Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

I'm mostly a plugin guy now and initially thought I didn't need the VP4. Now that all the info is out, my thoughts have changed and I will definitely be buying one as soon as they are available from G66. It will sit right in front of my audio interface and take care of all the pre effects like overdrive, wah, chorus etc.
I'm really pleased that the VP4 has an SPDIF connection, so I can plug it in without any additional conversion.
@2112 Will the trick with an LFO filter to control the Wah that you showed in one of your videos also work with the VP4?

giphy.gif
Strymon will be fine. So will Eventide. I highly doubt the VP4 does much of anything towards the user base of these two.

Whilst I use and am am very happy with my FM3 ... this is probably not going to be a popular take.

Its US $50 more than the HXFX and the HXFX has an absolute sh*t-ton more of everything - except for not having a variable Input Impedance which is an issue for some.

I've spent a lot of time with the HX line and the Axe line ... I find the "but its Fractal level EFX" to be irrelevant in terms of gigging .... for home recording purposes ... maybe (?)

But that's just me.

I do expect though that Fractal will sell *a f*ck-ton* of these to traditional Strymon buyers / users ... especially at the US $699 price point.

Strymon has got to be looking at this and thinking this is a very big potential problem for them - I can see a lot of Strymon units hitting Reverb etc... in the coming weeks.

Anyway ... that's how I see it.

Regardless of my opinion .. its great to see Fractal grow and add to their line of hardware .... awesome for everyone !
Honestly I think a lot of people are missing a point here.

Fractal could have charged exactly the same price for a simple plex/reverb/delay fx unit…

I know that nowadays the internet wants everything for 10$ but come on guys…

Where do you find those stellar effects for that price ?? Be honest please.

Sure the vp4 could have had more outs, more this, more that but then the usual interneters would say « way too pricy fractal sucks » while being capable of buying a 400$ reverb, or their 10th 279$ Klone boutique clone.

The point of this product (to me) is just bringing the first class and still not beaten quality of fractal effects into the amp world, not making an axefx Pedalboard.

If you want more you have to realize that you just have to buy an fm9, your perfect product for your needs already exists

Last edited:
Meanwhile, over at the Fractal Forum…
Like I said before, insufferable.
Seriously! Some people just do not have the capacity to understand. I've been playing guitar for over 30 years now, and the thought of having Eventide, TC, Lexicon - quality effects, a $15k+ rack system, condensed to a 10x6 stamp on a pedalboard for $700 is mind-blowing.

The VP4 has $10k+ in drives alone under the hood, plus effects that don't just rival but beat TC's delays, Eventide's micropitch, Lexicon's reverbs, etc.

I don't know, maybe I just have the perspective of an older player, but modern technology, especially from brands like Fractal in models like the VP4, is just incredible. I'm in awe of everything we have to work with as modern players.

Beautiful music here, more than just a product demo:

Love Larry and yeah, there's some lovely tones in that video.

But WTF? He was using a Simplifier X? It never sounded that nice for me! One of the few products that I had to send back immediately. And I tried those knobs in every possible combination that I could think off. Starting to wonder if mine was a defective dud.

Im shocked!!! Came to the forum and my spamming thread has been closed, find you all here and there 11 (mobile) pages.
Wtf

Joking aside. VP4 looks great, awesome stuff, will watch some videos. I’m happy and excited for those of you who will get it!
:beer

Also que Cordy for “we need to talk about….”
And Steve “that’s why I quit using Stomp XL”

Giv’em a few weeks, it will happen :rofl

I think this one is good for a lot of folks. The price is good also... but.. in 2024 (soon 2025) why not a touchscreen?? :idk
Button press, enter enter, page, hmmm.
I hope Fractal drops the button stuff on the next gen floor devices. Then I will take a look

I think this one is good for a lot of folks. The price is good also... but.. in 2024 (soon 2025) why not a touchscreen?? :idk
I hope Fractal drops the button stuff on the next gen floor devices. Then I will take a look

A tiny touch screen on the floor? Wouldn't work for me.

I don't think a touchscreen would make a whole lot of difference with the current design of the VP4. You could tap on a block to select it and swipe between pages. Unlike a more complex modeler, there's not a whole lot of selecting stuff involved in this.

Not everything needs a touchscreen. Yes. The QC touchscreen is okay. Better than my first experience with it. But c'mon... it aint revolutionary. Touchscreens are not essential.

A tiny touch screen on the floor? Wouldn't work for me.
If you take the buttons off, you have room for a touchscreen. But as I said, folks will like it just like it is. It`s just not up to 2024 spec in my book

Last edited:
I don't think a touchscreen would make a whole lot of difference with the current design of the VP4. You could tap on a block to select it and swipe between pages. Unlike a more complex modeler, there's not a whole lot of selecting stuff involved in this.
2 rows to edit, you need to `page` down just like the Axe Fx II back in the day. I just don`t like a lot of buttons

Selecting an effect block should cause any 4 relevant parameters on top or below to instantly show up, mapped to the encoders. Would save *truckloads* of clicks. There's enough for this to exist as well (could be an additional display mode and I'd take any bet people would keep it on all the time).

2 rows to edit, you need to `page` down just like the Axe Fx II back in the day. I just don`t like a lot of buttons
IMO it's much less of an issue on the VP4 when it has a much more simplified set of controls instead of the plethora of different pages each with their own layout you find on the big boy Fractals.

You would not adjust those virtual parameter knobs with your fingers so mostly you just swap "turn scroll knob" for "tap second row".

It's also worth remembering that this is a derivative product from the current lineup, rather than a next gen device built from the ground up. Under the hood I expect it shares a lot of Axe-Fx 3 code.

This is most likely also the "between generations" product that will bring a lot of sales for Fractal while they work on their next gen modeler lineup.

Back