on before hitting the same preset selection a second time is toggled back to off. So that includes having switched from preset mode to effects mode, toggling on an effects block, returning to preset mode and hitting the same preset again.
Not sure of any other behavior, if midi had been used instead etc. but that’s what I got trying it out that way

Thank you for checking!
This is great, just what I was hoping for. The ability to reload presets makes things easier for someone like me who likes to tweak things on the fly.
One of the (many) things that frustrates me with the H90 is that I have to go to a different preset and back to the current one to reload.

The now infamous Cooper Carter just did a video on the foot switch options on the G66 YouTube page.

I watched CC's video but he didn't touch on that specific behavior as far as I recall.

Can you please tell me what happens when you're in Preset mode and you tap the selected preset again?
atomic bomb explosion GIF

The one thing I wonder about is will the midi PC be resent, I think it likely would but I don’t have it hooked up to anything so not sure. I know some controllers have an option to either allow it or not.

Getting along with the VP4 as I expected owning the FM9. It is definitely nice not having to worry about a large routing grid and the UI of the FM9 just for running a few post drive FX. This board is going into the front of a Revv D20.

Some of the presets have the noise gate set with a generous threshold value so I've been backing it off or removing it altogether. I was able to dial in delays to sound basically the same as a Timeline by dropping the VP4 default high cuts, but you get so much more in the VP4 with the multi-tap and plex delays. The Flint tremolo is one of my favorite Strymon sounds and the Fractals are close, but not 100%. Not enough difference for me to keep the Flint on the board.

I've got the mini expression pedal controlling input volume (with tuner auto-engage on heel down) and the footswitch is set for tap tempo at the moment. And, yes, I've got 5 drives on here...its all for fun at the house. :cool:

Board IMG_0469.jpeg

Last edited:
Can someone show the tuner please?

This is just a still photo, but hope this is helpful. I can record a video if you need to see the tracking/speed. It works as well as the Strobostomp, IMO.

All 3 parts are active when tuning. Top is Boss style, middle is the left and right arrows that sync up when in tune, and the bottom has a rotating strobe in red.

IMG_0470.jpeg

Getting along with the VP4 as I expected owning the FM9. It is definitely nice not having to worry about a large routing grid and the UI of the FM9 just for running a few post drive FX. This board is going into the front of a Revv D20.

Some of the presets have the noise gate set with a generous threshold value so I've been backing it off or removing it altogether. I was able to dial in delays to sound basically the same as a Timeline by dropping the VP4 default high cuts, but you get so much more in the VP4 with the multi-tap and plex delays. The Flint tremolo is one of my favorite Strymon sounds and the Fractals are close, but not 100%. Not enough difference for me to keep the Flint on the board.

I've got the mini expression pedal controlling input volume (with tuner auto-engage on heel down) and the footswitch is set for tap tempo at the moment. And, yes, I've got 5 drives on here...its all for fun at the house. :cool:

View attachment 31338

Hey, I’ve got the Whirlwind phase, great pedal, love it. I’ve had it for about 10 years. If I do put anything in front of the amp, it will be that plus a wah.

Glad the VP4 is working for you. I love mine. It’s fantastic in the loop!

Here's what I've got in mind for a board with the VP4 and Mark VII.

VP4 in the VII loop, everything else in front and Ampero for switching amp channels + EQ on/off on the VII. TC Helicon for vocal processing.

HX One is kind of, "why not, I have it and it fits"... would save me switching some presets on the VP4 and allow me to have octave-down pitch stuff in front, which I prefer. Also gives me access to my beloved Transistor Tape delay, which I still can't totally replicate in a Fractal unit, as well as HX Reverse delay, which I love. It could also maybe replace the Stowaway as a first-in-line buffer, but I tried that the other day and didn't love it. Really enjoying keeping the signal in front of the VII as simple/analog as possible, so we'll see.

(MXR Phase would actually be the black Whirlwind Orange Box, but pedalboardplanner doesn't have it.)

Image 2024-10-20 at 11.11 AM.jpeg

I'm futzing around building out a board lazily as we speak. I need another pedal power but I don't want to spring for anything right now. I'm still circling the IR-D :bag

The VP4 is so fun to build a board around! I think it's absolutely perfect for what it was intended for. All these losers/naysayers are just completely missing the point (ie. why doesn't it have amps, only four blocks/switches waahhh, etc).

yeah I'm definitely the only consumer in history that didn't spend a full day reading a manual before forming an opinion on a new product.
Sure but I personally would assume a effects only unit to be able to do 4cm. And then if I wasn't sure I wouldn't state that it can't on a forum

Back