Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

When your wife and you are both busy professionals, you have 2-3 kids, everyone has doctor appointments, kids have karate classes, baseball, tutoring, etc., if you don't do exactly this you will drive yourself insane.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 2 kids, both busy professionals, plenty of activities and appointments, and the 3-month whiteboard calendar on the fridge is by far the most reliable approach for us. My wife's messenger app has like 100+ unread messages in it...

Ok, having a blast with the VP4 Post-FX presets in the loop of the MkVII. Most fun I've had with "pre-cooked" presets in a digital unit, by far.

Julie Andrews Spinning GIF by The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization

And overall I'm finding the VP4 super well-designed and just perfect for this application. Love the interface and simplified effects controls. I may be able to roll with nothing but the VII + VP4 in the loop and either the Mesa footswitch or an Ampero midi controller I picked up.

Ok, having a blast with the VP4 Post-FX presets in the loop of the MkVII. Most fun I've had with "pre-cooked" presets in a digital unit, by far.

Julie Andrews Spinning GIF by The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization

And overall I'm finding the VP4 super well-designed and just perfect for this application. Love the interface and simplified effects controls. I may be able to roll with nothing but the VII + VP4 in the loop and either the Mesa footswitch or an Ampero midi controller I picked up.
Nice to hear! :pickle

(And I do see the irony in the phrase "nothing but the VII and VP4", as if it's some kind of minimalist setup. :grin

"Nothing but a three-channel, 9-mode amp with total individual channel control, multiple wattages, graphic EQ + reverb, onboard midi control + CabClone/IR out, plus a digital effects unit that contains nearly every effect from the top effects/modeler company in the world."

Sure, you're barely bringing anything! :rofl)

Last edited:
The digital/modeling subform more than any other is filled with people comparing signal processors based on features that are far outside of the actual signal processing. Not finding fault with that because people buy things for different reasons - some are much more interested in how their processor can also be a controller and that's totally fine.

There are loads of paths/tools one can choose to make their life "easier". Some folks use a smart phone with lots of lists/notes/reminder apps/calendar apps/blah blah blah to keep their life in order. Others use sticky notes all over the place. Still others just have a white board calendar.

The folks that really love the Helix Ecosystem are much more into the "my smart phone is linked to my smart watch and integrated with my car's infotainment system and my google calendar and cross-platformed to my apple calendar, all handled by this one widget to make my life simpler" approach to things. There is nothing wrong with that. Others still just put up a few sticky notes, or use a whiteboard calendar hanging on the refrigerator door to organize their life and they get by just fine.

But when a non-Helix; non-control-focused brand releases a new signal processor that is pretty darn impressive as a signal processor, and folks respond with "wow, its really lacking in features" rather than "that's cool, but I can't really give up the processor/controller mindset", its kind of like being on a camera forum when a camera company releases a small, compact camera with pretty staggering camera specs and folks reply with "but my iPhone camera does everything I need and so much more". Or, in the other analogy, reply in a thread about a new whiteboard calendar with "but its just a cool whiteboard...it might tell me that I have an event to attend on Tuesday night, but it doesn't store my e-tickets to the event electronically, or give me directions to the event!"

There clearly is still LOADS of market space for devices that are focused mostly on signal processing and how the device can control its own signal processing -- see: Eventide, Strymon, Meris, etc. To the extent they are "competing" with control-focused signal processors that are aimed not just at controlling themselves but being the brain for an entire rig, those companies have all conceded that battle in the "competition". This isn't short-sighted on the part of those makers, its a decision with the recognition that there is plenty of room to make and sell products and achieve whatever their internal sales/financial goals are without having to own all or even most of the signal processing market share.

I understand your point but I don't think is valid in this case.

The VP4, like another fractal product is perfectly capable of being a control focused device but compared to other similar products can be seen as limited. Well because it is.

And I don't see how a vp4 is more signal processing oriented than an hxfx.
They both process signals. One might prefer one to the other, one might be more capable in some areas but they basically do the same stuff.

the vp4 is a great device, don't get me wrong, but some players might prefer an hxfx or whatever to it not because the vp4 is signalv processing oriented but because offers less in other areas.

;)

Last edited:
I learned to not say HXFX or wanting a stomp sized pedal on this forum.

Last edited:
@TubeStack, great to hear you're loving it so far. I bet your setup sounds epic!

Can you please tell me what happens when you're in Preset mode and you tap the selected preset again? i.e you're on preset 2 and you tap footswitch 2.
Is it reloading the preset? Turning it off? or maybe showing the presets list?

@TubeStack, great to hear you're loving it so far. I bet your setup sounds epic!

Can you please tell me what happens when you're in Preset mode and you tap the selected preset again? i.e you're on preset 2 and you tap footswitch 2.

Thanks, yes it does!

Not sure. I’ll have to check later as I’m out now.

I just tried it. It reloads the preset, a block that was off at load but I toggled on before hitting the same preset selection a second time is toggled back to off. So that includes having switched from preset mode to effects mode, toggling on an effects block, returning to preset mode and hitting the same preset again.
Not sure of any other behavior, if midi had been used instead etc. but that’s what I got trying it out that way

The now infamous Cooper Carter just did a video on the foot switch options on the G66 YouTube page.

Back